Srirl text displays as rectangles in OSX Mojave

Problem with display of characters. I don’t get type, I see vertical rectangles in place of characters, each rectangle has 4 characters within. Oddly, I see this in Gimp 2.8 as well. Any ideas?
MacBoot Pro 2012 running OSX 10.14.6.
By the way, SiriL displays properly on the BootCamp Win 10 side of my Mac.

One other question; Is there a default font that SiriL wants? Perhaps I don’t have that font on my Mac?

Solved my problem. My last question as to what is the default font for Gimp and for SiriL, is Sans Bold. Installed the font and now I see text in both application. Might want to add this to the FAQ

How did you install fonts?

This is this issue

Could you tell me if, without installing fonts, this image works please: https://262-233388310-gh.circle-artifacts.com/0/builds/siril-1.0.0-rc3-x86_64-b262-mainline.dmg

lock042:
The file you requested opened correctly. I am not sure if the fonts were turned off in my Mac. I did defeat the Sans Bold font in an application I have called Font Book.

When I downloaded Sans Bold it was a TrueType font and it came as a .tiff image and was enabled via Font Book. Sans Bold was not installed into my Fonts folder as is typical of Mac or Adobe fonts. So I’m not sure the Sans Bold font was un-installed.

I may be able to try on an older Mac to see if your test can be validated without Sans Bold. I did not attempt to stack with the rc-3 version.

Richard

1 Like

Update on last post regarding SansBold font. It isn’t a tiff file, it is a ttf (true type font). My older eyes and the tiny type in g-mail have deceived me yet again. I take no responsibility for not being able to see/read!

Richard

1 Like

Thx a lot

Hi, I’m having the same issue. Could you tell me exactly which is the missing font? There are a lot of XXX Sans Bold fonts on the web, I tried a few but with no luck. Thanks

You want to get a font known as TheSansBoldPlain. I suppose other Sans Bold fonts will work but that’s the one I used successfully.

Get the Font Book application from Apple (here):

https://support.apple.com/guide/font-book/install-and-validate-fonts-fntbk1000/mac

I trust this will work correctly after you launch the app, load TheSansBold Plain, and then open SiriL.

Richard

PS regarding the font loading within Font Book. When you load and subsequently launch Font Book, click the All Fonts icon atop the left most column. Search for TheSansBold. That should do it.

Richard

No luck with TheSansBold. Eventually, in my case there was an old font conflicting with Helvetica, apparently.

I installed TheSansBold, and it didn’t do a thing. I’m running Monterey.

Sorry to hear that you didn’t have any luck with TheSansBold. In looking at my Font Book GUI, I have two fonts contained therein. Helvetica and TheSansBold. I had previously selected Helvetica as a guess to allow SiriL to display text instead of rectangles. No joy. Subsequent web searching suggested Sans Bold which did work. By the way, I have a Bootcamp partition running Win 10 Pro and it allowed SiriL to display correctly at first start up. Because I am using KStars 2 to drive my mount and camera, I wanted to run a Mac specific stacking app.

Richard

How do you select the font for the program to use?

Donald:
Acquire Font Book from Apple.
https://support.apple.com/guide/font-book/create-manage-font-collections-libraries-fb34860/mac

Open Font Book. Find the All Fonts icon at the top, left corner of the user interface. You can see it on the above specified web page highlighted in gray… Click on All Fonts and scroll down to TheSansBold. If this doesn’t work, try adding Helvetica as well. That will replicate a known working environment on my MacBook Pro running Mojave.

Richard

I have Font Book, and it’s showing The Sans Bold-Bold Plain is active, as is Helvetica, yet I still get those squares in Siril.

Donald:
Regarding your possessing Font Book and TheSansBold. I might recommend a reboot of your computer if you have not already done so. I don’t believe it is necessary but it cannot hurt.
Additionally, you might delete the SiriL installer and related downloaded software. Then acquire SiriL again, from the beginning. You already have the allegedly correct fonts to start with.
Richard

I uninstalled and reinstalled, and it’s still not showing the font properly. Is there a reason the maker couldn’t have used standard fonts?

I would say that generally this is Apple that don’t use standards ^^.