Story time with @afre: unlike they used to

They don’t make them like they used to pretty much applies to everything. Here is a story that illustrates this idiom. It will be about cameras soon so bear with me.

Due to my chronic back pains, it is hard to be motivated to do chores. So today I decided to buy a new but inexpensive vacuum, one that is light and handy enough for me to clean the floors and carpet more regularly.

I went to the vacuums section, which oddly was split between two non-adjacent aisles. Of course, we have the snobby Dysons right next to the sad brands. I fiddled with each as much as I could, some being locked in place, taking them apart if I could. All including the Dysons felt pretty fragile and suspect to creating a mess of themselves. Their buttons, dials, knobs, switches and connectors felt like I could break them with my weak fingers, giving an overall impression that I was not handling the real deal but a toy.

I found what I was looking for and made an order (it was in stock but couldn’t be found). As I had extra time, I wandered the store and eventually arrived at the camera section.

Exact same experience there. I did this and that. Again and again: that’s flimsy, you call that a button?! Bah humbug! Mind you, there weren’t too many of the really expensive variety; but still, every time I visit this big box consumer electronics store, I leave feeling empty and glad that I don’t have the upgrade bug nor the money to indulge. My last moment at the cameras section was opening a battery hatch and having it fly out of my hands and onto the ground. Slightly embarrassed, I quickly reattached it and left without looking back.

Bonus content: extra ranting.
While I was proofreading this post, it occurred to me that I could be a tech journalist being as it is less click-bait-y and higher quality than many of the articles you see on prominent sites.

My Shark vacuum is all plastic, but still feels pretty well made and, for carpet, is amazing. :wink:

+1 on the Sharks; we have two.

To continue the theme, I just bought a truck, a 2015 Toyota Tacoma. Same sort of thing as @afre’s rant, it feels solid, stiff, and substantial. Same with the Leer top. Also, it’s the 2nd generation; the 3rd generation introduced all sorts of electronic badness, failures-in-waiting…

A picture, since this is a photo website, after all:

@paperdigits @ggbutcher Thanks for the tip. No Shark demos unfortunately. I settled for a Hoover. Will reconsider if it ends up disappointing.

@ggbutcher Near black and white (truck) on white (fence) has an interesting aesthetic. Could fit right in my [pxChallenge] Creatures of Color thread. Are hood scoops like that efficient or more of a stylistic choice?

As for vehicles, don’t get me started on the old minivan. Throughout its lifespan it had issues upon issues. It is almost a new vehicle given the parts we replaced! It might last two more years because the faulty engine, gearbox and / or sensor computer aren’t replaceable, at least not worth the cost to meet environmental standards.

I set out to get a Tacoma double-cab long-bed w/cap and roof rack, in gray. My commute takes me past a BMW dealership, and one day they put out a Tacoma double-cab, long-bed w/cap and roof rack, in WHITE… geesh.

Anyhoo, it’s now mine; function usurped color. This is actually a photography accessory; it’s intended use is to chase trains and take their pictures…

I actually considered making such a remark in jest. What a coincidence.

Oh, and if I put it in the picture, I have a reference patch for white balance! :smile:

For some reason, I am thinking of Mad Max and its multi-vehicle battles. Post-apocalyptic photography. With all that grit, no wonder there is a heavy color cast! :rofl:

Would this be a better train chasing accessory?

:grin:

1 Like

Not if you would like to photograph the front of the locomotive :joy:.

I was thinking it might work if my wife pumped the handles and I sat on the edge with my camera, yelling, “Go Faster!!!”

Sorry, forgot about that question until just now… I would say ‘more efficient’ as gasoline engines require lots of oxygen to do their thing, and this engine is a bit big. Also, we live at 6200 feet, where oxygen is in relatively short supply.