Style transfer soon in G'MIC

This filter looks very interesting, when will it be available?

When it’s ready, basically :slight_smile:
I’m making some progress day after day, but so much other things to do in parallel…
I really hope to have a first version ready for testing before Christmas.

The hatch result looks pretty awesome, David. Very much looking forward to this preset. :slight_smile:

There’s another idea I had in mind.

• The option to preserve colors on the target image. I realized this as I was testing deepart on a hex-tile image I generated from a program that comes bundled with Incendia NEXT -

Here’s the target image (Yes, it’s tileable) -

Blue%20Wave

And maybe it should take into account of symmetry and the tile-ability of the image as a option. Would make for some real cool art.

Also, here’s the deepart result

Not tile-able.

With G’MIC color Transfer and a little bit of LAB editing, and fixing image a bit. It’s a bit more tileable

1 Like

Projected schedule for next week:

• Monday (tomorrow): Release of a new stable version G’MIC 2.4.2
  • Thursday, or Friday: Having a first version of our Style Transfer filter available for testing, directly in the plug-in for GIMP and Krita.

A lot of tests still have to be done, but the algorithm has been improved drastically since the first draft (done last sunday), and I think it is quite usable.

6 Likes

It might be interesting to see “The Scream” converted, using a photo-realistic style such as the pic of good old Morgin.
https://discuss.pixls.us/t/playraw-2-morgin/1173

I’ve read through the thread but all I can think of is that I want to see those bottles in the first post style transferred with a Giorgio Morandi painting of bottles!

In case you want to be a beta-tester of the initial version of the Style Transfer filter, I’ve already put it in the plug-in for GIMP and Krita (available in entry Testing / Ronounours / Stylize). (@lylejk ?)

This is a beta version, so don’t expect too much from it (except heating your CPUs a lot :sweat_smile:).
Several things to know before testing:

• You’ll need latest G’MIC version 2.4.2, and to press the filter update button before the filter appears.
  • The algorithm is computationally intensive, you shouldn’t even give a try if you don’t have at least 2-4 CPU cores (or use very small images).
  • Tweaking the parameters change the result a lot. It’s a bit hard to figure out what to change to obtain the desired result, at a first glance. I’ve tried to set reasonable default parameters, but this doesn’t work well with all the pre-defined styles.
  • There are some pre-defined styles, but you can also use your own style image. Here again, better results will be achieved if the style and target images are not too much differents. Trial and errors are necessary to get the best out of it.

And of course, please, please share all the cool results you get with this filter !
I’ve put a lot of energy in this, and having the impression the filter may be able to render cool stuffs will make my life a bit less tough :slight_smile:
Last thing : don’t expect wonderful results out-of-the-box. The filter often renders crappy results !

Now, it’s your turn :hot_face:

2 Likes

my paint

result

Result quite fast <3
Serious excellent can differentiate areas with masks

I got this while running it on Krita. :confused:

remove alpha channel

Doesn’t work at all. So, I’m not seeing what’s wrong with it. But, this might be the source of G’MIC problems found within Krita.

In gimp show this error when having lower size layers of document or channel alpha

I’m not using GIMP here and there is no way to get rid of alpha in the sense that G’MIC “thinks” there is no alpha within Krita just because of how the program works. You could try to disable alpha on layer property, but it’s not make it ready for the filter.

I just made a quick test, with default settings, interesting results, I like it a lot:

transfered to:

gives:

3 Likes

Original:

Color + 2D ilumination

Stylize:

1 Like

I’ll fix that issue ASAP.

Thanks for the preview, David. I took a crop of my avatar (old avatar) since full version didn’t finish after 25 minutes and I ran out of patience. lolol

Even this result took around 4. Still, I see promise. Style transfer is very taxing on my old PC though (so is the gaotd program I downloaded and if you use to big a target, it will crash the OS; did so 3 or 4 times when I was toying with that program; lol). Anyway, just wish there was some way to coax G’MIC to use GPUs.

For the curious, found a hatch image as a source for this result. What would be cool is for the reference art source to be allowed to be smaller than the image target. Maybe a future update will allow this. Then you can use a smaller crop of the artsource to avoid weird results (like eyes in the sky) and possibly aslo speed rendering time. I did chose 32px instead of the default 8 thinking this would also help speed up rendering time. :slight_smile:

my_avatar

I’ve added some new options, and fixed some bug in the Stylize filter today.
Refresh your filters to test it. Feedback appreciated :slight_smile:

It worked on Krita. So far, only tested on the tileable image I had. It looks like this.

Seem to work, and only needs a few edit on the edit while on wraparound mode. That’s using Starry Night as the main style. Hmm, this could be used to help on recovering details on small images after you enlarge it, but that would take a while.