Sunset to play with

Hi,

last week I made a lot of sunset pictures and now I’m playing with them. I find quite interesting how different sunset colors are comparing the OOC JPEG with the developed RAW in darktable (Yellow/orange vs kakhi/salmon). This issue was already mentioned here: Problem with sunset colours

As I mentioned in another thread, the colors I get using darktable are in my opinion closer to reality than the OOC JPEG colors.

What do you like more independent of how were the real colors?

This is the OOC JPEG:

This is my version:

And this is the same version but using color calibration to try to get similar colors as OOC JPEG:

DSC09733.JPG.xmp (2.8 KB)

What would be your preferred way to develop this sunset? :slight_smile:

Edit: as usual, I forgot to upload the RAW file: DSC09733.ARW (23.9 MB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

1 Like

After checking my edits again, I do not see much color difference between OOC JPEG and dt. The difference is more notable in this image: Problem with halos

Not seeing the raw file…

sorry, now it is there.

1 Like

Nice image; I like the textures in the clouds. Exposed like the one I posted in the highlight reconstruction thread, but I decided to not give it the two-curve log treatment. In rawproc, filmic blew the sun out of the water, so to speak, so I went to the doublelogistic curve, which has a steeper slope to saturation:

I used just a touch of HSL saturation, and I cropped a bit to give the sun more image area.

Edit: Remembered after-the-fact I had a gamut-compressed LUT profile for your camera, so I re-processed with it, and deleted the saturation tool. Image posted above is updated…

2 Likes

DSC09733.pfi (68.7 KB)

1 Like

DT 3.8.0

DSC09733.ARW.xmp (8.1 KB)

1 Like

DSC09733.ARW.xmp (9.9 KB)

My play in GIMP.

Thanks for posting
darktable 4.0

DSC09733_01.ARW.xmp (13.9 KB)