Sunset to play with

After checking my edits again, I do not see much color difference between OOC JPEG and dt. The difference is more notable in this image: Problem with halos

Not seeing the raw file…

sorry, now it is there.

1 Like

Nice image; I like the textures in the clouds. Exposed like the one I posted in the highlight reconstruction thread, but I decided to not give it the two-curve log treatment. In rawproc, filmic blew the sun out of the water, so to speak, so I went to the doublelogistic curve, which has a steeper slope to saturation:

I used just a touch of HSL saturation, and I cropped a bit to give the sun more image area.

Edit: Remembered after-the-fact I had a gamut-compressed LUT profile for your camera, so I re-processed with it, and deleted the saturation tool. Image posted above is updated…

2 Likes

DSC09733.pfi (68.7 KB)

1 Like

DT 3.8.0

DSC09733.ARW.xmp (8.1 KB)

1 Like

DSC09733.ARW.xmp (9.9 KB)

My play in GIMP.

Thanks for posting
darktable 4.0

DSC09733_01.ARW.xmp (13.9 KB)

DT 4.2

DSC09733.ARW.xmp (23,7 KB)

dt 4.2

DSC09733.ARW.xmp (25,6 KB)

I wanted to keep the highlights from being blown even more, and also to lift the sand to give it a little more prominence, all the while preserving the color of the clouds and also the mood of the photo. I feel I lost some cloud texture, particularly when I took out some of the noise my fiddling introduced. I wanted to get the sand colour a bit more sandy.
DSC09733.ARW.xmp (10.7 KB)
Not an entirely successful attempt.

Do you think this improves my previous try ?

DSC09733_01.ARW.xmp (36,5 KB)

Hi Matteo,

my views are subjective of course, but I think that you’ve lifted the sand - it now has more colour than before and looks a lot better than in my attempt, and the sun-in-the-clouds looks better to my eye, though the drama has been lessened a little. The clouds along the top of the image look to have retained their brooding aspect.

As to whether your second attempt is “better”, I think that’s a judgement for you to make alone. That said I prefer #2.

Thank you for your comment Michael, I also prefer #2: I’m glad I’ve been able to take on board your intentions and make them mine.
Regarding the drama you have a point. I tried to emphasize the sky but then settled for a natural look and feel: it was to easy to go overboard.

Hi Matteo,

thanks for the kind words. I’m glad I was able to help. I’m no DT expert, but if you ever think I can help, always feel free to ask.

I was thinking well benefit if a parametric mask was used. If you’re a bit unsure about masks in DT, Bruce Williams (also an Australian) has a YT channel and he has done (from memory) at least 4 clips on masks in DT.

I don’t think I got the most out of the image with the gradients I applied - one for the sand and one for the sky. I think the sky is the leading element in the scene, and it needs the sun’s reflection on the water too.

I started from scratch and tried to blend the traits of our visions.
I don’t think I can do better than this one (which I really like):

DSC09733_03.ARW.xmp (12,2 KB)

I follow Bruce and Boris on Youtube, they are good with masks (and more).
Thank you for your precious feedback @MetalMick99 !

4 Likes

Hi Matteo,

I like this one too! Well done!

The sand is good - looking like sand on a heavily overcast day - and the skies quite threatening, and there’s lots of detail in them.

Cheers,

Michael P.

1 Like

Sunset to play with_DSC09733.ARW.xmp (14.4 KB)

1 Like

DSC09733.jpg.arp (10.8 KB)

1 Like