Support for Nikon Z9?

I have a Nikon Z9 on order. What’s the state of support (if any) for this camera in darktable master? If none, can I help if I am able to find some raw files which I can get permission to contribute?

Hello! Regarding submitting raw samples, please read the following:

raw.pixls.us currently does not have anything for the Z9.

It’s easy to add it yourself if you want:
https://discuss.pixls.us/t/if-you-want-to-play-with-z-9-images-in-darktable

Officially it seems there is already open issue:

I am confused by that entry for 14-bit uncompressed. The Z9 does not have any uncompressed raw formats.

The uncompressed entry is there by default for Nikons AFAIR… Indeed, not applicable in the Z 9 case and can be ignored.

Ina any case, the samples are already present on RPU and preliminary patch for rawspeed available for testers.

Hi,

I will get a Z9 for a few days in summer or early autumn. So far I am VERY happy with my DSLR kit and I also lack the will to spend around 20k in order to buy a mirrorless system that is up to what I have in DSLR now.

Nevertheless I will be handed a Z9 and … shall I shoot JPG or did you already get some samples to work on the Z9 RAWs? Worst case I could supply files once I hold the camera in my hands, but … that’s probably another three to four months from here.

1 Like

Just make sure you shoot the traditional lossless and not the new HE modes. If not merged in for the next version, support can be added by simply editing a text file.

I have launched a request in the German Nikon Forum for lossless Nikon Z9 NEF files - as soon as I get a selection, I will make them available to … whom?

If you’ve paid attention to earlier posts, we already have all the Z 9 samples on RPU (you can use the search box to filter), there is nothing else needed, apart from help w/ reverse engineering the HE compression of course :wink:

1 Like

Sorry, my bad - I read yesterday’s reply and understood that you encouraged me to shoot samples in NEF lossless - and not the new HE mode.

A user of the Nikon Forum has already announced that he will wetransfer me five shots ;o) No harm done

Sorry if I wasn’t clear - the advice was for your future benefit if you ever wanted to process those raws since you’ll be lucky enough to get this camera :wink:

FYI - exiv2 0.27.6 with Z 9 lens detection support has been tagged and released (and is on the way to various repositories, including MSYS2).

2 Likes