Support for Pentax pixel shift files #3489

pixelshift is now in dev branch.

This also includes the possibility to access the three sub-images of Pentax-3-in-1 HDR files and both sub-images of Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Dual Pixel raw files.

Thank you heckflosse. I am looking forward to watching the ongoing Pixel Shift final version.

PS: with PS version just on Pentax K-1 tilt screen, I already can notice the difference between PS and w/o… resolution and dynamic!

The final version will take a while because we will try improvements for high ISO pixelshift files especially in automatic mode. Also the current version is not tested for the new Pentax KP because we don’t have example files.

Please, take your time, the time you need to please us…:yum:

Hi Teiki,

If you want to try Partha’s version, run the following commands from terminal.app (assuming you’ve copied Partha’s version into /Applications):
First command:
sudo mkdir -p /Users/partha/projects/src/graphics/RT/build/psgtk3/Release/
Second command (it’s a single line with spaces between each string, so just copy and paste the whole thing):
sudo ln -s /Applications/RawTherapee-psgtk3.app/Contents/Resources /Users/partha/projects/src/graphics/RT/build/psgtk3/Release/Resources

Once a version becomes available through the normal release process, do the following to clean up:
sudo rm -r /Users/partha

Regards,
Allan

@teiki,

You didn’t send me the report I asked for, did you?

Please download again and let me know if your problem goes away. Here is the URL again: https://www.partha.com/downloads/RawTherapee-psgtk3.app.zip

@allanp, I think you won’t need to do that with the version above. As you guessed, the issue arises due to the location of file camconst.json. I’ll fix it once and for all in the next iteration if the above works.

@ion12, The changes we are thinking of in the cmake files may have to be revisited.

Thanks,
Partha

Short notice for builders: If you want to make a pixelshift build from dev branch, currently you have to
git checkout ace00a8
before you build because I broke build of current dev HEAD intentionally (it has a critical bug caused by another merge which we don’t want to go live through nightly builds) :unamused:

I will report when the issue with current dev HEAD is solved

The bug was fixed by @Hombre
Builds from dev HEAD are possible again now

Hi Partha,

Your updated version does indeed resolve the hardcoded path dependency for the camconst.json file, and pixel shift is working.

The log file seems to be spitting out a few errors. I’ll email it to you.

Thanks,
Allan

@partha,
I have tried your new version and it works perfectly! Very quick process on my second hand MacPro 2009 I so easily switched to ersatz of SSD PCI MacPro 2010 W3680 48Gb RAM (3x16Gb) MacOs Sierra 10.12.3 and no bug for the moment. But I actually do not know how to get the log file. Let me know, in such way I can send everything you need.
Besides, I do not fully understand what to use about “sub-images” especially… Any link to avoid me looking for a long time?

@allanp,
I didn’t try your terminal commands as partha put a new version… Nevrtheless, thank you very much for your help!

@heckflosse
Thank you very much again. Thanks to you, I can use Pixel Shift now. My update DCUP5 is not stable and awful to work with.

Here’s an example of a picture taken with a Pentax K-1 and Leitaxed Leica Apo-Extender-1.4x & Apo-Telyt-R modular 280/2.8 W.O. to make an Apo 400/4. On a tripod at 1/50s & Iso250.
Crop is exactly the same but picture shift reflects the Pixel shift process.

Crop100% without Pixel Shift

Crop100% with Pixel Shift

1 Like

@heckflosse and @Hombre

Does this mean I should resume pulling from psgtk3 branch?

Thanks,
Partha

Yes, as pixelshift now is in dev, you don’t need to make psgtk3 builds.
psgtk3 branch will stay alive for further pixelshift development but I will merge more often to dev from now on.

I’ve done pixel shift whiteframes without nr for the Pentax K3-II. Files can be downloaded here:
https://filebin.net/f6f58gk5y576mduk

That file compresses quite well to say the least… is there any information in there?!

I don’t quite understand the need for the second series, as per (Adding Support for New Raw Formats - RawPedia) is it in case the camera does denoising in the raw file? As far as I understand you only request dngs?

edit: Added nr pixel shift files as well. Looks like something went wrong though. Was shooting the sun and there’s a black dot in the center of the frame. Why the sun would be black and the sky white when overexposed is a bit of a mystery to me. Perhaps it’s expected.

I choose medium nr as the camera has three settings plus an additional nr for long exposures which I also turned on.

Noticed the info about compression at the end of the rawpedia tutorial.

Yes, when the camera performs noise reduction in the raw files that affects the white (and sometimes black?) levels.

The off/low/medium/high noise reduction settings are probably only for the JPEG files. It’s only the long exposure noise reduction which affects raw files.

I hope you didn’t sizzle the photosites!

My first thought! Preliminary tests suggests no permanent issues. Shooting 28x4x2 (4 due to pixel shift) images straight into the sun in a very short timespan could be quite exhausting to the gear I imagine… but everything looks good.

Reading comprehension failure as my nr files were shot using below 2s shutterspeed. With the clarifications above I realised that youre after long shutterspeeds which rereading the rawpedia text confirmed.

New nr files can be downloaded from same filebin only did files at 1stop iso intervals if needed I can do intermediates later.

https://filebin.net/f6f58gk5y576mduk

@teiki & @allanp,

I have uploaded a new version and your issues should be resolved in this version.

Please test and let me know otherwise. The link is the same: https://www.partha.com/downloads/RawTherapee-psgtk3.app.zip

@heckflosse & @Hombre I am still pulling from psgtk3 branch for this build. Hope that’s OK and I’m not missing any functionality this way.

Thanks,
Partha

@partha

pixelshift is now in dev branch. Means you don’t need to make psgtk3 builds anymore :slight_smile:

@heckflosse, cool! Then I am done? :slight_smile:

Yeah :slight_smile:

Edit: And thanks for making the psgtk3 builds :slight_smile: