Tethering Fujifilm X-T5

Hi,

I’ve noticed that Fujifilm X-T5 is not supported as far as tethering option is concerned. Could you please tell me how long could it take for developer of DT to add such support? (Forgive me my stupid question, I am trying to migrate from Lightroom and am still at a very initial stage here).

Best,
Marcin

1 Like

Darktable tethering uses the gphoto2 library and camera support should be addressed to that project.

Looks like support has been added recently: Add support for Fujifilm X-T5 by killpond · Pull Request #922 · gphoto/libgphoto2 · GitHub

1 Like

Also note that darktable is not a Lightroom clone, you’ll have to learn a lot. It is primarily about detailed control and freedom in your tool selections, not about convenience. Once you get the hang of it, you’ll be able to normal processing quickly, and have lots of tools for challenging cases, but you may also find that another tool suits you better. I’m not trying to discourage you, just wanted to make sure you know what to expect. The community is here to help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Could you please elaborate a bit on the sentence that darktable is not a Lightroom clone? I can see it everywhere that developers are very eager to emphasize that “darktable is not a Lightroom” but to me (a person completely new to darktable) it looks and feels like Lightroom, it also serves the very same goal. I am just curious (there is no hidden agenda here) what it is that IS TO MAKE darktable so much different and WHY? Will be very grateful for some additional info :smiley:

Thank you!

There is a huge number of modules, many rather complex. You’ll actually find colour spaces you have probably not run into previously (besides the different RGB spaces and LAB, you’ll see things like JzAzBz (JzAzBz) or darktable UCS (Color saturation control for the 21th century - Aurélien PIERRE Engineering).
You are likely to use one of the scene-referred workflows (darktable 4.4 user manual - darktable's color pipeline).
You’ll find white balance has been split into two (white balance and color calibration), and you can control colours in many other modules (color balance rgb, color zones, color contrast, color look up table and lut 3D (the two are distinct!), and so on). Sharpening and contrast also have many modules, exposure / brightness also appears in multiple places, there are several for noise reduction and blurring, too, and the same is true for chromatic aberrations.

I don’t mean to scare you off: you don’t need to learn it all at once, and you certainly don’t need all of them all the time (in fact, most settle into a process using a handful of modules for most images).

There is no need to copy Lightroom. If you like it, pay the subscription and use it.

darktable is a raw image development program. It uses different ways and modules to develop the images. It is based on contributions from multiple developers on how they would like to manipulate the raw files. In some areas it might look similar to other software, but it is mostly because it is an efficient interface to interact.

1 Like

Welcome! What OS are you on? If Windows or macOS, you could try the nightly builds (or Bill’s current Windows weekly builds, or Martin’s current macOS ones) that contain libgphoto2 2.5.31.

P.S. This is for testing only, the 4.6 release that is expected to include this version of libgphoto2 will come in December (for Linux it’ll depend on your distro naturally).

Generally, Lightroom is trying to generate as broad a customer base as possible (more customers == more money) so it prioritises ease of use and “magic” things that wow the user. For example, it might only expose a single slider, even if the underlying algorithms are quite complex and multi-variant. However (and I’m taking this impression from others as I’ve never used it), in making things easy it also makes things less flexible and those simpler algorithms more easily produce artifacts that can’t be mitigated (since they’re designed in a more general way – to work for as many images as possible while retaining simplicity).

In contrast darktable exposes as much control as it can to the user so that they can better handle those edge-cases. This makes it much more flexible but also much more complicated-looking to the uninitiated (many of the modules contain tens of sliders whose purpose is not entirely clear at-a-glance). People coming from Lightroom often seem to miss the simplicity and expect a similar user experience from darktable, which requires more learning but ultimately gives you much more control.

That may be an exaggeration :slight_smile:
diffuse or sharpen has 15, color calibration 28, color balance rgb a staggering 33, if I counted correctly, but those are the ‘worst offenders’, I think (and @Kensei, you really don’t need to use them all, they have presets that cover most use cases - I usually use 4 or 5 for saturation control in color balance rgb, for example, if I bother to change the standard preset values at all).

I should have said “some”

1 Like

Thank you all very much for all the clarifications :smiley:

You haven’t discouraged me… so far :smiley: I will try to learn more (am studying that 300+ pages manual as of now).

Put simply, the scope of darktable goes well beyond merely replicating the tools you’ll find in Lightroom (in fact the most familiar modules in darktable are best ignored). So while you might find it lacking by comparison in some departments, I promise you you’ll find it vastly superior in others. The mere fact you can rearrange and duplicate modules for example is an absolute game changer, and being given enough rope to hang yourself with like that is a common theme in the software!

Whether the good outweighs the bad will depend on your own requirements however. My only advice is to persist. I struggled in the early weeks of my transition away from Lightroom, mostly because I was trying to adapt darktable to my workflow rather than adapt my workflow to darktable (as flexible as darktable can be, that’s a bit akin to trying to keep a sheep dog in a studio apartment). Now that I have adapted my workflow I wouldn’t go back to Lightroom even if Adobe offered to pay me. The results I get now are simply better.

I am very impressed with Darkroom the more I am getting to know it but I am surprised there is no way to financially support developers (at least I couldn’t find the way). I pay a lot of money for Adobe photo stack, assume I want to switch fully to Darktable and love it so much I would like to support the devs so the software is getting even better - I could not find any way to do it on the webpage. Is there any reason for not providing such an option here?

Darktable developers work on darktable because they want to make it better. Most of them have jobs as well and money wouldn’t make them work harder.

This is a good thing, because paid developers are pretty expensive.

1 Like

Currently, the best way to support darktable is being active in the community, helping others, reporting issues and testing fixes / upcoming new features.
You can donate to pixls.us; the money will be used to pay for the servers, contribute to the developers’ travel costs when they attend free software conferences, and so on. You can find more info here: PIXLS.US - Support

There is one former darktable developer, Aurélien Pierre, who takes donations. However, he left the project after a nasty fight to work on his own fork (version) of darktable called Ansel, based on version 4.0. While his tutorials on the modules he had developed (filmic (rgb), diffuse or sharpen, color balance (rgb), color calibration, tone equalizer, the guided laplacian highlight recovery method – I hope I did not miss any) are still useful today, any donations you send him are for his own benefit, and won’t support darktable development.

4 Likes