The 180-Euro-photo-series

Yesterday I made a hike around Pretrobruck in the Waldviertel in Lower Austria. I wanted to photograph two waterfalls, the Höllfall and the Lohnbachfall. There is not much water in the creeks though because of the dry weather. And on the way back home I left the bus at the wrong bus stop and missed my connection (because the two bus stops look exactly the same and they are in the same town, among other things). Since that was the last bus this week I had to pay 120 Euro for a taxi that brought me to Krems where I took the last train to Vienna. Well, I must admit that I was still lucky, because when I called the taxi my phone had 4% battery power. I used a navigation app for the first time and it needed a lot of battery power.
But I think taking photos still works best when I am alone, apparently I am more focused and more creative. So despite the expensive taxi ride and the lack of water I think I managed to shoot a few nice landscapes.
So for me the day was worth the money. I will share the photos each as an own post here as I am curious which gets more likes.

7 Likes

Lohnbachfall.
I took this photo without a tripid. My camera is well stabilized and I used an ND4 filter.
Edited with RawTherapee, but there almost no editing at all.

4 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

This one was a bit more difficult to edit, I used darktable.

11 Likes

17 Likes

This macro was taken with the M.Zuiko 9-18mm ultrawide lens.

7 Likes

Also darktable. There was quite a bit of noise in the shadows and RT apparently still has that bug…

5 Likes

Alive to tell the tale. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Some nice pictures, but I would reframe this one in portrait mode to get rid of the tree, the stairs and the people:

5 Likes

Do you think it’s bold for a woman to travel and hike around alone?

It depends on how familiar you are with the area, I guess.

As someone who has a bad sense of time and direction, it is bold to travel alone period. It helps that I have had some survival training. Bring first aid and survival kits, water for hydration and an extra battery for your cell phone. The main thing to remember is to let a few friends know where you are going so that they may check on you if you don’t report back (due to being lost or injured).

3 Likes

I gave the like to the one I like best, which is the first. The clouds in the second are nice, and the butterfly image is great from the perspective etc., unfortunately the animal is green. Another colour would have made this really outstanding. Or is this a leaf? :wink: However, I struggle a bit with the aspect ratio of most of the pictures. I guess 4:3 is olympus default, which is often more suitable for pictures of people than 3:2, but for most landscape pictures I clearly prefer 3:2 or even wider, if they are landscape oriented. Try e.g. P5221528_01 with a 2:1 crop or even wider, getting rid of the sky/clouds which to me looks a bit overprocessed anyway. For me this would work much better, it would give it a cinematic touch. Same e.g. with the last one.

1 Like

3 Likes

4 Likes

Landscape painters such as Ruisdael or Monet used 4:3 or even higher. My landscapes are supposed to remind of paintings.

Aspect ratio doesn’t matter much to me personally. What is more important is how a subject is composed within the frame. Master painters typically composed their landscapes around a “hero tree” - a particular tree that was prominent in the image. The top of the frame was typically not much higher than the top of the hero tree. Ruisdael, Both, Lorrain, Corot, I think Monet too, they all did it. Your photos show beautiful scenery, but don’t have the hero tree that remind me of their work. An example crop on one of your images might be more like this:

2 Likes

@betazoid One thing I noticed, and @Soupy’s photo confirmed, it is that your frame is always facing upward. Or you are standing in a depression. Gets the clouds all right but kind of feels awkward sometimes. Even your macro looks like it is slightly on the underside. That said, when is your next trip?

1 Like

That’s good information to have up front.

There are some very interesting clouds in some of the shots, and I imagine that the camera angle is a result of trying to maximize how much of the sky could be captured in the images.

1 Like

It is in the cloudless photos too. In any case, the series is bright and beautiful.

1 Like