"The GIMP" has been forked by folks who find the name offensive

Glimpse will be a voyeuristic fest.

I fear there will be very little to see with GlitchGlimpseā€¦

It happenes very often that a term is used with different contexts. Letā€™s take the word ā€˜pigā€™ for example. Itā€™s not only an animal, itā€™s also an insult.
Now what should a pig farmer do, close his business? Find another name for his animals instead of ā€˜pigā€™? I donā€™t think so.

In my opinion the people who use words as insults should be blamed and they are the ones who should change.

3 Likes

In the film, the gimp is the dude in the leather bondage outfit.

2 Likes

Good synopsis. Skip reading the comments thoughā€¦thereā€™s a massive amount of ignorance in there.

According to this page, the fork ditches the Gimp name and aims to make some UI changes. If it was just the name change, then their first and possibly only development idea should have been a script to go through the source and rename all instances of Gimp to Glimpse in file names and file contents and run builds. Iā€™ll be moderately interested to see their UI changes.

When I first saw the Gimp name, particularly when stated as ā€œthe Gimpā€, my initial reaction was ā€œThatā€™s a little bit unprofessionalā€ (my knowledge of the word gimp was as a deragatory reference to someone with a disability). But I didnā€™t get bent out of shape about it, because Linux is so full of package names that are someoneā€™s idea of funny or whimsical. Iā€™m breathlessly waiting for yet another package with a name starting with ā€œyaā€.

Bottom line: let them exercise their FOSS freedom for better or for worse. In the long run, the name thing will become a foggy memory and their package will be judged on its functionality and usability.

4 Likes

pee

Edit: this was not meant offensive at all, just a thought :wink:

On Reddit I see far more people finding the Rawtherapee name (ā€œraw-the-rapeeā€) unpalatable than the GIMP name. In fact I donā€™t recall anyone ever complaining about GIMPā€™s name, just the UIā€¦

Yeah, thatā€™s what my pee comment was about :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Including the one who has taken the development world by storm, Git itself.

Do people with herpetophobia want to rename Python?

2 Likes

omg omg omg anything to do with snakes can have sexual connotations! rename! rename!

1 Like

So I read to the bottom of this thread, and this is what I saw next:

:joy::joy::joy:

9 Likes

Boy is this topic growing! I guess names do matter one way or another.

Fun Thoughts
1 Glimpse is such a weak name. Phonically, (The) GIMP sounds better.
2 And here I thought The was the most contentious part of The GIMP.
3 For GIMP to have such a ā€œhorribleā€ name but still do wonderful manipulation is uplifting.

Last but not least for @heckflosse and all of the other hecklers
4 pee is the fork of pissant, by which I mean the ant and not the derogatory senses.

Nice one.
The answer is direct included :slight_smile:

Oh dear, oh dearā€¦
Does this mean that I cannot look forward
to any nightly releases any more?

1 Like

A short update, on this matter, by Alexandre Prokoudine, a member of the GIMP team (and if you are interested in his personal last blog [1]):

• At first, I considered posting in detail about Glimpse but then thought better of it. Here is what I can say on the matter, and since Iā€™m a GIMP contributor, please take this with an extra bag of salt.
  • GIMP team has been suggesting to fork it in extreme cases (such as rebranding) for years. It is perfectly fine to do so as per terms of GNU GPL, although, so far, most attempts have been unsuccessful.
  • Contributors to Glimpse have never been GIMP contributors in the first place, they arenā€™t known in the GIMP community, and they donā€™t seem to have any experience programming digital content creation software, so there is no real fragmentation so far.
  • I spent ca. two weeks on Glimpse communication channels to figure out if they are the real deal. There is a clear and rather disturbing difference between how Glimpse contributors/moderators claim they treat the upstream project and what they actually do and say about GIMP. This is the opposite of impressive.
  • The mutual hostility between supporters and haters of Glimpse doesnā€™t bring any value to the overall community. If you are among haters of Glimpse, please consider leaving them alone and letting them give it their best shot. Likewise, you are not getting anywhere by annoying GIMP developers.

[1] http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entry/week-recap-28-august-2019

7 Likes

What you do down steam in the middle of the night is none of my business.

1 Like

I tend to defer to @prokoudine in such matters, as @Silvio_Grosso has summarized already (thank you).

I also found this little bit of irony in their FAQ (highlighed):

2 Likes

The only thing I have to say about this is that it isnā€™t necessary. Iā€™m not a fan of the GIMP name.

The new name is pretty bad, the more I look at it. Judging by the name ā€œglimpse,ā€ what do you think it does? Not image editing!

So try to search for it. Good luck. Finally found something at https://getglimpse.com ā€¦ Yeah thatā€™s not it.

1 Like

I am British English, and I wasnā€™t aware of a derogatory meaning of ā€œgimpā€. In British English an equivalent might be ā€œcripā€, short for ā€œcrippleā€, a derogatory term for someone who doesnā€™t walk easily. Iā€™m in that category but would have no problems with any software call ā€œThe CRIPā€ or whatever.

So I find this ā€œGlimpseā€ project weird.

Iā€™m very pleased that Gimp has finally broken free of the 8-bit limitation. Great stuff, people.

If the Glimpse people can create new goodness, or improve on the old goodness, thatā€™s great. But I wonā€™t change the software I use based on the name.

1 Like