"The GIMP" has been forked by folks who find the name offensive

It’s at the top of @patdavid’s screen shot: https://getglimpse.app/

They actually also admit they are dependent on Gimp and encourage people to donate to Gimp development!

I was more hinting at the fact that they didn’t even come up with their own domain… Or search very hard before finalizing the name.

1 Like

Yeah…the best adjective I can find for this project is “parasitic”.

I don’t think its paracitic. They have every right to fork, even of only to rename. In fact, the gimp team has encouraged a fork for years if the name of gimp was a huge problem.

3 Likes

Fair enough.

2004 for me. At least, that’s when I first started digging around in it. Has it been 15 years already? that’s crazy.

They’ve been saying all sorts of wonderful charitable things for the general public. Then you watch them crap all over GIMP on Matrix (and earlier on IRC). Then you tell them it doesn’t align with their own code of conduct. Then they ban you. Then they ask people to be kind to each other for the general public again.

5 Likes

… now I feel like making that the splash screen in my install :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Good hint with wikipedia. It lists more acronyms for ‘Gimp’

But don’t worry, there are much more ‘problematic’ product names out there

The latest hybrid (or electric Audi) is called E-Tron. In French this reads “Turd”.

Fascinating. We should put that in the splash screen of the official version. Now everybody that states that “Gimp” is offensive will look really dirty-minded.

You would’ve thought they would’ve learned from the Chevy Nova.

Nova = No Va = No Go

(Although Snopes indicates this wasn’t actually as detrimental as you would think it would be.)

1 Like

Penultimate Image Manipulation Program?

6 Likes

@Unhammer Yup, that is the definition that I grew up with. Guess I am dated. :stuck_out_tongue: I have also understood gimp as

Noun
3. The plastic cord used in the plaiting and knotting craft Scoubidou (lanyard making); or, the process itself.
4. (dated, chiefly North Eastern US) Gumption

Verb
2. (dated) To notch or indent; to jag or make jagged; to edge with serrations or grooves.

Source: gimp - Wiktionary, the free dictionary

@pittendrigh Actually, that is the first thing I thought of; however, could be offensive to some, so my second thought was PIMPLE, which could be more offensive if you think about it hard enough.

Pineapple
Manipulation
Program
Libre
Edition

Free pineapples for everyone, everywhere!

2 Likes

I’m learning a lot in this thread. When I was a kid, it refered to the guy in the circus that would bite off the heads of a snakes.

I think that was a “geek.”

so … ORACLE is in the back? … aaah
think there was something in the past … called Open Office
a scoundrel who thinks bad on this

1 Like

Now its even on Heise. (german tech news site)

I really dont get it.
On my system (CentOs) GIMP is only one time to read. And this is on the splash screen, which is easy to customize.
No one who just uses it would see GIMP anywhere there or know of it.
Everywhere else stands Gnu Image Manipulation Program.
So if it would be really the only problem in official institutions (or marketing in general) with the name than the admin just could change the splashscreen and refere to it as Gnu Image Manipulation Program instead of GIMP, which is only the acronym anyway.
And now that I know that someone from Oracle is forking GIMP, i become suspicious of the real motivation for that fork.

it stands for The GNU Image Manipulation Programme (miss off the final me if you’re American). This whole thread is utterly ludicrous, as is the reason for forking.

Developers of Open Source Software often fork, but it’s almost always for a good reason, like trying something new. To fork because of a name, which is in capitals and is therefore probably an acronym, without even asking what it stands for is utterly sublime. Unreal. The new tyne of this fork will, I feel, simply wither away.

1 Like