The Quiraing, Isle of Skye

…and b/w

_DSC1928_01.NEF.xmp (15.3 KB)

1 Like

_DSC1928.NEF.xmp (33.3 KB)

6 Likes

Really interesting, that a lot of edits cloned the people out.
In my opinion, the people in the image made it more alive, more interesting to look at the details, to pan around through this image

4 Likes

_DSC1928.NEF.xmp (10.7 KB)

A very nice shot, thanks for sharing!

_DSC1928.NEF.xmp (18.4 KB)
dt 3.3.0
Inspired by all the cloning I rearanged some of the persons by playing around with the spot removal module…
Just for curiosity, would it somehow be possible to change the size of a moved person in darktable?

The ground and atmos look drier in that picture, making it naturally less saturated. It’s one of my pet peeves that a lot of modern images push saturation too much and make dry conditions look wet - but in this picture it seems motivated - the ground looks damp and soft, the conditions are misty.

Here’s my take. Another B&W, perhaps a little too contrasty, but hey, that’s my style.

DT 3.2.1.

_DSC1928_01.NEF.xmp (8.9 KB)

2 Likes

Been admiring this image intermittently, just found the time to try it:

This is a very well-exposed image, ETTR right up to the edge. This processing is, None! I brought it to linear RGB, and this is it. No filmic, no saturation. I did use the D700 SSF profile I made from the camspec data, and lmmse demosaic, nothing else of note.

2 Likes

Here’s another take, color this time. I processed the image and tried out a number of LUTs. I kinda like this one, supposedly it imparts a bit of a Kodak Ektachrome look.

DT 3.2.1 & Lutify.Me’s Hersei LUT

_DSC1928_01.NEF.xmp (13.5 KB) )

Well, many of these look about the same to me, and here is another one. :grin:

_DSC1928.NEF.xmp (5.8 KB)

perhaps my favourite feature on the camera is its ever-reliable matrix metering. My new X-T3 is a joy to shoot, but I have had to relearn my exposure compensation settings to get the best out of it.

yours is perhaps the most accurate rendering of the mist and sky from memory. It was several years ago now though so whatever thats worth haha.

I’ll just mention that I’ve been following you colour calibration threads with great interest too. One day I’d like to do that for my X-T3.

2 Likes

I went a-looking through my data collection to see if anyone had characterized the X-T3, hadn’t noticed 'till now that Fuji cameras are severely under-represented in the collection, only a Fuji S5 Pro in the Christian Mauer collection.

That’s the rub in SSF data; putting cameras in the same place as measurement devices.

Regarding my “accurate” rendering, of late I’ve been doing PlayRaws just to see that initial linear rendering, before any tone curve or other manipulations. Your image struck me as it looked good right then, in the original scene-linear rendition. I messed with a few iterations of filmic, control-point curve, and even a bit of HSL color saturation, but I kept returning to the linear. A bit of mid-range contrast might be warranted, but I chose to post the linear one to show what just a good camera exposure might do.

1 Like

I would like to point you to another thread where I uploaded my own photograph from a vantage point close to this image’s: “The Quiraing, Skye, Lightroom and darktable”.

@black_daveth, I am wondering why you treated your photo in a way that makes a foggy sky out of what looks partly blue in all the other interpretations. And for some reason when I open the NEF in dt using the xmp provided it does not look like your edit but it does show the clouds.

there’s a few reasons why I whited out the sky, first of all I don’t really like the texture of the clouds, and I don’t want the blue blob encroaching from the top as a compositional element either - it doesn’t help the balance of the image IMO. Eliminating the colour blue is nice too in this case because it leaves a very gentle complimentary colour scheme thats almost even monochromatic.

On top of that from a “story” perspective much of the day was completely overcast, and I spent a lot of time there walking around in the thick mist, which as an Australian was one of the big reasons I packed my camera on a trip to Scotland in the first place! I was lucky really that the clouds parted for a moment because there’s more detail in the landscape here than most of my other shots, but I’m happy to take some liberties recreating some of the feel of the location.

I mentioned in my post that the xmp will be of little value unfortunately because its quite a LUT heavy workflow, and I actually use two. One is very simple that I made in LUTCalc, the other is actually quite involved which I made with 20-odd nodes in DaVinci Resolve. Most of it is my own work, but there’s a couple of nodes that emulate a Kodak 250D negative film stock which I actually paid for… so I could probably turn them off and share whats left but it definitely adds a certain je ne sais quoi that I really enjoy.

EDIT: I’m quite busy the rest of today, but I will defintely try editing your RAW tomorrow.

May I ? 15º vertical perspective correction, keep the people for scale but reduce saturation in the red items, gentle dodging of the path and a white key line against a black border for final printing.

This is my version, went for a fresh green look:

_DSC1928.NEF.xmp (14.1 KB, dt 3.3)

after

_DSC1928.NEF.pp3 (11.6 KB)

15º correction for perspective in RT, the sky is probably too blue on this version, 1/2 stop feathered lightening on path and lower right corner to create more subtle lines into the frame. Larry Bartlett Border is only to demo, really should be a lot thicker.

Here is my take:

_DSC1928.NEF.xmp (22.2 KB)

Has a bit of a fantasy painting vibe. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Did this on uncalibrated work (at home) computer. A low contrast (not really) version to make it more rather than less foggy feeling. Rawtherapee 5.8 windows 10

_DSC1928.NEF.pp3 (12.5 KB)

Agree. They are almost perfectly positioned along the visual route and help emphasize the scale of the mountains.