Thinking about acquiring my first speedlight, would love some pointers

I’d like to augment my photography arsenal with a manual/TTL flash, primarily for indoor as well as the occasional outdoor portrait.

I’ve been looking at the Godox TT685 II N (for my Nikon Z5). It’s right around my price limit, and it features TTL functionality as well as manual mode to start familiarizing myself with flash photography.

Would you recommend that speedlight, or perhaps a similarly priced alternative, or a better deal on comparable quality and functionality?

Hi Ogven,
I’m only an occasional flash photographer, but I quickly found myself frustrated by compromising on my first speedlight purchase. Much happier when I bought my second. In my case - it is a Yongnuo YN986NII. The exact model is probably not important, but having the features you want/need is, IMO. In decreasing order of importance that I rate them, look for these features:

• Given that I mostly shoot with a zoomable lens, the one feature I would not compromise on again is motorized zoom on the flash.
  • S2 mode (Slave 2) allows remote triggering based on detecting another flash: it is useful to maybe mount a speedlight off-camera and use the pop-up camera flash at low-power merely as a trigger.
  • High Speed sync support is nice to have, if your camera supports it.
  • Having a white card that can be pulled out as needed built-in, as opposed to one supplied but so easily lost is nice. The same goes for a diffusing screen - if it can fold away inside the housing, it won’t be lost, if not, well …
  • High guide number allows you to do more with the flash, as you can always dial down the power level.

Looking at the specs of the Godox you nominate, it seems to tick most boxes (High Speed Sync, High Guide number). Specs suggest a zoom head (but my first speedlight had a zoom head that you needed to pull out yourself, not one that automatically zoomed when you changed lens focal length, so I would check that it is indeed a motorized zoom).

4 Likes

Hi! I love a fun off-camera flash personally. I’d agree with most of what @martin.scharnke already mentioned although I was mostly concerned about learning to use the flash w/o worrying about TTL stuff. This is mostly due to shooting portraits or in situations where i know what I’d like to do (no TTL necessary - just usually getting my shutter to as high as I can and worrying more about aperture).

I do think light modifiers might be something worth investigating (again - depending on what you’re shooting). Anything to help shape, soften, or otherwise modify the light helps keep things from getting too harsh. Coupled with a remote trigger and you can do all sorts of fun things (I’ve used inexpensive Cactus triggers without a problem in the past).

I’ve used the Yongnuo 5XX series of flashes and they’ve been solid performers for the price (I want to say around $80-100 USD).

5 Likes

I replaced several old Nikon original speedlites with TT685 – the I, not the II.
Solid piece of gear, although the light was a little uneven.

By now they only serve as backups – I use a AD100 most of the time (off camera).
Even got the HR200 for my AD200 and haven’t used another head on it since.
And from that experience I can only say:

Don’t get the 685. Get the V1.

The round head is soooo much better for everything.

The magnetic accessories are awesome.

And if you start using off camera light – which you should – the quality of the light is amazing.
Even the most basic trigger X1T-N will open up a whole new world.

5 Likes

Here another user with a Yongnuo 5X-series, works very will with my Nikon D7000. On-camera, off-camera, it just does its job.

1 Like

Two questions: Does the V1 have TTL as well as manual mode? And does it possess a built-in retractable bounce card?

The official manual can be found here:

The Godox system allows for Manual and TTL both on and off the camera.

Flashes can be put into groups and power be controlled per group.

As for the V1:
Almost useless built-in bounce card: no.
Useful large bounce card as magnetic accessory¹: yes.

Let me explain: the catchlight in the eyes from the internal cards is most often too small and the conditions to get a good bounce light off a ceiling are super rare (neutral color, reasonable distance, no mechanical obstructions casting shadows). If you are a run and gun journalist - maybe. For everything else there is plenty of time to control your light. Improving the size of the catchlight by putting a larger bounce area onto the flash was always a sign of someone knowing the limits of those internal cards.

Modern cameras and editing from RAW have made formerly required usages of speedlites obsolete. Using additional light is nowadays a choice, not a neccessity.

As a good starting point, go to https://strobist.blogspot.com/
David Hobby has put a lot of general knowledge about lighting into comprehensible bits and pieces and has used pretty much only small speedlites for that.

¹) get the flash with the AK-R1 kit, it’s really worth it

4 Likes

The TT685 II is good value and a fine flash. If that’s all your budget allows, I would say go for it. However, as @grubernd says, the V1 is much better, so do consider that as well.

For remote trigger, get the X2T. The X1T is strictly inferior and the XPro is overkill.

1 Like

Alright, I think I’ll be holding out for a deal on the V1 then. Thank you all!

I am sorry but this statement is so wrong. The use of carefully balanced fill light from a flash is an artform and not a obsolete. Blasting the scene with flash and killing the ambience is bad, but a touch of fill flash is essential for many shots to achieve the best. Direct on camera mounted flash may not be the best and bouncing flash off surfaces or a white card attached to the flash is a good option.

5 Likes

Exactly - it is a form of art, hence style, hence a choice.
But it is not needed anymore.

I have enough images in my archive where I had to blast against the sun to get some visible faces when doing reportage on a bright day. These days I don’t even have a flash on my mandatory packlist anymore. Technology has improved that much.

Sure, I still use artificial light, but almost exclusively off camera – not to counter the natural light but to add a new light to the scene.

1 Like

Although i do not have it - I think the AD 100 is a great choice - if you commit to off-camera only.
I have a very old metz flash with yongnou triggers (super cheap) and it is all falling apart after 10 years of occasional use. So, if robustness is important do not buy the cheapest stuff.
Also, if you only work indoors and do not need super high light power, continuous led lights are also possible and becoming very affordable. Plus, they work well for video too.

1 Like

@Ogven Oldest son and I share two Godox speedlights (a TT350, and a V860II) plus the XPro trigger for our Fujis; we rarely need them at the same time. They work just fine — even if we have to go back to consult the manual in case we want to pick another trigger method, the flash interface is a bit un-intuitive.

The AD series was too expensive in Sweden then.

Light modifiers are great fun and of great use. Nowadays,
you can even get them for LED cubes:

LED cube with snoot, grid, barndoor(!), softener, and a collection of colored filters.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

2 Likes