Thunderstorm over the Monaro

This one might be fun to play with… :smiley:
The wind was an issue - tripod was shaking. But the ‘strobe’ lighting from the thunderstorm, combined with me hanging on to the tripod meant it mostly worked. The only one of around 30 shots that didn’t have something obvious wrong with it… :grin:

DSC_6301.NEF (25.2 MB)

These files are licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

18 Likes

Thanks, for sharing.

DT4.0.0

DSC_6301.NEF.xmp (8.2 KB)

3 Likes

Thats a great pic to play with, thank you! I was struggling with the reds in the foreground, so i tried to emphasize the lightning by applying a crop.

DSC_6301.NEF.jpg.out.pp3 (17,0 KB)
RT 5.9 dev

greetings
Martin

7 Likes

Thanks! I like the way you’ve emphasised the lightning, both tonally and with the crop.
The reds in the foreground were caused by my car’s tail lights - I didn’t want to turn them off as I was parked pretty close to the road.
Of course I could have moved further away… :grin:

g’day, @123sg,

Thanks for the play.
Here is one intrepretation while trying to learn vkdt:

DSC_6301.NEF.cfg (2.4 KB)

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

9 Likes

First I tried a more blueish white balance, but I didn’t like it. Here is my second try…

DSC_6301_01.NEF.xmp (15.3 KB)

3 Likes

My version…

DSC_6301.NEF.xmp (15.3 KB)

5 Likes

DSC_6301.NEF.xmp (13.9 KB)

3 Likes

Nice frame!
RT 5.9

DSC_6301_RT-1.jpg.out.pp3 (17.0 KB)

5 Likes

Rawtherapee 5.8 + Gimp 2.10.30

5 Likes

My Fun with GIMP

1 Like

The foreground was both important and interesting to me so I made sure that was brought out in my edit.
DSC_6301.NEF.xmp (10.8 KB)

3 Likes

The uploaded version was darker than I wanted. So here is a second attempt.

DSC_6301.NEF.xmp (13.9 KB)

2 Likes

I prefer the darker one. :smiley:

1 Like

I gave it a try; I’m not sure it’s even worth posting, but here goes.

dt 4.4.2

DSC_6301.NEF.xmp (6.9 KB)

6 Likes

Definitely worth posting. :slight_smile: Probably the most realistic version here actually, thinking back to when i took it. The dark foreground is certainly true to life. The only thing I can’t really remember definitely is how the clouds looked when lit by the lightening… so fleeting it’s hard to be sure…

1 Like

Nice how that far fence stands out. Adds a lot I think.

1 Like

Thanks Geoff, that fence was pure luck tbh😀 as I didn’t see it when I set up my tripod!

I’ve tried to make it a bit more dynamic compositionally, since the light and drama are already very dynamic. Cropping it down to put the (intentionally subdued) red foreground fence and lightning in opposite corners (to my eye) adds to the energy.

ART 1.20.2

DSC_6301.NEF.arp (26.3 KB)

I also pushed the bright whites about as far as they’d go, just to intentionally give the lightning bolts some more glow and intensity. I cooled the sky’s WB a little, since the lightning was already plenty warm enough, but it needed less magenta. After all that (using WB for artistic purposes, I know…) I needed to desaturate the horizon just a little bit. A vignette and a couple of gradients helped focus attention on the storm, as does some brushed in local contrast right over the lightning.

3 Likes

Great capture of the thunderstorm Steven.
My take on this one:

1. Crop so the lightning is more or less by rule of thirds
  2. Get rid of the red color cast of the fence and grass in foreground
  3. Bring up exposure of foreground
  4. Move the bright clouds more towards orange to contrast with blueish cloud
  5. Add local contrast.
    DSC_6301.NEF.xmp (13.5 KB)
5 Likes