Timeless graffiti in Genoa

If you’ve ever been to Genoa, Italy, and walked along the streets with its historic buildings, with all their exaggerated colors, you may have realized that they are just facades. Unlike the historic buildings of other Italian cities which display a three-dimensional luxury made up of sculptures and stuccos in their facades, the Genoese residences are in 2D. Their alleged luxury is a low cost one, because it is made of bright colors and trompe l’oeil and almost zero volume. In the same way as the graffiti we find today on the walls of the suburbs of our cities.

Genoa, a seafaring city, which like all seafaring cities of the Mediterranean sea has the same bright colors as its fishing boats.

In Genoa, this love for boldly colored facades can also be found in the buildings of the last century. It is as if Genoa were a modern graffiti, distributed over history. Therefore, when you get in the viewfinder of the camera the graffiti facade of an ancient building juxtaposed with the modern graffiti of an underpass you cannot resist taking a picture, even if the former is illuminated by the burning light of the sun while the latter is immersed in a dark twilight.

_DSC6863.NEF (29.4 MB)
_DSC6863_02.NEF.xmp (26.0 KB)

Nikon D7100.

This file is licensed CC0.

7 Likes

What interesting graffiti. What a challenging image to work with. You have done a great job with your edit to bring out the detail and colour in both the sunlight and shadows. I recently rediscovered the fusion option in base curves and applied that to the problem here. I then had to play a lot to sort out the contrast and saturation to a stage I was happy. Thanks for the challenge.
_DSC6863.NEF.xmp (19.4 KB)

4 Likes

I knew it was a challenging photo and I forgot to tell you in first place. I’ve read you rediscovered the fusion option in base curve (while I haven’t tried it myself). Thanks for your edit(s), and for the details you always post accompanying them; your explanations are always informative and instructive.

I probably overdid the local contrast adjustment in my edit, but only noticed after I saw in posted to the forum.

Hello,
Thank you for this challenge, not easy but very interesting.

DT 4.3 & Sigmoid.
_DSC6863.NEF.xmp (15.7 KB)

Greetings from Brussels,
Christian

1 Like

Thanks to you. Such a colorful edit. Explosive!

Your edit looks good. What settings did you do in sigmoid? Sigmoid didn’t look good in my hands for this image.

Personally, I don’t mind, I really like your edition. It highlights the details of the wall paintings.

@Christian-B if you want you can share you XMP sidecar file so that anyone can study your edit.

I thought my edit was pushing colors and contrast to extreme… :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry, I forgot, I added it to the post.

Thank you very much
I regularly use Sigmoid with two instances of the local contrast module, one for highlights and one for lowlights.
I also use the contrast equalizer and the DS module

1 Like

It’s true that with the midi console, I tend to turn the buttons

Interesting, why two separate instances? What is the advantage?

I noticed that Sigmoid gives very nice contrast in the mid-tones, but easily loses details in the high and/or low lights. So I have two presets with parametric masks that allow me to adjust them separately.

Greetings from Brussels,
Christian

I just played until I was pleased. dt 4.2.1

_DSC6863.NEF.xmp (7.3 KB)

1 Like

Now I understand. I thought you were using the sliders in the module separately.

1 Like

Thanks for posting
darktable 4.2.1

_DSC6863_01.NEF.xmp (9.2 KB)

3 Likes

I like the way you recovered all the details of the fresco.

2 Likes

My version… :left_right_arrow:

_DSC6863.NEF.xmp (22.5 KB)

Original, playful, bizarre at least! :laughing:
Thank you.
BTW, I hadn’t noticed before that there’s a St. George killing the Drake (that’s me) in the fresco…