Too Dark Prints with epson et-2650 using Darktable or GIMP

I have always to dark photo-prints with my Epson all in one ET-2650.
I use Darktable and GIMP on Linux Argentos both programs give me to dark images.
I did a lot of test prints.
What solutions are there. I have a simple screen ASUS VE248H.
Can somebody help me with settings or correct ICC profiles for screen and printer.
I use a NVIDIA gpu.

What paper are you using? Is your monitor profiled?

I actually wrote the User’s Guide for the North America version of that printer. Epson supplies ICC profiles for their photo papers, I’d suggest you get them if you don’t already have them.

Hi Mica. I do not have the icc profiles for the epson paper types. Canyou give me info how to get them. That guide would be welcome. Does the guide also gives info how to install the profiles in darktable and gimp?

Hi Mica my monitor asus ve248h is profiled with the corresponding profile named ve248. That i can see in the base settings of the linux argentos setting.

The guide is available on the epson.com website (I used to work for them). It does not cover darktable or gimp, because epson doesn’t support those softwares.

The ICC profiles are specific to the paper type, and are not available for cheaper papers… what paper are you using?

I’d assume the problem is that you’ve never calibrated your monitor, or you’re choosing the wrong gamma for your prints… can you show a screen shot of your printer driver?

Yes never calibrated my monitor. What is wise to do to calibrate the monitor. I let you know the driver soon. You know sometimes bedtime is in order ,:grin::grin: i did get the epson drivers with the packetmanager of Argentos.

I use some standard glossy paper. No brand on it. Will that matter,:thinking:

You need a hardware device, like a colormunki or spyder, to calibrate your monitor.

Yes it matters a lot. If it isn’t Epson brand paper, then the Epson ICC paper profiles won’t be of any use.

I did get the drivers with the packetmanager of Argentos linux.

There are not some standard icc profiles for standard glossy paper?
In the print setup of gimp i can choose some paper types of epson.

If you want to use the Epson paper ICC profiles, you need to be using Epson brand paper.

But really, you need to calibrate your monitor.

Hi Mica thanks for your advise. First I’am going to calibrate my monitor.
Greetings.

You also may try to use TurboPrint, not that expensive. Comes with many paper profiled and supported in dt since 2.4 with enhancement (full access to TurboPrint dialog) in 2.6.

@RMA start with this: https://www.photovideoedu.com/Learn/Articles/color-management-in-digital-photography-create-a-good-work-environment.aspx

Better try to find solution in Luminosity Landscape forum. There will be a lot to read. It may not be worth it :slight_smile:

Is that a CUPS or Gutenprint driver? In that case it is not correct to use an ICC provided by the paper manufacturer. An ICC profile depends on the printer, the paper AND the printer driver. The ICC profile offered by the paper manufacturer are either for Windows or MacOS. No one is offering ICC for GNU/Linux based drivers expect TurboPrint.

If you want to use CUPS+gutenprint you MUST create your own ICC profile. There is no way around that.

Dag, @RMA,

Use the search function here at pixls.us. Search for

dark print

MvG
Claes in Lund, Zweden

I still have to calibrate my monitor? Or is Turboprint enough?

You need to calibrate your monitor :smile:

I kno i know​:grin::grin::thinking::thinking::hugs::hugs:

You need to calibrate your screen there is no way around that. How can you adjust the color you’re seeing if what your seeing is completely wrong :slight_smile: