Trouble with end result when fine detail in front of a bright sky results in unnatural looking results.

It would be nice if Sigmoid also had a similar ‘base development’.

I feel Sigmoid already has that base development. Set the exposure correctly in the exposure module and in Sigmoid play with the skew slider. The preserve hue slider only sometimes needs lowering if strange stuff happens in blown highlights.

Sometime I prefer filmic and some times sigmoid. They are different and give a different look. Worth the experimentation and the read of the manual. It took me a while to warm to using sigmoid, but now I often consider using it.

2 Likes

Ya its a different approach to applying the curve. Its going to fade to “black and white” every time and the contrast and saturation mostly of the midtones is handled with the 3 sliders. I recall Jandren one saying that maybe 50% might actually be a good spot for a default color preservation but that was early days and looks like 100% was the decided value for that slider…

When you’re shooting in these situations you’re better off metering for the sky, I’m usually 99% in ESP/Matrix/etc and point towards the biggest sky patch. and set it to 1/3 or 1/2 stop overexpose. Usually I can still recover the sky and bring up the shadows of the foreground with no issues.

I find the color preservation slider has no effect on most images presumably because it is not needed. But setting it to zero can sometimes really help with funny colors in blown highlights. Every image is individual. I find there are three different options I have processing images. My default is filmic V6, second choice is Sigmoid and third choice is filmic V5. Which is best in my eyes depends on the individual image.

Thanks for the pointers. The initial frustrations and then the ongoing discussions and demonstrations has certainly challenged me with regards to changing the way I take photos. Definitely food for thought.

Up until recently - the cameras I used could only meter center frame - so it was point at the object I wanted to be exposed - exposure hold and then recompose. The new camera which I’ve only had since end of last year can meter on the focus point but only in Evaluative mode. So it is a biased average of the whole frame. Which I have found doesn’t always result in what I might expect.

More playing, experimentation and experience needed.

From my experimentation the other day - which I mentioned above taking photos at lunch of the Thames on a 6-7 Oktas day.

There is quite a difference between Sigmoid and filmic.

Tweaked Sigmoid was used for this - all other steps were the same. To try to dull the very bright white and fade to sky - tried a blue tint - a mask & colour correction to push the brightest white with a blue tint.

Tweaked filmic was used for this - all other steps were the same as above.

Auto filmic was used for this - the processed pixel clipping has large blocks just above the tree that went to pure white. Used the mask & colour correction to add a blue tint which seemed to work by fading gradually from cloud to white.

Tweaked filmic was used for this. This was the hardest as the processing pixel clipping hole in the sky was obvious. filmic was able to blur it out a bit.

1X1A2737.CR3 (28.7 MB)
1X1A2755.CR3 (28.1 MB)
1X1A2860.CR3 (22.3 MB)
1X1A2755.CR3.xmp (17.1 KB)
1X1A2737.CR3.xmp (11.3 KB)
1X1A2860.CR3.xmp (11.4 KB)

(Edited to add CR3 & xmp files)

When using filmic the default for the curve shoulders and thus contrast over the years has gone from hard to the introduction of safe and now back to hard but in the case of this image with the sky and on my monitor the trees along the river are crushed a bit…here is your edit…note the histogram pushed to extremes across parts of the image … just changing it to safe in this case I chose that for both the upper and lower end of the range brings it back in nicely and then you can further tweak the look of the sky to your taste with more range than if it is left pushed unless that is what you are looking for…

vs

EDIT

If you pull it back a bit as I mentioned you can further tweak…eg I have a preset I used in the past called clouds which is a large scale contrast bump

It gives you something like this…

So basically your edit with small change to filmic and little bump to the clouds…

Edit2

Seemed a bit color full. I had cranked up the extreme highlight saturation in filmic… back to default…none added or taken away… …but maybe something in between might acutally be nice :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My version…

1X1A2737.CR3.xmp (17.6 KB)

4 Likes

I think you see it most on flowers, sunsets, the usual suspects… and also switching to ratio in those circumstances shows the range of what you can get with sigmoid with that slider or the optional mode…

I feel that filmic sometimes (often) recovers more detail in the non-blown highlights that sigmoid in my hands. However, the auto tune levels sometimes is too strong. I would have approached your bottom image where auto tune levels has blown the whites in the sky by just pulling the white relative exposure slider back a bit towards the right. Filmic gives very good control for this. Also sometimes auto tune levels can make the blacks too black and that slider may need taming by bringing back towards the left. Auto tune levels is only a starting point.

With your sigmoid image, experiment moving the skew slider to the right and the left to understand how that affects the image. Sigmoid also normally produces more vibrant color than filmic which is more pleasing for my taste. However, this issue is fixed by adding the basic colrfullness preset in the color balance RGB module when using filmic.

The tone equalizer is also another module that should be used to brighten and darken regions of the image as required. I also am a huge fan of the shadow and highlights module because of the way it adds color and comtrast into the shadows. I will often use tone equalizer and shadow and highlights module together to get the look I like.

I just love how much control and options DT gives to handcraft the image how you want it to look.

That “little bump” to the clouds makes quite a difference. Wow.

Thanks for the demo - thats quite an interesting version. Thanks for your xmp - I’ll review and learn.

I’ll need to read & experiment more with Sigmoid. I haven’t encountered blown highlights on flowers as yet. Flowers are mostly supporting acts for my photos then primary talent.

Thanks for your pointers.

Thanks for your pointers - seems that when the next rainy day announces itself - I’ll have my day booked for experimentation. Darktable definitely, has a million ways of getting a result - so it will take time to play with each and every slider and drop-down option. My use of tone equalizer has only been in passing; but the shadow & highlights module I’ve used extensively - it can make dull surfaces stand out. I’ve also found that haze removal can in many cases make changes in colour more pronounced.

Everyday is a school day.

Sorry the reference was to the color preservation aspect… those reds yellows and oranges…it can make a substantial change into how those look esp if they are saturated or near breaking gamut…

1 Like

That is why I am so active on this forum, I also learn from everyone here. I have the user guide bookmarked so I can read the manual and understand the modules better. With filmic there is version 5 and version 6. The results are so different that rather than seeing V6 as a natural improvement over V5 I see it as a totally different option that often works better than V6. I am sure others here would agree.

1 Like

Here is an alternative with no highlight recovery, but uses rgb levels and masking.

1X1A2465.CR3.xmp (13.9 KB)

Thats very interesting - I’ve have certainly learnt that there are many ways to solve the issue. Your demo is much appreciated - I will study your xmp.

My fun in GIMP
(Darkable in GIMP GIMP L - a - b and HDR)

2 Likes

I haven’t looked at GIMP for quite some time. I like how natural the grass looks. Thanks for your demo - it has inspired me.