Unleashing the power of Shapes !

However it would still be a cloning algorithm, unless @agriggio has something under the hood for this.

the spot removal tool already supports different levels of detail preservation (including some that use a tweaked version of the healing brush from GIMP), so it’s already a bit more that simple cloning. It would probably need to be adapted for shapes other than circles, but it should be possible to do.

However, having this in the masks is already great! :+1:
Remember that ART is not meant to be a GIMP/Krita replacement, its retouching capabilities will never match those of the pixel editors, that’s out of the scope of the tool. (But of course we can always try to improve)

6 Likes

superb work, another excellent improvement to come… bravo @hombre :+1:

You are right Alberto on the fact that ART is not supposed to replace Krita or Gimp. I told myself that it would be useful since the tool is created to also place it in the spot corrector because it would logically be in its place if of course it did not represent a titanic job :face_with_head_bandage:

1 Like

I would say that when the spots from your lenses/sensors tend to be ‘shapes’ you might have to consider cleaning the equipment :stuck_out_tongue:

unfortunately is not always easy … For example, the Panasonic LX100 does not allow to do it either even because its lens is not removable :face_with_thermometer:

You mean is not ‘interchangable’. Nothing is ‘not removable’ for a person with a hammer and enough motivation to ‘fix’ something :).

But leaving the joke aside, yes, for some cameras is more complicated to do it and if one does not have the tools/skills needed, could be to expensive to clean it.

1 Like

A tool with adaptable shapes would be really fantastic for removing scratches from scanned negatives! (and would allow to get rid maybe of Krita’s beautiful cloning brush !)

3 Likes

Scratches would justify a dedicated tool, where you draw a line or curve over it and the algo fill the line with surrounding color and texture, possible because it would be really thin. Of course, for spot like scratches, you’ll still need to draw an area.

1 Like

Yes, it’s clear that this kind of algorithm would optimize this work. However even a simple cloning tool works very well as long as you can vary the source as you go along… The brush tool is perhaps the most suitable for this…?

Let’s make one thing at a time. Once the Polygon shape are merged, I’ll see if it’s possible to enhance the spot tool with non circular shape, if @agriggio permits.

3 Likes

I have an lx100, and it’s terrible for sucking in dust. A vacuum cleaner with a specially constructed paper tube over the lens did the trick though. Also I found an old fashioned camera shop that was able to clean the sensor for a very reasonable price, so it is possible.

Thanks for this tip :clin d’œil:. I had seen a video of a guy doing pretty much the same thing with a plastic bottle. I absolutely must try …

@jllailes The tricky bit is finding something that will fit over the vacuum cleaner nozzle at one end and your lens at the other. That’s why I found a stiff paper cone shape worked as it was easy to adjust. It’s a shame that, an otherwise brilliant camera has this flaw.

1 Like

As far as I know all fixed extending lens cameras have this issue. Ricoh GR users and also suffer dust eventually.

Small referral error :innocent:. This is my device by that of @jllailes . I agree with you, it’s a shame because this little camera is a marvel

Oops sorry about that. Aware that I am creating away from the topic here too…

1 Like

New improvement merged today in ART : per shape and global feather and blur value handling (see the 2 additional sliders in this screenshot. Also, the sliders are only available when Edit mode is on now.

6 Likes

Why doesn’t this just merge into the regular RT?

Because local editing through masking doesn’t exist in RT. Of course, the GUI part can be merged back into RT, but the engine need to be adapted to this kind of local editing. And as usual, it’s a question of available time and agreement.

The good news is that the GUI part can be merged back with minimum rework.