Use your photo camera as a webcam .... on linux of course.

https://medium.com/nerdery/dslr-webcam-setup-for-linux-9b6d1b79ae22

For openSUSE users @Marcus_Meissner already submitted a small script in the gphoto2-webcam package. For Tumbleweed it is already part of the distribution. For older distributions see Install package graphics / gphoto2-webcam

6 Likes

Of course it is worth mentioning … if you have an UVC/UAC compliant HDMI grabber and hook up your camera via HDMI to that, it will show up as a video4linux device directly and you don’t even need gphoto2+ffmpeg.

4 Likes

That is really nice but we also have to keep that in mind that using a dslr as our webcam needs a very strong internet connection for smooth buffer less video calling experience. Also form the other side the person I am talking with also has to have a very strong internet to receive the video quality I am offering. I think with average internet connection is will not be possible. Is it?.

2 Likes

Has anyone been able to get the camera recognized by Citrix Workspace App? I suspect this is not possible, as it doesn’t see mine, and there isn’t anything in the Citrix settings dialog about cameras.
I’d love to hear different though.

Among other things, this usually will lead to superior quality, framerate, and latency.