version=2 Lensfun database in Darktable

Hi,

I want to use a lens correction profile I converted from a LCP file in Darktable. I used lensfun-covert-lcp to perform the conversion and it completed correctly, creating ~/.local/share/lensfun_lcps.xml. However, when I launch darktable I get the following warning:

[Lensfun] /home/guyru/.local/share/lensfun/_lcps.xml:2:1: Database version is 2, but supported is only 1!

Which makes sense, as darktable loads liblensfun.so.1. If I try to force darktable to use liblensfun.so.2 it crashes (which I kind of expected). Can darktable be built against lensfun 0.3.95? Are there any prebuilt binaries for debian that support lensfun version 2 databases?

See How change to the deveopment version of Lensfun - #8 by elstoc.

Though I should say that darktable technically does work with 0.3.95 (ArchLinux uses it for example) but older edits might silently break.

Also 0.3.95 was a beta release and doesn’t work the same as the last stable release.

As an alternative you could create the profile yourself. I found TCA for EF 24-105/4L USM way too off for my lens. I took a sample picture for every reported focal length, put them in the right folder and run the script. Finished and way better.

Which script are you referring to? The one by Torsten Bronger?

I might try and do the calibration myself, I did it couple of years ago for the Canon PowerShot SX710 (only for distortion). I recall it was a cumbersome process. I thought using LCPs would be a good short-term solution until proper lensfun support is added for my new lens (Tamron 18-300mm for Sony E).

A prime lens would be way easier than 18-300.

Anyway, a VirtualBox with the script prepared for you https://youtu.be/PZ_M98Rd1Bo

Thanks, the tutorial helped and I created a distortion correction profile.