VIew from the Bastille Fort, Grenoble, France

Now it’s my turn!
This is my first time participating in PlayRaw.

I was working on some old photos in the archive and found this photo. Completely wrong exposure, sky with no detail. At first glance I was throwing it in the trash, then I became interested. I exaggerated colors and contrast. In the end I am satisfied :slight_smile:

I wondered if only I found something interesting in it and if by exposing it to the pixel.us audience you would find some interesting insights.

Your turn. Let’s see what you can pull from these pixels!

2007-02-17T16:11:36_NIKON D80.nef (9.0 MB)
2007-02-17T16:11:36_NIKON D80.nef.xmp (15.1 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

3 Likes

2007-02-17T16_11_36_NIKON D80.jpg.out.pp3 (13.8 KB)

1 Like

Tried to digg out some details…

2007-02-17T16 11 36_NIKON D80.nef.xmp (21.8 KB)

7 Likes

Interesting photo! I had a hard time to create some clouds here using “merge file” / “original image”, my result still has some ugly artifacts around the pole in the left and the right edge of the hill.

2007-02-17T16_11_36_NIKON D80_RT.jpg.out.pp3 (18.1 KB)

Thanks, and I really much appreciate the panoramic crop as well!

1 Like

My version…

2007-02-17T16 11 36_NIKON D80.nef.xmp (20.6 KB)

4 Likes

Thank you! As I wrote, at first I was going to throw the photo in the trash. I was surprised to see that there was still detail in the sky, and in my version I overdid the color grading :laughing:

1 Like

Wow! Thanks! As per @qmpel really like the panoramic cut! Love the color grading compared to mine that is very exagerated.

I really wonder if I should try to learn using DarkTable! @qmpel and @dqpcoxeas managed to reveal naturally looking clouds with no artifacts in the transition from sky to ground :+1: :muscle:

yes, definitely the best I’ve found so far. Not that the others are any less, but with darktable approach to editing I am really comfortable.

Coming back with another comment on this editing, but I’m very surprised by this editing and all the mask you’ve used. It’s great to see how you were able to pull out details from the original raw.

1 Like

To add a little humor… In this image I only see gremlins. :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

Not sure I know what a gremlis is :slight_smile:

This one wasn’t easy at all ! When I started, I had a vision… alas… I don’t have LightRoom, only RT… so the XMP file doesn’t work for me and I had to start from the basic NEF.
I struggled to bring it to look somewhat like op posted … but I feel it could be better.
Sky feels too artificial here, and I didn’t even get close to the tones I wanted for the mountain.
After 2 hours and 15 min, It is a “fine” result, but could and should be better.
Maybe I’ll give it another round sometime soon.
Thank you for the practice, @boredphoto !

RT5.9

VIewFromTheBastilleFortGrenobleFrance.jpg.out.pp3 (13.3 KB)

2 Likes

it’s a movie with cute dolls .

2 Likes

ahahah ok :slight_smile: I don’t remember the movie I think I saw it something like 30/40 years ago :slight_smile:

Edit: now I see better what you mean …

5 Likes

2007-02-17T16_11_36_NIKON D80.nef.xmp (12.0 KB)

1 Like

Not so easy…

2007-02-17T16_11_36_NIKON D80.nef.xmp (28.5 KB)

5 Likes

Not good.
I DON’T LIKE IT.
Making me think if actually RT is the best choice. Need to check “ART”!

VIewFromTheBastilleFortGrenobleFrance.jpg.out2.pp3 (14.3 KB)

2007-02-17T16_11_36_NIKON D80-1.tif.out.pp3 (14.9 KB)
With RT release-5.10, 0 and -4 EV, gradient masked and layered by GIMP.

3 Likes