what is color chrome effect and how to achieve it?

hello, does anyone understand what does that relatively new “color chrome” effect in fuji cameras?
what i have read is - it is heavy, takes 1-2 seconds of processing time in camera,
may be it boosts contrast only in already saturated areas?

probably darktable workflow is more interesting for me, because i can automate it by creating an xmp file and using that from console.

thank you.

Hi @inky,
Here is a better description than I can give:

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

3 Likes

I know it’s an old topic, but as we now have more nice tools… :wink:
Maybe someone has and idea with RGB Primaries?

@qmpel @s7habo ? :smiley: :pray:

1 Like

Just some color balance RGB adjustments and the above image looks similar on the left side. The settings may vary for other images though.

1 Like

Will be hard to make any judgements based on a picture that has mostly one color.

You mean classic chrome? Your best bet is a LUT that you can use with the lut 3d module. You can get one here:

1 Like

This is actually super simple and you don’t need rgb primaries for it.
Can be done with any module that influences brightness.

The idea is to gradually darken the vibrant colors so that an additional color contrast is created. This restores the depth of detail lost by the strong saturation.

In this case I will use the color balance rgb module because you can additionally enhance the effect with brilliance sliders.

This is what the photo looks like and the effect will be visible on the right side:

First we create a saturation gradient mask with the emphasis on the most saturated area…

grafik

…and additionally a brightness gradient mask with the emphasis on the darker areas:

grafik

How strong the gradient should be can be decided according to the motif

Now we have such a mask:

Now you can use the global brilliance slider to darken the masked area and thus achieve the desired contrast:

You can also play with other sliders in the perceptual brilliance grading to increase the contrast even more:

The blue version of the effect works on the same principle. You must additionally restrict the mask to blue.

6 Likes

Thanks! I was curious as to what colour chrome was actually doing. That makes sense, looking at some examples on line.

No, I’m pretty sure it’s a separate option within the film styles. ( Not Fuji owner!)

2 Likes

You’re right. Here’s what Fujifilm says:

For highly-saturated subjects, Color Chrome Effect adds depth, detail, and vibrancy in three strengths to red, green, or yellow tones where detail may otherwise be lost. Or use Color Chrome FX Blue to boost the blue tones in an image.

Looks excellent! Thanks a lot :star_struck:

So, just to give an alternative, you can probably achieve the effect also with the color zones module. Personally I like the flexibility, visualization and also the histogram it gives in the background, albeit it is not robust in all situations. See @s7habo for a robust solution with the color balance rgb.

This version is mainly done with adjustment in the lightness vs. chroma tab (see below). Also I had to increase the local contrast substantial. Left version is now with my adjustments. Probably not a perfect match, my patience failed a bit - editing the jpg directly isn’t gonna work so well, too.

7414d2f1120e3d625d1da1fa0803555bce6d274e.jpeg.xmp (15.0 KB)

Here are screens of the module settings
20_07.49

Now need for masking with the color zones module. You can see in the curves, that I decreased lightness for the more saturated colors. Also I added bit of a vibrance curve in the chroma vs chroma tab to boost the mid tones and decrease light colors even more. You could probably even create a preset from this.

1 Like

Indeed, some presets will have been made by nightfall :sunglasses: