What's new in post-0.2.7 version

Hi everybody,

I this thread I will summarise the new features and bug fixes that are added after the 0.2.7 release.

The first improvement concerns the sharpening tool, where a new method based on the great Sharpen [texture] GMIC filter has been added:

As you can see, the texture sharpening is now available as a native filter in photoflow, and is part of the options offered by the sharpening tool (the other two are unsharp mask and RL deconvolution).

This sharpening method seems to be really good for macro shots, where small textures have to be put in evidence. Halos in high-contrast edges are practically absentā€¦ very good job @David_Tschumperle!

1 Like

That was fast ! :clap: Great job @Carmelo_DrRaw !

1 Like

In fact, the interfacing between photoflow and GMIC is now pretty straightforward, and it basically boils down to defining the right tile padding and GMIC command string.

If you are curious, you can see the code here.

I have just committed one nice usability enhancement: the order of the active tools controls one the right of the layer list now matches the order of the layers in the layers stack.

The should fulfil @chroma_ghost request of few days ago, who made a very relevant remark:

I have just committed one more usability enhancement, that remained half-ready for quite a long time and I now managed to finalise: layers copy/paste.

The layer stack now has a contextual menu (accessible via right-click) that allows to cut/copy/paste a single layer or a group of layers:

1 Like

Thank you @Carmelo_DrRaw The development is looking great.

Itā€™s be great if we can get some keyboard shortcut, preferably customizable. Since Phf can be (and I suspect many people will) used as a plugin of GIMP, I guess using the same / similar shortcuts as GIMP would be a good starting point.

As a starter you may want to implement shortcut for viewing operation of the image, like zooming in and outā€¦etc

And shortcut for operations for the current layer like ā€œreset tool parametersā€, ā€œtoogle sticky flag on/offā€ ā€¦etc would be awesome.

This is definitely a good suggestion! I actually need to learn how keyboard shortcuts are configured and handled in GTK+, but it should not be a big problem.

For next versions, it would be interesting to have an option to have a ā€œFull screen modeā€ :slight_smile:

With Gimp you have two ways to do so:

• Press F11 (the usual shortcut, available on many softwares);
  • Press TAB (on your keyboard).

At present, not even RawTherapee has this options fully implemented (you can ā€œonyā€ close its panels).

This being proposed, presently PhotoFlow is already very powerful and, perhaps, this option (Full screen mode) is not so easy to implement currently.

First of all, thank you @Carmelo_DrRaw

this feedback is quickly put together to join the zoom, region of interest, histogram, inverse layersā€™ order, etc. one; inherently has some degree of subjectivity and sounds like winning but itā€™s more like a drunk pirate singing (?) :palm_tree:

• Buttons should have some sort of visual feedback, depress, shadow, colour change or somethingā€¦ find myself wondering many times, did I press that or not

• when selecting raster export format, one also has to write the format (I believe gimp is the same), if one chooses to export to tif and the file itā€™s gonna be tif and have .tif as extension for certain, could be there already and save us, 211 ms of looking again to what are we exporting an 796 ms of writing the extension, thatā€™s almost a second!!! :smiling_imp: not a big deal

• delete layer with delete key, saving 377ms more

• controls (can be like the normal grad) to position radial gradient, maybe also featherable and invertebrate ones like in path mask

BTW is there a way to close path mask other than right mouse click?

• double clicking a .pfi file opens PF but one has to manually direct it to the file, no big deal

• no drag and drop open - to the icon, no big deal

• when I try to open dng or exr PF crashes with no dialog whatsoever // dng and exr support

• this is just a hungry ghost, LUT support

• customisable tool set, so for instance one could take out freehand drawing, fill or what seldom uses and add a gmic filter or some preset a s a button, just an idea I imagine thatā€™s an IF after stabilisation

• the crop guides and its feedback is very weird, the offset grid does not help at all, a bit laggy too

• when scaling in pixlsā€™ unit need to enter both values even with the fit scale mode, thatā€™s annoying

• a few times when closing, want to save? and I select yes but then cancel, PF hangs, no big deal

• post normalize - bigger than zero does nothing, 1 creates strange square patches - see grab. Not checked if that happens also within gimpā€™s gmic

Cheers photoflowowers

Thanks for the feedback!

True, it is in principle foreseen but requires some work on the icon filesā€¦

I also agree on that, and Itā€™s now on my TODO list

I agree that positioning the center of the radial gradient with the mouse would be very good.
The shape of the gradient can be changed and even inverted with the associated curveā€¦ there is already an ā€œinvertā€ checkbox to invert the gradient

Will look into thatā€¦

EXR support is already included in some experimental version, and will soon land in the stable branch. For DNG support, it will take a bit longerā€¦

The same experimental version that has support for EXR also allows to load and apply arbitrary LUTs in HALD or .CUBE format (thanks to Gā€™MIC)

Would be nice, but I do not have yet meaningful icons for all the toolā€¦ Iā€™m putting that in lower priority for the moment.

Yes, the crop tool definitely needs some restyling :wink:

Youā€™re absolutely rightā€¦ the best would be that if one of the two values is != 0, then the other one is left unbounded. For setting a specific bounding box, one would still need to set both values
Not too difficult to implement, can be scheduled for next release.

I now realise that this parameter cannot work with PhotoFlowā€™s version of Gā€™MIC, simply because each tile is processed independently. I will simply hide this sider in the UI, as there is no way to make it working properly.

Cheers!

#SUPER! :boom: :tractor: :ram: :grinning:#

Looking forward, salivating, .cuuuubbbes
Ā 
Ā 
Its a diagonal off topic, but I was trying to blend a HDR and enblend-enfuse gives me errors, hdrgen tints the output and/or only works with 8bit tifs and for the life of me cannot make pfstools work properly =( ā€¦ I ended converting @Chymera 's NEFs from this thread. To be clear I have my own files to process but itā€™s helpful to see what others have achieve, as a reference. So I batched with dcraw -v -w +M -H 9 -o 2 -W -q 3 -6 {it might have been a lower -H parameter though}, then off to hugin and finally a reasonable time with Photoflowā€¦ trying to preserve HL as much as possible. Itā€™s not hyper-clean, thereā€™s a purplish patch of the sky -easily fixed with gimp - some moirĆ© (visible at 1:1) on the bridgeā€™s railing, etc. At least for those who like cleaner images, this time I didnā€™t add grain =)

Once again thanks Andrea

Ā 
DL Full sized jpeg (24M)
Ā 

You might be interested to know that photoflow also provides a batch processor. Here is a quick use guide:

• open one of RAW files you want to process, add all the layers you need for the basic processing before blending, then select all the layers except the ā€œRAW loaderā€ and save them as a preset (save preset button below the layers list). Give the preset file a .pfp extension (for example params.pfp) and put it in the same folder as the RAW files to be processed.

• now use the pfbatch command to convert all the RAW files and automatically apply the preset (supposing you are processing .NEF files):

```pfbatch your_raw_file.NEF params.pfp %name%.tif```

The name keyword will be replaced by the name of the input file, without extension. So the above command will generate your_raw_file.tif.

By the way, way kind of error did you get from enfuse?

Thatā€™s certainly interesting to know, kind of a mixed approach GUI and command line, nice!
just a silly question - Iā€™m using the osx 0.2.7 image - the pfbatch exec is where exactly?

Regarding enblend/enfuse some BS library missing errorā€¦ I do not dare to go down there and find and having to deal with the bodiesā€™ parts, you can smell them from here :stuck_out_tongue:
CONTEXT: These past couple of days Iā€™ve being trying to find the less painful more accurate HDR workflow possible. I was surprised to find first that LRā€™s own use of enfuse left a trail of visual scoria and that despite the ā€œcomfortā€ of a GUI (of the ones Iā€™ve tried), it takes too much time and decisions and tests and whatnot to get to a base - not even talking about tone mapping - just a base image (preferably a 32b exr) to start the real carving.
So I played around with the command line HDR options trying to find something clever and to the point like the good Guillermoā€™s zero noise was long long time ago in a far away galaxy, unfortunately in this machine Iā€™m also unable to run zero noise within wine. That also aligned the stack and IF possible would kill some ghosts.

Thatā€™s the best tedious rumble of a context for what Iā€™m seeking =)

A little while ago I wrote a short description of the workflow I use with Hugin to combine/enfuse bracketed shots: Only a small testimony - #5 by Carmelo_DrRaw

The good news is that Hugin is available for OSX and works fine (the screenshots in the tutorial are from OSX), so maybe youā€™ll find it usefulā€¦

Concerning the pfbatch command, I forgot you are under OSXā€¦ it is not included in the bundle at the moment, but it should be relatively easy to add it.

Iā€™ve known and use (almost solely for panos) hugin for some years. And yes Iā€™ve checked that thread and actually thatā€™s the one which led me to paperdigitā€™s expanded tuto based on yours; beginning of kittens thread, so a bit late thank you :wink:

For now Iā€™ll change beds like the good whore I am from LRā€™s enfuse to hdrmerge, to hugin, to median stack, always preferring the mucho-macho pals that eat raw, back to pfs aparently thick paste (trying to understand WTF pfshdrcalibrate is so sad) and then dance for a bit with amazonic hydrogen akira sub_hdrgen and a pill boost 4 all the lonely grandmas, to go back to fdr tools, hello pictureduck, by means of dcraw, give the watching brother (gui) a wink and zero noise another try, be a snob about luminance HDR and tease the imagefuser GUI just for fun. The less open softwera wonā€™t be publicise.

Concerning the pfbatch command, I forgot you are under OSXā€¦ it is not included in the bundle at the moment, but it should be relatively easy to add it.

Looking forward ā€” cataracts. A good weekend for yā€™all

Is there a Wavelet Decompose filter in Photoflow 0.2.7? I mean - something like the GIMP Wavelet Decompose plugin, that lets the user determine the number of scales and then creates a set of layers corresponding to the scales? I found a Smooth [wavelets] filter but it looks like something specific to smoothing.

@assaft

Yes, PhF has a wavelet decompose tool that is based on the same code as the GIMP plug-in. You can read about it in the announcement of release 0.2.7.

I still have to find the time to write a more detailed tutorial about thatā€¦

Thanks. Found it. Is the layer ā€œsplit detailsā€ that the preset creates equivalent to the ā€˜wavelet residualā€™ layer that the GIMP plugin creates?

Yes! I should probably change the name of the layer to a more informative oneā€¦ :wink:

Thanks!

For some reason it behaves differently when this layer (the residual one) is disabled - see below.

Iā€™m trying to understand if this is a bug or maybe Iā€™m doing something wrong.

Photoflow:

Compared to GIMP:

In the GIMPā€™s version the upper wavelet layers (wavelet scales) add up to emphasize detail of the underlying layer (the file 6.tif).

PFI file here.