(What's your) High ISO technique

Tried the new RawTherapee 5.5 with this image. Here is the result.
ND7_5235.jpg.out.pp3 (12.0 KB)

1 Like

A try using darktable 2.6.0rc2 with the new filmic and updated color balance modules

ND7_5227.NEF.xmp (6.9 KB)
ND7_5235.NEF.xmp (5.9 KB)

Totally Off Topic, but have you noticed that the S-cube is up-side-down?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

3 Likes

@stefan.chirila If I am able, I might try going there to take some photos myself.

Both are. I wish the third “S” were a “D”. They were just kids yesterday… :older_man::older_woman::sob::sneezing_face:

1 Like

Gulp. I missed that one :frowning:

1 Like

The tiniest strobe can have a massive improvement, especially for short range stuff like portraits. Also they can be set and forget automatic. Set you exposure on your camera a stop slower (800 rather than 1600) set your strobe to the correct metered value (1600), and pop away. A simple move like this takes half the light from the strobe, half from the scene. Experiment with more and less fill from your strobe and have fun.

2 Likes

Happy holidays guys (and gals if any) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry for the late feedback @stefan.chirila

I had a lot to do in the last weeks and couldn’t answer.
I didn’t use RT but darktable and only rudimentarily for white balance and noise removal without base curve.

For white balance I have chosen a small grey dot from the woman’s shawl :slight_smile:

I did most of the work in GIMP and yes, I have done selective edit by splitting models and background.
I treated them separately.
The idea was not to process the photo itself but simply to show you how I imagine the result in such a situation. :wink:

1 Like

That was all in RT. I shifted the hues of the yellow wall behind them closer to orange, since that is closer to their red jackets. I white balanced off of the guys grey collar, but I thought it was too yellow, so I made it a little cooler than that with the WB slider.

Yeah, it’s amazing how it seems possible to bring a corpse back to life with a dash of orange - in my experience. Let me hasten to add that this couple is quite alive and looking much better than that! :slight_smile: I know the orange-shift trick is maybe the easy way out, but for some underexposed, artificial light stuff it seems to be necessary.