where are error log files for darktable

This weeks weekly build for windows is crashing a lot for me. It may just be my computer because I am doing a lot of denoising for images and this seems to cause the crashes. Can someone please remind me where the error logs are found on a windows computer and where do I report the problem to? Thanks

A couple of weeks ago I was starting to write a Windows Support section for the manual or website. It is still a work in progress. But here is a section that helps answer your question.

##Install file locations

The install of darktable creates the following folders:

• C:\Program files\darktable - the program files to run darktable
  • C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\darktable - Configuration, databases, styles, and backups files are stored here. These include the darktablerc.txt, data.db and library.db.
  • C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\darktable\ for windows + 10
    C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\darktable\ for windows 7 Hidden folders in Windows, therefore copy and paste the link to find this. - OpenCL kernel, thumbnail image cache and the logfile. These are all safe to delete if needed.

##Troubleshooting

darktable uses a logfile output option that enables some troubleshooting. To invoke this ability, you will need to start darktable with -d and multiple options described in the manual (eg. all, perf, openCL). The simplest way is to go to windows run, cmd and type darktable.exe -d perf . The log file will be generated in the hidden path listed above.

4 Likes

The configuration and operation files of darktable.pdf (183.9 KB)

This is a bit old but I think much of it is still relevant… in case its of any use…

One more that could (maybe?) be added to the list is where dt write the “backtrace” files when it does what I think of as a “controlled crash” - on my Win 11 PC they land in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Temp

Thanks Steven. I just tried opening DT and it crashed when I selected my first image.
I found the crash file. Where should I upload it to?

Those bt barely have any good info. Upload it here.

Also, start darktable via the run and command prompt (come) with the -d perf option. I think understanding what’s going on is important.

my windows 10 computer is not recognizing darktable.exe from the command line.
Also I was unable to load the temp file as discuss.pixls said it was not the type of file allowed.

DT is crashing a lot on me this week. I have not had this problem in the past as severe as this week.

You need to navigate to c:\program files\darktable\bin before starting darktable -d perf.

Thanks for the replies. I am having difficulty following some of the steps. It may be because Darktable is on my second drive (D drive) but some darktable files are also on my C drive.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled DT insider build from last week and while I can not be sure issues have resolved, the next process images did not crash. I look forward to trying this weeks insider build.