Where are the most photogenic landscapes?

Interesting, I didn’t know the painter!
His style is not the typical manner of Dutch masters but rather that of the contemporary Italian school, specifically Claude Lorrain as the article suggests.

And yeah, Boris’ edit, especially his technique of dramatic lighting with masking reminds me of Rembrandt’s landscape paintings.

Countries I know more or less ( I know the names mainly in French):

• Italy : Dolomites, grands lacs (majeur, gardes, cômes, trasimene…), Toscane, Sicilia

• countless spots in central and south america : Atacama, Galapagos, Ecuador, Guatemala and Costa Rica for wild life, Rio of course

• Africa : Tanzania

• Ouzbekhistan mainly for the ancient towns

• East coast, south west coast and center of Madagascar: it’s now very complicated to travel due to lack of roads, and some places are now dangerous due to crisis. For safety concern and lack of reliable transportation if any, you absolutely must rent a car with guide.

• swiss : Oberland bernois (interlaken…), swiss riviera, you can travel also by train that are always on time (swiss precision!)

• France: corsica, “l’ile de beauté”, lot of trecks in high mountain (GR20 quite difficult), sea shore…, also Brittany, Dordogne, Bordeaux region (st emillion), pays basque

• Myanmar surely not advisable now

3 Likes

@betazoid If you want a place that is easily travelled by public transport with beautiful landscapes, then I can recommend the Yunnan region in China. The diversity of landscapes is great, in one trip you can have tropical climate with rain forests in the south, rice terraces and gigantic mountains in the Himalayas close to the autonomous Tibet region.

Public transport is phenomenal, the county is very safe and English is spoken by a lot of people. I would also think about spending time in smaller villages with excellent hiking infrastructure, e.g. Shaxi

2 Likes

Ah yes, that is on my list two. I know a few spots down there and used a remote telescope in the Aatcama desert when I was a grad student. Lots of remote locations, etc.

Don’t worry about the drivers license thing too much if you come to America. No one here can drive properly anyway so you’ll fit right in! But seriously, just had a friend come over from Japan and they just gave him a license without a test because of COVID. I’m not sure how hard it is to get whatever paperwork arranged but it doesn’t seem that complicated.

1 Like

You don’t understand: I cannot drive, and I don’t want to either. I don’t think I can learn driving. I think it’s too dangerous and too much responsibility.
But don’t worry. That won’t be an obstacle for me traveling to America.

1 Like

This may or may not appeal to you but it occurred to me how everyone is suggesting places quite far from you. For interesting landscapes and quite varied mountain views, I’d suggest Romania. It is closer to you, though not sure how expensive it is for you. I understand the Carpathians are quire different from the Alps, and the countryside can have quite a medieval look to it (of course depending on the location). I’ll link you to some web site with trails there. Hope it helps :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know Romania a bit form the time before I started to photograph landscapes. Very beautiful, especially places like Lake Saint Anna or the Murderer Lake, or the Frog gorge/canyon but afik at the moment they have a serious bear-problem over there, it is impossible to go hiking without a really large group resp serious guns. I did think about that several times though.
However, I want to add here that I am not sure about Canada/America in this respect either.
Edit: From what I hear, the bears even go into villages and towns, even bigger cities such as Brasov.
Well, I think in Mai or June 2018 I saw a bear near Brasov.

To my shame, I was born in Romania and never got to see any of the awesome looking places I see on web sites now :stuck_out_tongue: As far as bears are concerned, yes Romania has many, as far as I know it shares half of Europe’s bear population with Russia. How dangerous it is currently, I have no idea.

I live in Canada now (Southern Ontario, near Toronto). We don’t have bears here, but also the scenery is not that impressive. Drive a little north, however, say 200km, and there are bears (Muskoka area and Algonquin park), but people live with it quite well; there are guidelines of how to avoid them. They also don’t really want to encounter you. Unless they’re wildly hungry they don’t like being around people. I have actually been to Vancouver last summer. The forests there are just lovely, and the city and people’s attitude reminded me of Europe a lot. They have bears there but they seem to not have many encounters. I understand you don’t want to have anything to do with places with bears :stuck_out_tongue: I won’t try to convince you; but I do want to say there being bears is more scary than actually dangerous. Now Romania, I’m not surprised if it is a little less organized in terms of keeping tourists safe :stuck_out_tongue:

This just came to me; the Danube delta. Hiking the Danube Delta - YouTube
It’s not quite the Mississippi river, nor does it have the awesome food they have in Louisiana (I haven’t been but have seen and heard only good things about it) but the Danube’s delta does have wild horses and many hiking trails.

2 Likes

I think you took my comment too seriously, it was a tongue in cheek comment about American’s attitude toward driving. I regularly see people reading a book while driving and it seems to be the law over here that you must be using a cell phone and trying to consume a five course meal while operating a motor vehicle. As much as people say “Americans have a driving culture” we seem to want to do anything but operate the car while driving. It was more along the the lines of “don’t worry, no one here can drive properly either.”

I grew up in a very rural area and have been operating heavy machinery since I was tall enough to reach the pedals. Tractors, cars, trucks, etc. I do enjoy driving as an activity myself. However, I honestly can’t wait for the rest of the idiots around here to get self driving cars so they can safely stare at their so-called smart phone and choke down a cheeseburger in their car without endangering me.

4 Likes

Well. Actually I believe that meanwhile most people are not healthy enough to drive. Decades ago people used to have their test for getting a drivers licence, they got their licence and never had to renew it. The old licences are valid until 2033, but they won’t be renewed if their owners had heart attacks or take migraine medications. Until then, lots of people who are very old and/or have serious health issues and take lots of meds will drive cars. That’s the situation in Austria.
Well, of course, many people are very angry that they won’t be allowed to drive a car.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I was a volunteer firefighter/first responder for a few years (I’ve really led an interesting life) and you wouldn’t believe the amount of accidents caused by diabetics having blood sugar problems. Also, many are caused by people who are frankly just too old to drive. I feel like there needs to be a firm cut off at around 65-70 years old. People don’t realize just how far and how quickly reaction time and cognition deteriorates once you hit 60 even if you are otherwise healthy. Most of the “unintended acceleration” problems are mostly elderly people who confused the pedals.

The heart attack thing I can understand too but is there a point where someone is considered “rehabilitated” from that and can renew in Austria? I know a couple of people who had minor cardiac events, changed their lifestyle and are very healthy now and others who haven’t.

Many health conditions can lead to sudden blackouts among like diabetes. It should be more strictly regulated. Unfortunately here in America there aren’t real good alternatives for people who cannot drive so it’s very hard to take away a license as it’s a life line for most people. Even in most cities public transit is hit or miss. NYC, DC and maybe Boston are the only real places with a functional public transit in the US. Most other metros really rely on cars extensively. But we’re getting off topic.

1 Like

I think over here once you have a license you’re good to drive until you reach, I believe, 70 or 75, then you need to take the written test every year, or just the eye exam :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s scary if you think about it. Self driving cars will be good. I also believe once the vast majority of cars are self driving, they may no longer allow people to drive manually. If cars are self driving and “talking” to each other, the speed limits may also change. If things are very well calculated, they no longer need to mind people’s reaction time and cars might be allowed to go faster. But who knows.

1 Like

I think having 1 or 2 heart attacks and then recovering should not be a problem but… I know people who had 5 or 7 heart attacks and still drive their car.

Btw, here meanwhile everything is about making people not drive their cars, making car drivers angry and their lives miserable, and, above all, punishing them, i.e. making them pay money. Luckily this does not concern me. But car drivers apparently are willing to suffer quite a bit…

Thinking about the American West where a lot of our photogenic landscapes reside, there are spectacular locations you can get to on public transportation. Problem is, the reason there’s public transportation to a lot of them is for crowd control; wait yer turn to take yers pitchur…

Here’s an example, the Maroon Bells from Maroon Lake:

https://www.colorado.com/articles/explore-maroon-bells-what-you-need-know

There are great vistas still to be had for your own, but they usually require driving yourself, and sometimes over roads that will bottom-out regular automobiles. Funny, over at the railway forum they’re discussing the twilight of Colorado narrow gauge train chasing in the '60s using Volkswagen Beetles; no oil pan to scrape off the bottom!

At most any location, though, I find the best way to have a prayer of having it to myself is to get up at oh-dark-thirty and be there a before sunrise. You get a two-fer in that, blessed privacy and wonderful light when the sun comes up… :evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

I’d second the American Southwest. Hard to beat Death Valley and Joshua Tree.

1 Like

My cousin also recommended California, but more Big Sur etc.

You may want to switch the prefix land for night, and define your destination(s) by choosing the “darkest” spots on this map.

https://darksitefinder.com/maps/world.html#2/17.9/-61.9

With a tripod (and a bag of rice, if it’s not sturdy enough), a remote shutter (not mandatory, but certainly better) and lots of time and patience available, it would be a nice opportunity to join the Siril community here.

(As for safety, though, alone in a probably remote and foreign place…)

DISCLAIMER: I have done this once or twice

1 Like

Well, apparently, the thing with bears in Romania is that they - the bears - somehow understand that it is forbidden to hunt them (since a few years) and they lost their fear of humans.

Nobody but Prince Charles goes hiking in Romania any more.

1 Like

I was thinking the same, along with Bolivia… and that is all based on the Dakar rallies when they were hosted in that region.

If you can find any of the footage from that time you’ll see what I mean.

Apparently some great grandmother of his was queen there at one point. Brave guy. Also let us not forget the wolves in Romania :slight_smile: I remember to this day how surprised I was the first time I saw how large wolves actually get.

1 Like