Why does mask sometimes cover whole image when using combined drawn & parametric masks ?

I’m stumbling into this user-error frequently: having created a drawn mask, then wishing to add the parametric mask, I see (when I turn the mask control on) that the whole image is masked (in yellow in my config.), even though the boundary of the drawn mask is clearly visible (in red, in my config.). I tried enabling all the ‘polarity reversal’ switches but without success.

I think this also happens when I have completed a drawn masks and then decide, as an after thought, to add a parametric mask.

Where is the mistake I am making?

I don’t know, but I work the opposite way, parametric to get a rough selection and then a drawn mask to refine that selection. I don’t see the issue you describe.

1 Like

Are you in inclusive mode?? Everything is selected except area where both masks are zero and you start with the parametric mask being 1 everywhere often…

If you want your resulting mask to be those areas/pixels which are both in the drawn mask and in the parametric mask, then it should work, but as above, do the para mask first. (And first reset the module in case it’s remembering anything from your previous attempts)

If you want anything else then good luck!, it’s quite difficult or impossible. There’s a bug report about the “inclusive” setting here

and I’ve proposed a revamp of the interface here

I think if you use the toggle all button the masks get created as they should …although to me the drawn mask is alway shown with a polarity opposite to the parametric mask and to me this imparts a setting that does not match what its value should be on the screen given the mask…If you invert channels and use the inclusive drop down I think its not working at least in WIndows…I think I have submitted all manner of explanations so maybe it will get addressed. But if you always use the toggle all button back and forth which now toggles the mode automatically I think it works as it should based on the math of exclusive = only where masks are both masks are 1 and inclusive masked where either mask is 0 or 1 so the only unmasked portions will be where both the drawn and parametric are zero…

You may have seen these I prepared them to try and convey the bug for my git bug report…
Inclusive Mask Bug Feb 2021.zip (15.9 MB)

This was an older version I prepared a long time ago…maybe the examples are different or better??
Combined Mask Breakdown.zip (2.0 MB)