why vkdt is better than dt!

one thing just appeared to me and i wanted to share it.

remember how darktable has space invaders? well, vkdt has quake! here’s a video as proof:

si q1
space invaders is a 1978 arcade game, and quake is a 1996 pc game. so that makes vkdt 1996-1978=18 years more modern! not bad if you consider that darktable itself is only like 13 years old.

23 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

:space_invader: :space_invader: :space_invader: :space_invader: :space_invader: :space_invader:
:space_invader: :space_invader: :space_invader: :space_invader:
:space_invader: :space_invader: :space_invader: :space_invader: :space_invader:
:space_invader: :space_invader: :space_invader: :space_invader: :space_invader: :space_invader:

1 Like

No quad rocket mayhem, or axing people a question when quadded in multiplayer DM. Sorely disappointed.

1 Like

The only thing it’s missing now is an email client (or just include emacs and be done with it).

2 Likes

I was hoping for number munchers.

1 Like

As a side note, I’m not seeing semitransparent water/lava. You forgot to vispatch your maps for us Diamond Monster3D owners.

1 Like

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: Games :game_die:

That’s not Quake though is it? I don’t recognize the environs, weapons or foes.

(nitpicking)

Do we need a pixls open arena or xonotic server??

3 Likes

Looks like Quake level with Doom (2016) gameplay.

1 Like

well spotted, both of you :slight_smile: it’s a mod, but pretty much the vanilla quake code.

1 Like

haha brilliant. indeed the handling of water is terrible at best. but the above video drops the vis/bsp/qrad data on the floor and just ray traces all geometry at once. insane what today’s hardware can do when you compare it to the old one. i think i played this on 486 without hardware graphics acceleration.

hehe maybe same date next year :slight_smile:

1 Like

And take the flame wars there? :smiley:

3 Likes

Ah, effectively r_novis if I recall correctly. Known to be able to even slow down modern systems on large maps. You forgot r_wateralpha 0.5 :stuck_out_tongue:

I started with software+Pentium, and spent some of the proceeds from a summer internship in high school to buy the original 3Dfx card (Diamond Monster3D)

Nvidia has come a long way since the original Riva 128, which was IMO garbage even for its time.

Oh, someone coincidentally: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Ld9YNUWls

2 Likes

ahahaha brilliant. even better than mine. the thing as that you usually want to ray trace only quake2 upwards, because you have light lists. q1 pretty much only has fullbright textures which is super annoying if you want to sample the illumination. but doom! what does it even mean to cast a shadow from a 2d sprite! :smiley:

2 Likes

But can it play “nice” on Windows?! :slight_smile:
I would love to try out vkdt but I don’t have a Linux machine. Is the plan for it to be multi-platform one day?

1 Like

don’t know what’s nice about windows… i don’t have such a machine and i don’t know how to install a compiler on one. sorry.

I think it would be nice and “strategically” smart if vkdt were available for Windows. I think some people already compiled earlier versions on Windows. I have a dual boot system but I imagine it’s not so easy to compile it on Windows, plus I have other worries at the moment.
Maybe we can find someome for this task eventually.