Windows 7 failure 5.X, 5.1, 5,2, 5,3, 5.4, 5.5 libraries, right-click

heckflosse:

“Seems April 1st on your side of the world. I tend to close this.”

Calling people jokers or delusional doesn’t help your case.

RT 5.X is a big problem.

Your responses read like Microsoft Windows’ system stability in the year 1996.

Good job.

I know :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I see that you don’t get sarcasm.

And you completely didn’t follow my point about Windows in the 1990s.

Keep up the good work pretending there aren’t problems, it’s why Microsoft is NOT in the smartphone OS business.

The Earth is flat.

3 Likes

@JayKonnor

Now that you rephrased, I believe I understood that right click does not show you the context menu to open an image in RT (I’m still not completely sure about that because your post was not completely clear). Though that does not mean that RT is useless on Win7. If it would be, I would have stopped contributing to RT or fixed the bug.

So, let’s stay constructive. Please <= explain the issue in clear words to clarify so we know what’s going wrong.

Clean Windows 7 64-bit just installed, RawTherapee 5.5’s right-click “open with” works correctly:

Time to start entertaining the possibility that perhaps what really has “serious unresolved problems” is your Windows installation.

Have a fantastic Christmas

2 Likes

Oh, now I’m also guilty that Microsoft is not in the smartphone OS business
Why couldn’t you tell me that earlier? I would be a rich man now if I had knowledege about my power :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi @JayKonnor, as you can see, hurling insults doesn’t get you anywhere. If you’d like a resolution, you’ll need to provide a really good bug report, for which the link to do so has already been provided to you. Then maybe we can move towards a resolution. If not, then please at least stop with the name calling and insults.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, both ‘Open with Rawtherapee’ and the general ‘Open with’ dialogue work without problems on my “not so clean” Win7 64bit installation . Just a bit slower than on my Linux machine.

1 Like

Morgan:

“the earth is flat”

Massive false equivalence.

You’ve also arrogantly insisted that anyone who reports software installation problems (which occur tens of thousands of times a day around the world) must have this fantasy idea of the physical shape of the world.

Please stay friendly!

1 Like

I think you may have been a little unclear at first in what the problem actually was, and a blanket statement like I’ve quoted here doesn’t help your case. There are quite a few other people running 5.X just fine on Windows 7 machines that are not experiencing the same problem as yourself (me included).

Making a blanket statement like this is disingenuous and makes you seem rather alarmist and possibly self-absorbed (you’re having the problem, therefore everyone must be having this problem).

This is the most important statement in the thread. If you’re looking for help resolving the issue, perhaps you might be able to frame the question and qualify it enough for those trying to help you to understand?

4 Likes
Happy End Of The Year Time Period

http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/How_to_write_useful_bug_reports

1 Like

And RawThera 5.6 has the same problem, even if you select the “open as” right click option during installation, and even if I completely uninstall 4.2 before installing 5.6.

I’m fairly new to RT having started with 5.4 but have followed with great interest the RCs for 5.5 and 5.6. All on Win 7. Clicking on a file in File Explorer and choosing Open With RT has always worked for me although I prefer to open individual files from a catalog where I can preview files as digital camera filenames without a preview are pretty meaningless so I Open With RT from within FastStone which works flawlessly. Occasionally I might use RT to preview thumbnails before selecting ones to work on. Sounds like a corrupted registry might be your problem.

1 Like

If it were just a corrupted registry, then it should be fixed with a new installation of RT.

It did work on one clone of my Windows 7 C drive. However, it had not worked on that same drive for every version after 4.2 but before 5.5.

Until RT 5.5 successfully installed, RT had never completely displayed the catalog (folders in the Windows Pictures Folder).

After that success: RT 5.5 (and now 5.6) failed on a different Win 7 clone. Windows 7 is completely updated on this clone. And has all the other programs I use on it.

If I uninstall 4.2, and then install 5.6, right clicking “open with” and then navigating to RT results in AftershotPro attempting to open the raw file. This is despite having told Windows to open the file with RT 5.6.

afre:

And if you bother to read the thread which goes back to the Dec. 2018 release of RT 5.5, the file browser/catalog doesn’t work.

Additionally, it hadn’t worked with 4.2, which was the last version that worked at all on my Windows 7 system. Yes, I tried every version between 4.2 and 5.4. All versions after 4.2 but before 5.5 failed completely.

Then 5.5 released about 5 months ago, and it worked, file browser included, on one Windows 7 C clone, but the other Windows 7 C clone simply doesn’t allow one to open raws with RT 5.5, and now 5.6. (Like 4.2 and before the file browser/catalog also doesn’t work.)

To state the obvious: It’s best to glance at the thread before commenting.

Please, let’s be nice everyone.

1 Like

Besides, I have read all of the posts. I have just reread them again and nowhere do you say that until your latest post. But that is okay, because we are on the same page now.

An educated guess would be that you have been cloning your system too many times. At one point, doing a fresh installation of everything would probably be wise. Personally, I do a refresh once a year or so. It not only smooths out issues but also makes my ancient low end system much snappier.

@JayKonnor Let’s try to get to the bottom of this. I’ve read this whole thread, and I would like you to clarify a few things.

1. You have tried uninstalling and installing different versions of RawTherapee starting from version 4.2 up to 5.6 recently. Correct?
  2. The last version that you would call ‘working correctly’ is 4.2?
  3. If you open RawTherapee manually, does it work as expected and can you find and open your raw files?
  4. The problem you have is that the Windows context menu option does not work?
  5. Do you acknowledge the screencast of @Morgan_Hardwood here where he demonstrates that the context menu should work in Windows 7?

If all answers turn out to be Yes, then we can work further to understand the nature of the specific problem on your machine. What must be clear in this discussion, is that this is not a general problem of RawTherapee. If it were, many more bug reports would have been made and the issue would have likely been addressed by the (very) active developers.

4 Likes