Windows 7 failure 5.X, 5.1, 5,2, 5,3, 5.4, 5.5 libraries, right-click

Happy End Of The Year Time Period

http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/How_to_write_useful_bug_reports

1 Like

And RawThera 5.6 has the same problem, even if you select the “open as” right click option during installation, and even if I completely uninstall 4.2 before installing 5.6.

I’m fairly new to RT having started with 5.4 but have followed with great interest the RCs for 5.5 and 5.6. All on Win 7. Clicking on a file in File Explorer and choosing Open With RT has always worked for me although I prefer to open individual files from a catalog where I can preview files as digital camera filenames without a preview are pretty meaningless so I Open With RT from within FastStone which works flawlessly. Occasionally I might use RT to preview thumbnails before selecting ones to work on. Sounds like a corrupted registry might be your problem.

1 Like

If it were just a corrupted registry, then it should be fixed with a new installation of RT.

It did work on one clone of my Windows 7 C drive. However, it had not worked on that same drive for every version after 4.2 but before 5.5.

Until RT 5.5 successfully installed, RT had never completely displayed the catalog (folders in the Windows Pictures Folder).

After that success: RT 5.5 (and now 5.6) failed on a different Win 7 clone. Windows 7 is completely updated on this clone. And has all the other programs I use on it.

If I uninstall 4.2, and then install 5.6, right clicking “open with” and then navigating to RT results in AftershotPro attempting to open the raw file. This is despite having told Windows to open the file with RT 5.6.

afre:

And if you bother to read the thread which goes back to the Dec. 2018 release of RT 5.5, the file browser/catalog doesn’t work.

Additionally, it hadn’t worked with 4.2, which was the last version that worked at all on my Windows 7 system. Yes, I tried every version between 4.2 and 5.4. All versions after 4.2 but before 5.5 failed completely.

Then 5.5 released about 5 months ago, and it worked, file browser included, on one Windows 7 C clone, but the other Windows 7 C clone simply doesn’t allow one to open raws with RT 5.5, and now 5.6. (Like 4.2 and before the file browser/catalog also doesn’t work.)

To state the obvious: It’s best to glance at the thread before commenting.

Please, let’s be nice everyone.

1 Like

Besides, I have read all of the posts. I have just reread them again and nowhere do you say that until your latest post. But that is okay, because we are on the same page now.

An educated guess would be that you have been cloning your system too many times. At one point, doing a fresh installation of everything would probably be wise. Personally, I do a refresh once a year or so. It not only smooths out issues but also makes my ancient low end system much snappier.

@JayKonnor Let’s try to get to the bottom of this. I’ve read this whole thread, and I would like you to clarify a few things.

1. You have tried uninstalling and installing different versions of RawTherapee starting from version 4.2 up to 5.6 recently. Correct?
  2. The last version that you would call ‘working correctly’ is 4.2?
  3. If you open RawTherapee manually, does it work as expected and can you find and open your raw files?
  4. The problem you have is that the Windows context menu option does not work?
  5. Do you acknowledge the screencast of @Morgan_Hardwood here where he demonstrates that the context menu should work in Windows 7?

If all answers turn out to be Yes, then we can work further to understand the nature of the specific problem on your machine. What must be clear in this discussion, is that this is not a general problem of RawTherapee. If it were, many more bug reports would have been made and the issue would have likely been addressed by the (very) active developers.

4 Likes

Er, no. Registry is never self-healing, nor do installs tidy up registry. Always a sensible task to remove orphan/redundant lines in registry after re-installs or uninstalls.

1 Like

afre:

“cloning too many times”, what on earth are you talking about?

Besides being plenty experienced with cloning C drives:

The clone which I didn’t get RT 4.3 thru 5.6 to work on is years old, and works perfectly.

Again, next time read my post.

Also nowhere did I say “I’m cloning over a drive and RT fails on the new clone”.

Since you don’t know: Cloning is an 8 or 10 hour process. One doesn’t just run a clone like trying a new version of RT.

Thanatomanic:

1: Correct.

2: Correct.

3: No, I can NOT open files with any version of RawTherapee after 4.2 on this particular Windows 7 installation. Yes, Windows is fully updated.

4: If by “context menu” you mean “right click”; the problem is already with RT 4.2 I need to use right click to open raws. But not even that works with now 5.6.

(Morgan’s blame the user first wins him no respect from me. It’s lazy and arrogant to have not asked for example “any other problems with this Windows C drvie?”, the answer is “no”.)

5: I’m well aware of how RT 5.5/5.6 works on Windows 7. Since RT 5.5 installed correctly on one Win 7 C drive clone. This is after years of failures since 4.2.

Your last paragraph:

I can’t say whether it’s a general problem. It’s years old. As I said already every version of from 4.3 to 5.4 had it for me. It was only fixed with my primary Windows 7 clone with the release of 5.5. Then say a few days a later I put my other Win 7 clone in and attempted to install RT 5.5, and it had all the failures listed by me above.

mannikon:

Do plenty of reg cleaning after the fact of various installations.

Remember this problem, though now confined to one Windows C drive, was universal for me with Windows 7 with every version of RT from 4.3. thru release of 5.5 in Dec 2018.

It’s telling to me that Ubuntu 16-04 never approved any version beyond 4.2 for Ubuntu. (My "upgrade of Ubuntu to 18-04 ended in failure, so I can’t test if Ubuntu 18-04 allows later versions of RawTherapee.)

I’ll ignore any snarky comments towards valued members of the community. :roll_eyes:
But these two points are interesting. Can you confirm that after you install RT (version 4.4, 5.5 or 5.6, take your pick), and you double-click the icon on your desktop or in the start menu, the software does not start? Or do you mean something else by “I can NOT open files”?

Are you referring to opening files with the File Explorer right-click, or running RawTherapee from the Start menu and opening a file from its internal menu? This is important to know in order to isolate the problem to either the RawTherapee program or its installer. Even more important here in that others have demonstrated on their systems that the right-click method works for them, and in this thread you are the only person who has evidenced this problem.

I know it’s frustrating when something doesn’t work the way you expect it to, but these folk are really trying to help you.

Both.

Again, every version of RawTherapee from 4.2 thru 5.4 was a complete failure on my Windows computer.

Then 5.5 released in Dec 2018, and that works correctly, catalog and right click included, on my primary Windows C clone.

So a few days later I tried it on my back up Win 7 C clone, and it had/has all the failures that have plagued RT since version 4.3. Then when RT 5.6 released in April 2018, it too has the same massive failure on my back up Win 7 clone.

(5.6 works fine, just like 5.5, on my primary Win 7 C clone. Here I remind you that 5.4 did NOT work on this primary Windows 7 C clone, nor 5.3, 5.2, etc.)

No, most, not all, of the responses above are variations of blame the user or posted by responders who clearly haven’t read any of my summaries. Right you aren’t in either group.

There’s “cloned to many times”, “Windows needs a fresh install”, “you know there’s a catalog”, etc. ALL of these express stunning ignorance and arrogance. The Windows needs to be reinstalled is especially ignorant, since if that were the case there’d be other huge software application fails. And there aren’t, not even minor ones.

Rawtherepee has had serious unresolved problems since the release of 4.3. Nor did the catalog ever work in 4.2, 4.1, 4.0, 3,X, etc. Yeah, I go back a long way with RT. Looking over my post from Dec 2018 above, I see that RT 5.0, first release, did sort of work, on Win 7, but as best as I remember the catalog didn’t. And then 5.0 release 2 was no good. No these were not release candidates. There were two separate releases of 5.0.

You insist there has been a major problem with RT for several years, although nobody else ever ran into the same problems as you and told us. That claim is quite arrogant too. :upside_down_face:

But I digress. Back on-topic:

So a few days later I tried it on my back up Win 7 C clone, and it had/has all the failures that have plagued RT since version 4.3. Then when RT 5.6 released in April 2018, it too has the same massive failure on my back up Win 7 clone.
(5.6 works fine, just like 5.5, on my primary Win 7 C clone. Here I remind you that 5.4 did NOT work on this primary Windows 7 C clone, nor 5.3, 5.2, etc.)

It’s a little tricky to filter through all the different systems and versions. But to confirm that this is your current situation: on your primary system RawTherapee 5.6 works flawlessly, but on your backup system no recent version of RT works at all.

That seems to be supported by at least this earlier quote:

The clone which I didn’t get RT 4.3 thru 5.6 to work on is years old, and works perfectly.

This leads me to believe that there it nothing inherently wrong with RT itself. If RT does not start, or the right-click menu in Explorer does not work properly, there still might have been an installation problem. Or there might be left-over files from a previous installation (either in the installation folder, or in your local AppData) that cause a conflict.

Maybe you already checked, but assuming you did a regular install of RT, could you try to remove all traces or RT on your backup system by making sure the following directories are empty or do not exist:

C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\RawTherapee
C:\Program Files\RawTherapee

Any slight variations of those folder names should be removed too, if they exist.
This should get you as clean as possible to once again try to install RT 5.6.
If it still does not work after that, I am afraid I cannot help you any further.

I’m probably about to become a member of your first group, but here goes: In post #4 above, @heckflosse was looking for specifics about the failure, but in post #5 all you posted was a screenshot of the menu item with the phrase “this doe not work?”. What would have been more helpful would have been the specific error message you got, or none if not manifest. Anything that would tell folk where to look.

Your problem will be especially hard to isolate because it appears to be unique to your situation. More specifics about your situation will be needed.

Thanatomanic:

The follow statement you made tells me you are NOT familiar with installing RawTherapee on a Windows computer:

Since RawTherapee does NOT uninstall old versions when you install a new one. This is a stunning mistake you made.

Right, as I already said 5 months ago, uninstalling the old version (4.2) before installing 5.5 doesn’t lead to a working 5.5.

It’s not hard to follow how many “versions” of Windows 7 I’ve tried this on. There are 2 clones. With a minor exception of the first release of RT 5.0 (there were two 5.0s) every version of RT from 4.3 thru 5.4 was a failure on both C clones. Now, RT 5.5/5.6 is just failing on the back up.

Please don’t assume I’ve never installed an application on a a Windows computer. It makes you really unhelpful.

This is a years long problem with RT and Windows 7.

And then:

Start? No, RT 5.6 starts, it just won’t open files.

Also, no you mean problem with the installer as it is coded. Again, it’s a years long problem with the Win 7 version.

ggutcher:

I have POSTED NO screen shots.

That’s another trying to be helpful. And not doing so. That screenshot may have showed up in one of my replies.

heckflosse was unhelpful in the extreme and wasn’t seeking more information. My first post on this subject is quite clear. heckflosse wasn’t simply trying to get me to use different terms for the RT failures.

Regards your request for error messages: there are none.

Please, I am just as entitled to my knowledge of RT and Windows as you are. There have been conflicts in the past where an old settings file prevented RT from working properly.
So, please entertain me and follow my suggestion as written in my post. If it does not work, we need to think hard again.

Start? No, RT 5.6 starts, it just won’t open files.

See, now we’re making progress. Can you post a screenshot of the folder you try to access from within RT? And can you indicate what you expect to happen, bit what does not actually happen? Are the files missing in the overview? Do they not open when you double-click them? Etc.