Windows Build with latest work on new Highlight recovery mode...

Did you rename it yet or is it still just highlight reconstruction in the module…I’ll poke in the code…just making sure my merge got the new code…

EDIT …seems like its still the same name…

@priort some updates mainly changing about the user interface.

I will try to put up a new build tonight…now @Iain has to update his documentation… :slight_smile:

I’ll rebuild to confirm but I have this now in the dialogue box…bottom slider is clipped off …
and the method is still called highlight recovery…
I will check the merge of the code rebuild and try again…

So I ran it again and I now see the name change but the box is clipped…from the code is the reconstruct a drop down now ??

Okay follow up…thinking I should just click around …clicking on reconstruct reveals the drop down selection list…but I think its not really obvious that this is a dropdown control…does it need an arrow or some indicator?? Maybe I was just thrown as at first I was looking for a slider…

I tried the various modes and none seemed to move the histogram or change the display at all…may have to try more images…

I have this recurring issue that I clone the darktable repo into a directory. I have called it darktable-HLR

Then I add a remote branch from @hannoschwalm darktable repo.

It works the first time I do it and I can build but when there are updates or if I do a git pull in the remote branch that I have fetched and checked out I get merge conflicts…

This is my sequence for a successful build but then when I go to build it after some changes made on the remote and do a git pull I see the errors noted above and I have not been able to resolve them with git add or other suggested strategies… i am sure i have missed something and I must admit the whole Git environment is still largely a mystery to me at times…

Cloned DT master into darktable-HLR

git clone https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable.git darktable-HLR
cd darktable-HLR
git pull (if first time should say up to date)
git submodule init
git submodule update
lensfun-update-data
git remote add Hanno https://github.com/jenshannoschwalm/darktable.git
git fetch Hanno
git checkout -b hl_recovery_v5 Hanno/hl_recovery_v5
mkdir build
cd build
For generic build…if release drop -dbinary
cmake -G Ninja -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/darktable -DBINARY_PACKAGE_BUILD=ON …/.
cmake --build .
cmake --build “/home/prior/darktable-HLR/build” --target package – -j16

To see branch summary

git fetch --all; git branch -vv

New version with updates to the math and cosmetic changes…

2 Likes

@priort the last push has some corrections :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

@priort could you do this too? It’s a version with additional temporary code for finding good defaults in a “developer” mode.

1 Like

Np just having dinner will do it shortly

@hannoschwalm Here you go…

1 Like

Todd, this is a build from the clone of hanno’s hl_recovery_v5 branch?

Ya I added it as a remote branch…to the main darktable one but I think its pretty up to date on in any case…

PS with all these builds I have inherited the color calibration AI edges black screen.

I should have been paying closer attention as to when it happened…

Would have been nice to catch that one

Thanks @priort for your effort, it certainly helps Iain as he can’t build dt on windows himself! Just a reminder, this is highly experimental stuff, for sure only a small part of that will find it’s way into an official dt pr. Some parameters in the module are changed / treated in a way that would be concidered “no and never”.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. I did try cycling through the various modes in the drop down. I was not able to discern much from that exercise… perhaps I just need the right image or the differences are indeed subtle…

@hannoschwalm I dont know how to compare two branches that are not in my repo. Are the hl_recovery_V5 and gl_recovery_v4 different solutions?

Use v5 this is the most current version of it in the evolutionary process

The 5er branch won’t work after the pr 4 has been merged.

I just tested the merged PR. This is very fast and very good at recovering the highlights. The slides changed since the last time I did a build. In one image I had I wanted to feather or bloom the segment selections because it was not picking up the edges correctly. It is a very tricky image, so it might be an outlier case for recovery.

So still working on v5 ie its the working version and only 4 considered safe so merged this one??