Windows Build with latest work on new Highlight recovery mode...

The v5 code only adds the “guess values in areas with all color channels clipped” code. I have yet not decided if I will do a pr for this part, results must be pleasing and performance good. Otherwise no chance for me.

1 Like

@priort @Iain @garagecoder

In dt github there is a pull request (currently marked as WIP) implementing the recovery code.

1. As we calculate distance for every segment we can avoid processing very small/narrow segments for performance.
  2. the strength of the effect is now controlled via a slider
  3. we can select gradient attenuation for small and large segments and we have an new “generic” mode that calculates date based on maximum distance in that segment.
  4. noise can be added to all-clipped segments
  5. Performance is pretty good - here even on 45Mpix images with lots of segments the recovery mode adds less than 100msec in almost all cases.

@priort I would appreciate if you could again compile for windows to allow Iain proper testing.

Please report back your experience, current code seems to be good after a lot of testing but a) don’t know what you think of it and b) we should concider if it’s ready for open-world.

2 Likes

Currently in Gros Morne on vacation…can do but not for a week or so

Looked that up, have fun and happy hiking?

@g-man provided a build (thanks!) and I have done some tests. It looks good.

Sometimes it is even difficult to know which parts of the image are clipped. I will look at the image and think, ‘well that part is not perfect’ and then when I turn it off, I find that so much more of the image was clipped and I didn’t even notice.

3 Likes

I also think it’s pretty good.

Could you specifically look at the “flat” modes please? I do a morph closing before calculating the gradients so the borders are not identical. I don’t see an issue but let me know.

Thanks…it’s a beautiful spot…

View looking back down from my hike a couple of days ago

5 Likes