Windows Build with latest work on new Highlight recovery mode...

@priort some updates mainly changing about the user interface.

I will try to put up a new build tonight…now @Iain has to update his documentation… :slight_smile:

I’ll rebuild to confirm but I have this now in the dialogue box…bottom slider is clipped off …
and the method is still called highlight recovery…
I will check the merge of the code rebuild and try again…

So I ran it again and I now see the name change but the box is clipped…from the code is the reconstruct a drop down now ??

Okay follow up…thinking I should just click around …clicking on reconstruct reveals the drop down selection list…but I think its not really obvious that this is a dropdown control…does it need an arrow or some indicator?? Maybe I was just thrown as at first I was looking for a slider…

I tried the various modes and none seemed to move the histogram or change the display at all…may have to try more images…

I have this recurring issue that I clone the darktable repo into a directory. I have called it darktable-HLR

Then I add a remote branch from @hannoschwalm darktable repo.

It works the first time I do it and I can build but when there are updates or if I do a git pull in the remote branch that I have fetched and checked out I get merge conflicts…

This is my sequence for a successful build but then when I go to build it after some changes made on the remote and do a git pull I see the errors noted above and I have not been able to resolve them with git add or other suggested strategies… i am sure i have missed something and I must admit the whole Git environment is still largely a mystery to me at times…

Cloned DT master into darktable-HLR

git clone https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable.git darktable-HLR
cd darktable-HLR
git pull (if first time should say up to date)
git submodule init
git submodule update
lensfun-update-data
git remote add Hanno https://github.com/jenshannoschwalm/darktable.git
git fetch Hanno
git checkout -b hl_recovery_v5 Hanno/hl_recovery_v5
mkdir build
cd build
For generic build…if release drop -dbinary
cmake -G Ninja -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/opt/darktable -DBINARY_PACKAGE_BUILD=ON …/.
cmake --build .
cmake --build “/home/prior/darktable-HLR/build” --target package – -j16

To see branch summary

git fetch --all; git branch -vv

New version with updates to the math and cosmetic changes…

2 Likes

@priort the last push has some corrections :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

@priort could you do this too? It’s a version with additional temporary code for finding good defaults in a “developer” mode.

1 Like

Np just having dinner will do it shortly

@hannoschwalm Here you go…

1 Like

Todd, this is a build from the clone of hanno’s hl_recovery_v5 branch?

Ya I added it as a remote branch…to the main darktable one but I think its pretty up to date on in any case…

PS with all these builds I have inherited the color calibration AI edges black screen.

I should have been paying closer attention as to when it happened…

Would have been nice to catch that one

Thanks @priort for your effort, it certainly helps Iain as he can’t build dt on windows himself! Just a reminder, this is highly experimental stuff, for sure only a small part of that will find it’s way into an official dt pr. Some parameters in the module are changed / treated in a way that would be concidered “no and never”.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation. I did try cycling through the various modes in the drop down. I was not able to discern much from that exercise… perhaps I just need the right image or the differences are indeed subtle…

@hannoschwalm I dont know how to compare two branches that are not in my repo. Are the hl_recovery_V5 and gl_recovery_v4 different solutions?

Use v5 this is the most current version of it in the evolutionary process

The 5er branch won’t work after the pr 4 has been merged.

I just tested the merged PR. This is very fast and very good at recovering the highlights. The slides changed since the last time I did a build. In one image I had I wanted to feather or bloom the segment selections because it was not picking up the edges correctly. It is a very tricky image, so it might be an outlier case for recovery.

So still working on v5 ie its the working version and only 4 considered safe so merged this one??

I concider the v4 code as stable, and wanted a merge into master early for more feedback on results people get with it