Woodland sunrise

Good morning. The good thing about this time of year is that you don’t have to get up very early to see a sunrise. This was a scene I saw on a walk in my local community woodland.
This is my rendition using ART.

I would be interested to see how people deal with the highlights.
Brandon Woods Sunrise 1.RW2 (14.7 MB) Brandon Woods Sunrise 1.RW2.arp (46.6 KB)

Just to add, I used auto matched tone curve, colour propagation highlight recovery, log tone mapping, tone equaliser and a vignette. Also used the dcp colour profile from Adobe Camera Raw for my camera.

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

12 Likes

Wonderful scene!

Brandon Woods Sunrise 1.RW2.pp3 (11.5 KB)
RT 5.8

No double demosaicing or adjustment of capture sharpening contrast threshold as pressing the show mask button made it crash.

4 Likes

Brandon Woods Sunrise 1.RW2.pp3 (15.2 KB)

6 Likes

I’d be really curious as well to see how peoples in darktable deal with it, with global tonemapping gone from the 3.4 version, I’m a little lost :slight_smile:

@clind Should be pretty possible using tone equaliser and filmic with highlight reconstruction.

Hi. Nice shot. Here is a quick DT 3.4 edit

Brandon Woods Sunrise 1.RW2.xmp (9.5 KB)

1 Like

My play with DT 3.4.

Brandon Woods Sunrise 1.RW2.xmp (11.6 KB)

1 Like

Hi nice shot, this my result with DT 3.4

Brandon Woods Sunrise 1_05.RW2.xmp (16.2 KB)
DT 3.4

I have not managed to reconstruct the highlight in the center as the other users of RT/ART have managed to do. I played around with the highlight reconstruction but in this case couldn’t get a satisfying result. This is why i used the filmicRGB Reconstruction witch in my experience mostly blurs the highlights?
It would be nice if someone with more experience could help out? :wink:

I also used the Fuji 400H 4+++ from HaldCLUT 3D LUT

1 Like

I know, and I’m trying, but I just manage to get a blurry mess, not some kind of cloud recovery like the one seen in the example posted by raw therapy users, and it’s not the first time that I notice that :slight_smile: !

1 Like

Thanks for posting, Nice colors
DT 3.4.0

Brandon Woods Sunrise 1_02.RW2.xmp (10.6 KB)

1 Like

Hi. I’d suggest to use the darktable 3.6 user manual - color reconstruction module. Disable the highlight reconstruction module. If you want more highlight recovery, then you can get this by either adjusting the white relative exposure in filmic accordingly and/or using the tone equalizer. The local contrast module can additionally help to compress tonal ranges. But I still think that RT is doing better here.

3 Likes

I have used RawTherapee, then more recently ART for a long time and it always had very good highlights recovery, often better than commercial software. I wonder what their special recipe is?

2 Likes

Filmulator, merging two different outputs in order to deal with both highlights and shadows.

4 Likes

This is a tough one. I had to abandon my filmic curve and use a wonky control point curve to aggressively lift the shadows while keeping gradation in the sky. I’m posting as a rawproc screenshot to show the curve:

That, and a bit of color saturation.

Edit: Oops, selected the wrong tool for the screenshot, so I replaced it.

1 Like

Most of the detail could be recovered/replaced in RT using the highlight compression slider (along with highlight reconstruction such as color propagation). DT also has a highlight compression slider, found in the basic adjustments module. Its worth trying if filmic doesn’t produce good results, however in my experience the RT highlight compression is still superior.

2 Likes

Color Propagation is the magic sauce.

I use it in Filmulator, and that’s how I got such good sky color in my rendition.

4 Likes

Here is my attempt using DT 3.4. Could get a quite nice result using filmic reconstruction and tone eq.

Brandon Woods Sunrise 1.RW2.xmp (26.8 KB)

I always love RT’s detail and DT’s colour/tone.

4 Likes

DT edit

Brandon Woods Sunrise 1.RW2.xmp (12.8 KB)

2 Likes

DT 3.4

Brandon Woods Sunrise 1.RW2.xmp (10.3 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your result.
I liked your attempt and could learn a lot from your xmp file.
Especially how you reconstructed the highlight with filmicRGB and the Tone Equalizer. It was not that complicated after all :smile:
Other than that liked how you used the Colorcalibration (col) and its parametric mask and also the Contrast-Equalizer Curve to clean up the bushes in the middle of the image (and the glow of the hightligh?)

Thanks for pointing that out, I always overlooked this slider.

This was another module I was not aware of, but unfortunately i was unable to get a satisfying result with it this time. I think i will play around with it in the future, but in this case a proper use of the filmicRGB worked quite well :blush:

I learned a lot, thank you all