Woodland sunrise

technically i have no idea about such things.

my opinion

darktable is no worse than other converters in the area of lights. However, in my opinion, DT is worse at reconstructing the color components.
darktable, apart from the module “global tone mapping” (obsolete), lacks the possibility to work out the tone values.
(see the video in my post - please don't kill "global tone mapping" - #20 by Suki2019)
“Local contrast” can also be used for this, but it is not as effective afterwards. The “tone equalizer” is too soft as a filter to work out structures.

translate from google :sweat_smile:

I think for example Rawtherapee might have a better highlight reconstruction than darktable. It definitely has better noise reduction capabilities. I prefer darktable, nevertheless.

I think for example Rawtherapee might have a better highlight reconstruction than darktable.

Try increasing raw white value to 5000 or even 7000. It will reveal a lot more details in highlights. But you will have to fight purple in the sky (in this case) or horizontal/vertical banding. Different raw values is the reason of “better highlight reconstruction”.

Lightzone - messing around with styles after reducing exposure.

What?

Yes, I have done this a few times in the past. Sometimes it helps somtimes not. But I often forget about this possibitlity. I will try more often :-).

delete the sentence. :sweat_smile:
simply put, in my opinion rawtherapee has good tone mapping options
DT is still the best converter for me

@clind Those questions are a good summary of a lot of what is being discussed. If the answer is:

then nobody has come up with an easy answer so far, although the suggestion by @Timur helps sometimes.

Wysyłanie: Brandon Woods Sunrise 1-SNS-HDR_Dramatic-LAB.jpg

GIMP

1 Like

DT 3.4.1.1

Brandon Woods Sunrise 1.RW2.xmp (29,4 KB)

1 Like

darktable-3.5.0+1863

Brandon Woods Sunrise 1_06.RW2.xmp (27.6 KB)

1 Like

Thank you for the play. First edited with RT, thereafter heavy edited with GIMP/G’MIC:
This photo is very difficult to process because of the tricky colors and highlights.