ART new releases

It is, but i’ll likely end up downgrading other packages which are build against glib2 as well. I see what i can do, maybe i’ll start a fresh install with on older iso and try upgrading step-by-step.

Appreciate the help! But don’t destroy your system just for this… :slight_smile:

No worries, i’ll spin up a vm or just reinstall afterwards, setup only takes a few minutes. :wink:

Hi,

i can confirm that everything is fine on Arch snapshot 2021-03-19 with glib2 2.66.7 and the faulty behaviour is there with Arch snapshot 2021-03-21 with glib2 2.68.0.
Let me know if i can do any further testing.

Thanks for the info! Can I get a VM with the offending version somewhere? I have no experience with arch…

Sure. I’ll prepare an archive and send you a link. Should i prepare something in the vm?

I wonder if any other Arch users (Manjaro and the likes) are experience the same issue or if they use the prebuilt binarys instead the AUR packae.

Well, if it had all the libs and dev tools needed to build art it would be awesome. But really, just a link is fine :slight_smile: thanks again!

Devtools will be there. I think i can prepare everything tomorrow.

1 Like

1.8.4 is out. This is a bugfix only release, to address the freezing reported by @guzzisti and a couple more glitches I discovered in the meantime.

2 Likes

New release, 1.9. Changes:

• New gradient mask, thanks to @Hombre
  • Updated the CR3 decoder to the latest from libraw
  • Added option to periodically auto-save arp sidecars
  • Slightly reworked the UI of the Log Tone Mapping tool
  • A bunch of bug fixes

Thanks to all the people who helped!

16 Likes

Thanks to you @agriggio for continouosly improving ART. :+1: :star_struck:

AUR packages for Arch users are updated.

1 Like

Merci pour le travail

Thank you

Hello @agriggio, why is the range of the Gain slider in the Log Tone Mapping module between -10 Ev to +10 Ev? If I set it at -10, I see a solid black image, +10 gives a solid white image. Using +0.5 results in a clear overexposure (I would say much more than just a half exposure value / stop). Same for -0.5.

I guess I miss something here? When would I use a value of +10 Ev for example?

Hi,
You’re not missing anything I guess, only maybe that the sliders have a bit more latitude than what you would consider normal because you are not the only user… :slight_smile:
Btw going from memory the exposure compensation dial also goes to +12ev, which might also be considered unreasonable :thinking:

How did you determine that? It’s certainly possible that I made a mistake so I’d like to know more about your methodology

Hello Alberto, I did some raw bracketing this morning with -0.5, 0 and +0.5ev and when applying the -0.5 and +0.5 gain to the 0ev image in Art, the results are as expected, that is they are quite close to the original -0.5 and +0.5 photos. So there’s no problem with your algo.

It was with a scanned tiff that I saw this rather big difference between 0, +0.5 and +1.0ev gain. See screenshot. But as Art is not a tiff processor, this might be normal as well.

Regards, Paul.

Hi,

thanks, but without a point of comparison it’s hard to see what might be going on… Here is a way to check if the gain works as expected:

1. develop your image with the neutral profile + exposure compensation

2. develop your image with the neutral profile + gain in log tone mapping

The two images should come out (nearly) identical. If not, there’s a problem…
Example:

Hi, exposure compensation +1 and gain +1 (on a raw file) produce nearly the same result (the gain +1 has a slightly different histogram). So there is no problem with your algo.

On a side note, I find the Log Tone Mapping tool a bit hard to use. Automatic never works for me (washed out image) and using the individual sliders it’s quite difficult to get a decent exposed image, compared to the other exposure tools including Color/Tone Correction.

On the plus side, I was working on an image with difficult light last week and the only tool that gave a good result was LogTM! Perhaps I must spend more time on this tool to see what it does that other tools don’t…

Hi @paulmatth,
I’m more than happy to answer about specific questions and provide examples of usage :slight_smile: If you expect more structured docs, though, unfortunately I’m not really the right person for the job, sorry… so, if you can post a sample image and a description of what you want to achieve, I’ll do my best to help.

Hi @agriggio .

I’m on W10 and since 1.9 I have a serious problem if I open ART, about thumbnails.

• I am in 2 windows configuration, with file browser+queue in a dedicated window.
  • If I open ART, and if it scans a folder that wasn’t scanned before, full of huge pictures (15000x8500) in tiff 32 bits floating point or 16 bits integer,
  • ART freezes, is stuck, then crashes after 30s more or less.
  • Worse, if I right click on my windows desktop, the right-menu goes mad, displaying gibberish, I have to exit my session.
  • The only way to avoid this is to use 1.8.4, wait until it’s done (the program freezes too but comes back to life), close it, then use 1.9.

Also you changed Log Tone Mapping, OK, but now I think that Gain is too strong, I mean we can have 2.5, I’d like 2.57 if possible.
For example in 1.8.4 :

• Target gray point = 18
  • Gain = 12
  • So between 12.0 and 18.0 we have 60 possible values.
    Now in 1.9 for the same result we have :
  • Target gray point = 18
  • Gain = 0.6
  • We just have 5 values possible.
    And sometimes I want to be as precise as 0.53. It would be great if you can add a decimal.