[Capture Challenge] Charge your battery and take some photos

I just noticed an interesting icon next to the percentage values and gave it a try :wink:

2 Likes

From today’s walk

The following sign means
“Cyclists Dismount”
“Keep dogs on a lead”

9 Likes

Catahoula Lake pastels

Golden hour wasn’t too golden today (although sunset delivered – too bad I was already driving at that point!), but there were some pleasant muted colors down low in the west. It made for a decent minimalist image.

A funny sidebar…

As I was getting ready for this shot, I noticed what looked like a critter’s head / jaw of some sort bobbing in the water about a meter or so off the edge. There were little eddies showing around it, so I figured it was possibly a snapping turtle or even alligator just hanging around waiting for . But something didn’t look right and I couldn’t nail down the species of critter. I have to admit I was a little … ahem … “aware” of the possibility of said critter taking an interest in me and suddenly emerging from the water!

Turns out I was totally wrong. It was the fearsome, deadly, DDD: Discarded Duck Decoy! So much for my identification skills in the fading light!

9 Likes

Nice pastel colors in the lake shot…before you got mooned!

2 Likes

Fancy that!

Mooned by a decoy by Len

That could be the title. :joy_cat:

2 Likes

Took a walk with my camera late yesterday to deliberately get out on a day off from work. Hot and somewhat humid, but late afternoon light was good.

10 Likes

18 Likes

Is that a Schlüsselblume?

Was? :smile: Sorry, I have no idea. I like to take pictures of flowers but they are not my thing otherwise.

1 Like

No probs. :smile:
I don’t speak German, but I used to know someone from that part of the world, and their favorite flower was the Schlüsselblume. I believe it’s a kind of Primula.

2 Likes

It looks like Primula vulgaris (primrose), which is one of the Schlüsselblume, but not the Echte Schlüsselblume (Primula veris or cowslip)

1 Like

10 Likes

The Alps illuminated by the setting Sun, as seen from the western side of Zürich. Snapped during our evening walk.

8 Likes

Amazing. Style reminds me of the pencil shading exercise in art class. It is a good fit for the [Capture Challenge] People without people thread and the Showcase category.

Summer long gone.
There were just a few rays of sun in a mostly gloomy day. But it didn’t rain so the walk was welcomed. I took one lens only this time. Not enough to reach the distance. Regardless - this is better than nothing. Besides - I carry what I really like - my camera is on my shoulder. There have been too many times going out without it. Oddly (or not) each time when I leave it home - there is something that draws my eyes. A few times I picked the phone. But it is just not the same. I don’t think it ever will. Some times it is one keeper - that is all. And there are times when there is none. This is a keeper for me. A fractured stamp - a fleeting moment. A memory.

8 Likes

Desperation abstraction

The weather has been really and unexpectedly nice here just recently, like 70F / 20C with blue sky. It was cold by our standards a couple of weeks ago but has warmed up. I’m sure more winter is coming, but while the weather is good I headed out locally with my camera.

And found nothing. :upside_down_face:

So out of desperation I ended up shooting some really weird tree bark. It looks like it’s been eroded, like something from a Utah landscape, I’ve never seen (or at least noticed) anything like it before. And no, I don’t know what kind of tree. Just a tree… :slight_smile:

It has an alien, almost lunar-like quality.

DOF was real fun to try and achieve… (NOT!)

As a negative, it takes on a very lava-like character.

In positive, this one isn’t anywhere near as interesting.

IMG_1108-small

17 Likes

Bark or some insect colony?

It’s apparently the bark. There were several trees like this and they were all the same. Each feature is about a third to half a finger in size, more or less.

Disagree, hard. You found something spectacular.

2 Likes

Thanks! And to clarify, “nothing” referred to what else I didn’t find, not to the tree / bark. That was after I found “nothing” (else). I could’ve been more clear on that.

1 Like