[Capture Challenge] Charge your battery and take some photos

Was? :smile: Sorry, I have no idea. I like to take pictures of flowers but they are not my thing otherwise.

1 Like

No probs. :smile:
I don’t speak German, but I used to know someone from that part of the world, and their favorite flower was the Schlüsselblume. I believe it’s a kind of Primula.

2 Likes

It looks like Primula vulgaris (primrose), which is one of the Schlüsselblume, but not the Echte Schlüsselblume (Primula veris or cowslip)

1 Like

10 Likes

The Alps illuminated by the setting Sun, as seen from the western side of Zürich. Snapped during our evening walk.

8 Likes

Amazing. Style reminds me of the pencil shading exercise in art class. It is a good fit for the [Capture Challenge] People without people thread and the Showcase category.

Summer long gone.
There were just a few rays of sun in a mostly gloomy day. But it didn’t rain so the walk was welcomed. I took one lens only this time. Not enough to reach the distance. Regardless - this is better than nothing. Besides - I carry what I really like - my camera is on my shoulder. There have been too many times going out without it. Oddly (or not) each time when I leave it home - there is something that draws my eyes. A few times I picked the phone. But it is just not the same. I don’t think it ever will. Some times it is one keeper - that is all. And there are times when there is none. This is a keeper for me. A fractured stamp - a fleeting moment. A memory.

8 Likes

Desperation abstraction

The weather has been really and unexpectedly nice here just recently, like 70F / 20C with blue sky. It was cold by our standards a couple of weeks ago but has warmed up. I’m sure more winter is coming, but while the weather is good I headed out locally with my camera.

And found nothing. :upside_down_face:

So out of desperation I ended up shooting some really weird tree bark. It looks like it’s been eroded, like something from a Utah landscape, I’ve never seen (or at least noticed) anything like it before. And no, I don’t know what kind of tree. Just a tree… :slight_smile:

It has an alien, almost lunar-like quality.

DOF was real fun to try and achieve… (NOT!)

As a negative, it takes on a very lava-like character.

In positive, this one isn’t anywhere near as interesting.

IMG_1108-small

17 Likes

Bark or some insect colony?

It’s apparently the bark. There were several trees like this and they were all the same. Each feature is about a third to half a finger in size, more or less.

Disagree, hard. You found something spectacular.

2 Likes

Thanks! And to clarify, “nothing” referred to what else I didn’t find, not to the tree / bark. That was after I found “nothing” (else). I could’ve been more clear on that.

1 Like

thanks
just added two more, same tree

The trees may have a virus that’s causing that.

Len just went viral.

2 Likes

Blue marble

The weather here today is rainy and cloudy. To test my new 70-200 mm lens I took a photo of an old globe (~ 1930?). The map has changed a lot since then.
For once, I uploaded the photo in full resolution so that you can read the writing.

Edit: I did some more research. On the Globe you find Pakistan (from 1947) and Israel (from 1948) and the South African Union (until 1961). This limits the production time between 1948 and 1961. The fact that Germany is just “Deutschld” and not separated in “Bundesrepublik” and “Deutsche Demokratische Repubik” suggests that te globe was produced in 1948 before the two German states were founded.

8 Likes

To / on an alien planet? :slight_smile:

I knew I shoulda took a left in Albuquerque!!

What’s up, doc? :stuck_out_tongue: :rabbit2:

…just as long as I don’t go virus! :slight_smile:

Fortress

The base of a bald cypress tree in Chicot Lake, Louisiana.

ART 1.21.1, Affinity Photo 2 (inpainting to remove lots of tiny floating stuff in the water)

24 Likes