[Capture Challenge] Charge your battery and take some photos

I was lucky today with many opportunities to get good captures :grinning: And to think I almost convinced myself to stay at home… Really need to just “get out there” a lot more.

PS: As suggested by some users(And like it is in the manual) I now apply D&S local contrast first and then the sharpening presets, and the results are incredible.

23 Likes

Love that first one especially!

1 Like

Bad weather, good time to learn photography

11 Likes

Gotta love how this thread has kept on plugging since July…thanks to darix for starting it.

I went to a local market today to shoot some B&W, but when I got there I just wasn’t feeling it and the camera didn’t even come out. On the way home I went past a local beach. Needless to say, after a major cold snap, nobody was swimming!

This isn’t a final edit, but, you know, “no old shots allowed.”

11 Likes

Random view of a random lake in the Nahuel Huapi National Park.

It’s the second consecutive week with temperatures above 25 C, even pushing into the 30s, without rain, which is very hot and dry for this time of the year.

14 Likes

I thought this kind of funny - like a moth to the light!

PS I don’t have anything to do with the company on the van - not advertising!

8 Likes

When you get a nice February day, make the most of it …both me and the turtle!

I love the way the ripples make the reflected pine trees look like paint brush strokes. This is a fairly significant crop of a 24 mp image:

I have neither the glass nor sensor to work this far out, so it’s kind of marginal.

8 Likes

such a nice take, I like the crop. for me the quality is fine :blush:

1 Like

ELK!!!
:grinning:
This guy didn’t mind me at all. He was happily chewing something staring at the passers by.

8 Likes

Fun and funny: definitely matches your description. :smile: I believe you could change the mood and story of the photo depending on how you edit the photo. E.g.:

• Suspenseful/noir
  • Different decals
  • Different time of day
1 Like

Thanks, and good idea! Later, I could post it as a play raw … see what people come up with :grinning:

1 Like

We had yet again unexpectedly nice weather today – 20C, sunshine and no wind to speak of. But the rain is coming, for a day or two. So I headed out to shoot <something>. I found this little pond with a bit of mid / late afternoon light working. The light is about all there is, since the compo isn’t earth-shattering.

Just to make life difficult for myself :smiley: and because the dynamic range was very high, I did this as a (hopefully) de-fanged HDR in Affinity Photo from six images bracketed 2/3 stop between. As little as I know of regular processing, I know even less about HDR – Unbelievable but true. I’ve rarely been a fan of it and in this case it might better stand for “Half Done Results”… LOL

At any rate I tried to tone down the glow-in-the-dark aspect a bit but I was guessing at what to do. I had to tame a few artifacts, particularly some electric green glowing highlights …a 50% opacity small clone brush in darken blend mode can work wonders.

Anyway, six shots processed in ART 1.18.1 and Affinity Photo.

Thanks.

17 Likes

So, I went out yesterday to take some pictures, but weather was foggy (again). This picture of my home town Greußen came out interesting anyways…

14 Likes

during a walk in the woods today, we found some fungal growths on a dead tree trunk.

11 Likes

16 Likes

I still have a little fever and a running nose, but today I couldn’t avoid going out on the terrace to water the sage. And while I was out there, in the cold, I shot a quick photo of my bitter orange tree from above. By now the oranges are almost ready to make the marmalade.

11 Likes

An empty area with really no subjects, but the tiny jogger gives it a sense of scale :

19 Likes

Recent pic from Bristol area UK -

8 Likes

Moooo!

18 Likes

The sharpening or denoise* used and the lack of definition on the close range** part of the image is a little bit unsettling for me but I take the time to comment because I like the exposition and the colour rendering. Did you use colour balance’s channel mixer or colour zone ? (or maybe a LUT)

• for example clouds at the right side of the ear of the cow
    ** Grass at the bottom of the image is quite “mushy” 7.1 aperture seems appropriately small though.

From the metadata I read that you shot @ 1/800 200Iso F7.1 maybe given the m4/3 sensor a 100ISO 1/200 F10 would have mitigated some of the imperfections, I don’t know the diffraction performance of your lens thou.

Overhaul without pixel peeping the picture is quite appealing :smiley:

1 Like