[Capture Challenge] Charge your battery and take some photos

@elstoc So what? It can still be
an interesting shot :grinning: Film noir…

3 Likes

I guess I should contribute something as well:

10 Likes

This is nice. Has a Mondrian vibe.

@lphilpt : Thanks!

This one was shot immediately after the first one (_image.01) from the series posted earlier. I turned around after making that shot and was confronted with this.

Personally I like the first one a bit better. The layering, light-fall and the way the planes interact is more pleasing in my opinion.

1 Like

I agree, it’s more interesting and engaging. But this one immediately evoked Mondrian for me. :slight_smile: And I do like the “spot color” of the sky against the various grey tones.

I do like the “spot color” of the sky against the various grey tones.

And it gives an indication of the expected orientation when hanging for display.

1 Like

That’s a really interesting observation. I think when “we” get a camera in our hands we’re totally tied up with “all the technically correct requirements of a good photo”, so we make sure the exposure is correct, the composition is meaningful, ISO, shutter speed, aperture, stance etc etc etc… only to hand your very expensive camera to your kid and be horrified at their casual and playful “just shoot” and do what ever.

Some of the best photos of a graduation day for one of the kids were the ones that her sibling took when they had my camera. Mine… well, technically they were “correct”. Fun? Nope.

3 Likes

@Ofnuts

Read about this on one of the Dutch news sites about 2 weeks ago.

I find the reason why they, the museum, are not going to fix their mistake interesting: Gravity might loosen the tape even further if turned 180 degrees. I’m curious if this can’t be restored/fixed in an acceptable manner.

The it’s now part of the story reason is utter bull in my opinion, though.

15 Likes

If gravity is a problem, they can display it flat with a 45° mirror.

Haha, having worked with quite a few models of art galleries (for designing the building or a show), I remember an occasion where we, in the very last moment before a client meeting, noticed we hung a Mark Rothko painting upside down. Had to very quickly and discreetly flip it. Same thing had to be done in Photoshop (sorry Gimp) for a photograph of another model.

I like it. The hand smudge is interesting… my first thought (sorry!) was 'mmm… pity the window wasn’t clean… but then I looked again, and it’s a real element of the photo. Sorry I’m not expressing this better but I found it interesting how the picture almost changed while I looked :smile:

The funny thing is that I only saw the hand smudge in post-processing :slight_smile:

Just goes to show… I can’t think what the photo was of now… but I’ve done exactly the same thing - got something in the photo that I didn’t know was there when I took it but it makes all the difference to the photo :face_with_peeking_eye::+1:

Last night running late on my way home…

Can you work out what’s happening here? :wink:
The processing isn’t quite right - I might revisit it later. Never mind!

14 Likes

Long exposure? Vehicle arriving?

1 Like

Last rose of the year?

27mm lens @ f/2,8

8 Likes

Hi Claes, you’re half right… :grinning: any more guesses anyone?

Definitely long exposure, given the star trails. Motorcycle, bicycle comes up, turns around and leaves? Beautiful location, by the way.

1 Like

Thanks Len :grinning: Yes it’s a nice spot. I usually seem to pass here in full daylight which leaves things looking a bit flat… this is better - I think!

Both you and Claes are correct as to the long exposure (30seconds) but neither of you are entirely correct as to the lights on the road. Both quite close though :blush: