[Capture Challenge] People without people

@dqpcoxeas

You love strong contrast, and for this picture it is fully warranted. Awesome!

2 Likes

Took this today with my Pentax K10d. It’s a 3-row pano with a 50mm lens, developed in darktable, exported as high quality jpegs, then stitched in xpano which did a perfect job, unlike my other option, the venerable Microsoft (shh!) Image Composite Editor which left a nasty join over the roof. Thanks, @krupkat! :slight_smile:

I then brought the exported file back into dt for some final tweaks.

7 Likes

8 Likes

5 Likes

7 Likes

We’ve all felt like that at one time or another…

3 Likes

10 Likes

3 Likes

2 Likes

This a double impact image:
the impact of industry to the climate and the impact of weather to man (raindrops on my lens…)

1 Like

1 Like

I find country roads rather fascinating from a photographic perspective. Not sure why. But this fits the brief I think. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

And… another country road. Not that far from my home. :slight_smile:

Y’know, irrelevant thought - it occured to me that James Popsys’ ‘Human Nature’ theme is almost a direct fit for this capture challenge. In many cases anyway, at least the way he does it.

9 Likes

His natural surrounding is a best fit for cold greens though. His edit style is quite distinct, recognizable. I’d be curious to try to emulate as a self challenge.

1 Like

I agree. (In case I wasn’t clear I wasn’t suggesting that my shots are similar to his - just the people without people thing.)

It would be interesting to match his editing style - he ran through it briefly a little while ago. I can’t remember just which video…

I think it was largely down to tweaking the HSL-type sliders in Lr, quite heavily in some cases - but of course he’s got quite a few variations too.
He’s certainly nailed having a recognizable style - although of course that’s just as much or more down to his actual images too.

He’s also evolved a lot since his early videos. As do we all! (or I do anyway… sometimes better sometimes worse!)

1 Like

Someone has clearly been doing some kitchen experiments…

Aaaand it was me, trying out something most basic from The Witcher Official Cookbook

2 Likes

I reckon these all fit the heading. I can’t decide which of the last three should be the keeper (it’s probably the one where I rewind time and find a better composition) but any suggestions are welcome.

13 Likes

Looking at these on here, I think maybe the first of the three church shots is the nearest to a keeper, even with the empty sky, which is the main problem with the compositions. Maybe try b&w

1 Like

Wow, congrats, nice shots, the frost on the stones works wonders !
I thinks out of the 3 churches picts I like the 1st the most with lot of sky.

1 Like

I actually like the third one the best, it seems to have the most thoughtful inclusion of the church.