darktable 3.6: Summer Release 2021

Cudos to all the contributors for such a massive and successful release!

1 Like

Hi
Great work, kudos to all concerned - especially loving the grips on drawn masks.

Bit of an issue though - photos wont export to file. See enclosed snip. Any ideas?

Windows 10 Home
version 21H1
os build 19043.1052

The issue is explained I had a version dated 03-07-2021r.
On 05-07-2021r a new version darktable-3.6.0.1-win64.exe was released - problem solved

Could possibly be antivirus? It prevented export from other new pieces of software I have used too. If you happen to use Avast, then you can add the darktable program folder as an exception under settings. It might be something else thoughā€¦

@jimd
Also try removing the space in the path or add an underscore sometimes this can be an issueā€¦

Thanks guys
3.6.0.1 works like a charm

A few minutes ago I noticed that the Windows version is now 3.6.0.1 and the Mac version is 3.6.0.3:

https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/releases/tag/release-3.6.0

Where is the info on what changed? Thank you.

On windows 3.6.0 had a packaging error, 3.6.0.1 just corrected the package to what it was supposed to be.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Should I go ahead and replace my 3.6.0 with the new 3.6.0.1? Your description doesnā€™t make that clear. Thank you.

Yes, lua isnā€™t enabled in 3.6.0 and 3dluts may not work. 3.6.0.1 fixes both of those

Thank you! I just installed 3.6.0.1.

on my Windows 21H1 (Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042)

3.4.1.1 - runs pretty well
3.6 - also runs ok. Had one crash when I was trying to edit a different image, in the darkroom, but Iā€™m not too surprised, cos its a .zero release, and minor issues like this are within tolerance. Could not replicate the issue, so do not know what the cause was. But 99.9% of the time Iā€™ve used it, canā€™t recall any other issues of note.

EDIT. Just realised there is a 3.6.0.1, which Iā€™ll upgrade to.

Many many thanks to the developers!!! You always put a smile in my face with every new release!!!

2 Likes

First, a huge thank you to all and anyone who made contributions to this wonderful software. Second, it looks like the devā€™s are already cleaning up some minor issues with the quick access panel but so fantastic otherwise!

1 Like

First of all, I must thank all of the developers that worked on this latest release, I am truly impressed and happy with the new features available; that the fact that my RAW images from Nikon Z6II can now be read and processed with darktable. Thank you darktable team! :ok_hand: :ok_hand:

I have successfully installed the latest release on my Fedora34 laptop.

(NOT SURE THIS IS THE CORECT FORUM for the following) I am however issue installing darktable 3.6 on a networked Windows10 Pro - due to new network security policies, Microsoft Defender Smartscreen prevented ā€œan unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at riskā€ I suspect that the fact that the ā€œPUBLISHERā€ is unknown, the server blocks the installation. Our IT security is not prepared to change this latest policy despite my employer being OK with me using dt after hours.

Has anyone run into this issue or can a fix be issued? Just asking.

MANY thanks to those that made this happen. I have been playing with the development version for a couple of weeks, and this update is a game changer, but from what you can do, what you can do ā€œsafelyā€ (that is, predictable), and, most importantly, a big shift in the background aesthetic philosophy implied by the DEVs.

Like 3.0, this update represents a big step away from many commercial programs, offering a unique tool for us.

There are other programs that offer power over our own developmental processā€¦ the attention and changes to do things in a predicable way is most appreciated.

Thank you for the gift, and happy developing to all.

We are really short on Windows developers and testers, so if you can actually figure put what is causing this, Iā€™m sure we can fix it, but Iā€™m not sure who else is running in an environment like thisā€¦

I assume that the problem is related to the fact that the installer is not digitally signed with a complete and verified certificate. Defender classifies this as unsecure and thus the installation is blocked as far as I read the information.
A solution would be to sign the installer and depending on the policy of @Denis_Thibeault company IT perhaps also the included. exe and .dll files. But this might not be necessaryā€¦ Anyone here who knows how to implement something like that in the build system?

Yep , my IT guys investigated and allowed me to run itā€¦

Lars, that appears to be exactly the problem here - not a verified certificate! IT policies have been tied down severely in the last few months where I work due to previous major meltdown in one department.