darktable 3.8.0 released

thank you ! For new people like me, we have not read all the threads written for years, so it is normal some questions resurface from time to time. Keep up the good work !

But it’s easy to understand a certain frustration when the question is answered in the official documentation
e.g. for deprecated modules: https://docs.darktable.org/usermanual/3.8/en/darkroom/processing-modules/deprecated/.
Note that this is the first page that shows up when looking for “depreca” in the current html manual.

3 Likes

Sounds like a bug on 3.8 …

Yes, you made this comment in an tag-related issue, but as far as I can see the behavior wasn’t changed by that fix, no?

I’ll fill a bug report today.

Done: https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/issues/10696

Are there plans for getting cr3 support via repo? flatpak runs on my machine only without OpenCL support ( AMD GPU) or do I really have to build all myself?

the OBS repositories have CR3 support. just if the libexiv2 of your system is recent enough to support it is another question.

As a fun side note: even debian sid is still at 0.27.3. Fedora builds without ISOBMFF format enabled.

so all builds besides ubuntu should now use a newer exiv2 library. if you use the exiv library from the darktable OBS repository. the debian build for the source works. the ubuntu build fails with something i have no clue about. in case someone can help.

happy testing

1 Like

Someone needs to post a boostable 3.8.0 toot to darktable (@darktable@mastodon.social) - Mastodon :slightly_smiling_face:

@mikae1 darktable: "#darktable 3.8 is published ! Merry Christmas ! h…" - Mastodon

1 Like

Oh, stupid me. Missed because of the pinned toots…

Unfortunately, this seems not to be true. I have exiv2 installed in Version 0.27.5 with BMFF enabled.Build on my own. exiv2 pr give me:

exiv2 pr /media/Bilder/test/cr3/IMG_4615.CR3
File name : /media/Bilder/test/cr3/IMG_4615.CR3
File size : 37266997 Bytes
MIME type : image/x-canon-cr3
Image size : 6960 x 4640
Thumbnail : None
Camera make : Canon
Camera model : Canon EOS 90D
Image timestamp : 2021:10:14 14:36:03
File number :
Exposure time : 1/25 s
Aperture : F2.8
Exposure bias : 0 EV
Flash : No flash
Flash bias : 0 EV
Focal length : 19.0 mm
Subject distance: 0 m
ISO speed : 500
Exposure mode : Manual
Metering mode : Spot
Macro mode : Off
Image quality : RAW
White balance : Auto
Copyright :
Exif comment :

So I don’t think exiv2 is my problem. darktable was installed via the OBS repo. But darktable isn’t able to handle CR3s.
@paperdigits wrote, that you have to build darktable as well on yourself and you can’t use the ppa Version, because CR3 support isn’t build against local exiv2.
Problem is, that building process aborts on my side. So I wanted to know if it is worth, to just wait until CR3 support is fully supported via ppa or if I have to investigate why the build process aborts.

Great release thanks for all the hard work! I like the changes to the white point control in filmic, it seems more logical to use now.
Will take a bit of time to get my head around the new diffuse module and my laptop might not be up to it, but time will tell…
Peaceful holidays folks!

1 Like

+1

1 Like

if you had read the message … it is fixed for all distros but ubuntu.

Thanks to all involved with darktable, development, documentation etc, etc, and all those who use it and have in one way or another contributed towards where it is today, and this includes the chaps who publish youtube channels, discussing dt.

I’m on dt 3.6.X, and it has enabled me with very little effort, or rather with extremely purposeful actions, with very few steps, achieve excellent results from my raw photos, which allow me to develop these raw images, to reflect my personal perspective of the images I have taken, and not have to resort to whatever digital automated art decisions that have been taken on my behalf - by out-of-camera algorithms.

Above all, as long as I set a close enough white balance, all I have to do when taking images with my camera, is deal with composition and getting as much dynamic range of my preferred focus in the image, and ensure the lens is properly focussed on the prime subject(I use vintage manual lenses - exclusively), and capture this in the raw capture, and I have an excellent possibility that darktable will, at my direction, translate that raw image into a result that reflects what I wish to convey.

version 3.6 is already so good, that I am in no hurry to upgrade to 3.8, but will upgrade, God enabling, sometime over the next few weeks.

Especially over the most recent 18 months since I started using darktable in version 2.x and then 3.0, dt has been really improved and improved, and is so much easier to use.

I think it helps for darktable users to be clear on its strengths, and focus, so that they do not begin to compare it with tools such as Photoshop which are aimed at a somewhat different user, who needs something different, with more extensive editing tools.

1 Like

Curiously, installing Fedora 35 KDE as a virtual machine, on virtual box, then installing darktable 3.8.0 (from the OBS build page), then the LUA scripts work.

So I’m thinking this is an issue with the version of LUA which is installed on Mint 20.2 (based on Ubuntu 20.04), compared with other more up to date distros…

On my Mint install, Lua is 5.3.3, while on the Fedora 35 virtual machine, Lua is 5.4.3

the lua issues on ubuntu should be fixed as well.

1 Like

I’ve redownloaded the Ubuntu 20.04 based build from the OBS site, and the LUA scripts are now working!

Great release. I’m really happy with the page payout update to the print module. Been hoping for this for a long time.

Dear devs and contributers,
thank you so much for this wonderful christmas present :slight_smile:
While I have no doubt that there are quite some incredible feature and performance upgrades, the new shortcut system/MIDI support is outstanding to me - I am fumbling around with the nanoKontrol 2 and it simply works and makes editing a tactile experience, which I appreciate a lot.
Amazing, already looking forward to what comes next. Cheers!

1 Like