Editing moments with darktable

In fact, the D850 has very good dynamic range and you can take underexposed shots without a lot of noise during exposure compensation. The camera also has a highlight weighted metering mode, which I like to use for subjects with a wide dynamic range.

When taking pictures without that mode, I control everything manually (exposure, aperture and ISO values) and make sure that I always set an exposure value below the measured one to make sure that highlights are not overexposed.

1 Like

As a D750 owner I use that metering mode myself. If at all possible using Live view (with Exposure preview + Histogram active) and aperture mode. Very nice combo for slow and still shots.

I do believe that the D850 is a bit better in preserving the blacks when shooting underexposed, though.

Thanks for your reply, it’s always nice to read that one is on the correct path

1 Like

Boris,

really very impressive edits and stunning how much you can lift the shadows from your D850 Raws without noise taking over. Really nice.
I realized your “Clarity” presets for local contrast, that you used in here. Would you mind telling a bit more about those presets and share them?

Great work and very good source of education as always looking at your edits 

Cheers, Martin

Hi Martin,

Here is an article about it:

1 Like

brilliant , thx.
I knew there was something somewhere :grin:

New episode: create your own DR compression style :building_construction:

This episode is inspired by the contribution of @anon41087856:

11 Likes

That style gives you a nice base-line to start your edits from.

I cannot find a reason why you did not include a base-line version of the color balance module in your drc style. I would include it, probably toned down a bit (compared to the one you used in the first edit), something like:

fulcrum: 7.5%
contrast: 15%
power factor: 15%
slope factor: 30%

This isn’t meant to be a apply-and-forget style (right?). As shown by you the exposure needs adjusting and additional modules might be required after this one is applied. You do however apply the color balance module to all of your example edits
 Just curious why you did not include a cb base-line to begin with.

One thing that I would not include would be the chromatic aberrations module. In my case it does more harm then good (most of the time). Depends on the hardware that’s being used.

Anyway, I’ll stop rambling: Thanks for another nice video!

This is because the photos have different dynamic range and different initial contrast. With some of them, hardly any rework is necessary, with others, more. And also the motive plays a big role. Color balance serves for me to deal with these individual qualities. Even if I had integrated it, I would still have to make the readjustment.

Exactly. This may work well if you have a series of pictures that were taken under similar conditions, but I won’t recommend it otherwise, because you don’t always take pictures under controlled conditions (places, light, situations) to be sure that the results are predictable.

This is unfortunately necessary because the “RGB power norm” function in the “preserve chrominance” option in the filmic enhances chromatic aberration when local contrast is increased. and yes, this always depends on the lens. For me it works well in most cases.

I just watched Bruce Williams’ latest about the lens correction module when I realized something: I auto apply the lens correction and that would include a chromatic aberration correction. You do not seem to apply this module.

Me applying chromatic aberration on top of the lens correction might explain why I have bad results. Need to experiment with that to make sure though.

Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

Exactly

Although the lens correction exists for the lens I used for the photos in the video, it is very badly made and I am not satisfied with the result. That’s why I decided not to use the correction.

1 Like

Another great video Boris.

You have another fan of your work in the house too! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Nice! :+1: :rofl:

It was one of the few moments when this little moving thing, jumping back and forth, was finally calmer and it seemed he could be caught. :smirk_cat:

1 Like

New episode: Portrait retouch :woman::

4 Likes

I have spent some time lately watching your excellent and interesting videos and learned a lot.
One question: I seems to me that all your photos are rather dark before you start editing. Are you deliberately underexposing?

Yes, almost always 1 EV less than measured value. I hate overexposed photos. Unless, of course, it’s for artistic expression.

1 Like

I assume also you have a camera equipment that is providing a nice noise behavior

So you have the actual headroom to start with underexposure to gain as much dynamic range as possible.
Last week I was doing some shoots in Frankfurt a.M. and also tried to ensure that clouds do NOT overexpose, so had quite dark starting material. I then used a workflow based on your recent DR compression style that really did provide some nice looking images.
But with my EOS 7D I also had quite some noise to kill during the edits 

Samples see: Frankfurt am Main - 4. Juni 2020 - Familie Anstett

1 Like

WOW! Cool collection!

Yeah, sometimes you just have to make an bracket series. But I find noise a lot more pleasant than textureless, burnt highlights, where you can hardly do anything about it.

Good evening, Boris. Thanks again for your work and for offering us your videos.
I created the style as you showed us by adapting filmic to my photos, added contrast equalizer. When I apply the style, the image becomes very dark, I have to mount the exposure a lot. By doing this, it becomes very difficult to adjust rvb curve because the information, (pixels) are overwritten. I enclose a screenshot of the module, look at the pixels are packed down
 This happens as soon as I bring up the exposure. Do you have any idea what the problem is?Annotation 2020-06-07 200312

Hi @AlainC,

This is hard to say without more information. Can you please show more. For example your tab with active modules and your History list?:

Module

History

Bonjour Boris,
Voici les modules activĂ©s et l’historique.
Le problĂšme survient dĂšs que j’augmente l’exposition. environ +1EV sur chaque photo. Le problĂšme impacte aussi table de correspondance couleur, les couleurs sĂ©lectionnĂ©es avec la pipette sont plus claires que sur mon Ă©cran. Par exemple le bleu du ciel apparait couleur cyan quand je l’integre Ă  une pastille. Si je ne touche pas Ă  l’exposition, tout va bien. J’ai essayĂ© exposition avec le mode de fusion “moyenne” et “couleur TSL”, c’est mieux mais Ă  l’écran c’est pas completement satisfaisant.
Merci
Annotation 2020-06-08 070712
Annotation 2020-06-08 070712-1