Editing moments with darktable

Its a good analysis…honestly I used the CB global sliders most often for contrast which I usually applied first so I think I was under the impression when I used it for global saturation it was a saturation effect…

It does appear the old one was more of a chroma…although I wonder if the algorithm is slightly different as the global chroma slider in the new module seems even better ever so slightly to my eye as you move the slider…It may be I see what I want to see in that regard…

New episode: Capitalism is the virus ☭ :

13 Likes

Very good Boris. I understand that you have used lots of modules as an example of what can be done.
There are some modules (like bloom…) and blending modes that I’ve never used them…
I have enough material to study.
Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Thanks for an excellent video once again, lots of interesting ideas!

1 Like

I appreciate your demonstration of what can be done and how to do it. Valeu! (Hope that’s right.) :thinking:

1 Like

Yes, the greatest potential that darktable offers is almost infinite possibilities of expression and ways with which you can discover unique interpretations of the photo. It is rare to have a tool that offers such variety.

I think it’s a pity that people get scared immediately when the tool doesn’t indicate the straightforward processing they are used to.

2 Likes

Thanks! My approach is having that straight forward edition clear and deviate in some steps :wink:

I think that more discussion on what you can do with darktable as opposed to how to use it would help with that. Your videos in particular and the play raws go a long way

1 Like

Yes, if you know, what you want to achieve. :wink:

Hey Boris, I really appreciate your videos they give a lot of inspiration for my own editing. Thanks!
However, I have a few questions regarding your workflow and the modules used. I am trying to be alert to what I understand would be a “good, scene-referred workflow”. Now I notice that you shift most of your modules after filmic and also use a couple of modules that the manual suggests avoiding (bloom, lowpass). Don’t you lose a lot of the advantages the scene-referred workflow promises? I understand that everything after filmic is display-referred and therefore would ideally need to be re-done separately for each display (e.g. HDR-display, web, print) and at the same time increases the danger of artifacts.
Is it a conscious decision on your side to optimize rather early for your preferred display or is there something I do not fully grasp yet? If you wanted to print one of your pictures, would you re-tune most of the modules after filmic?
My current philosophy is to focus on mastering the “recommended” modules of the scene-referred workflow and not move anything in the pixel-pipe (which the manual also highly disadvises).

moving “display refered” modules after filmic makes sure that the input modules get do fit within the bounds the modules expect (non-hdr)

do keep in mind - rules and recommendations are usually for your safety. If you know what you’re doing and understand risks/benefits etc then there’s nothing stopping you. That’s why while display modules and moving modules in different places is not recommended - it’s not forbidden!

1 Like

Hi @MeisterKaos and welcome to the forum!

This is very important and worth taking time to understand it. Darktable is indeed making a breakthrough in image processing here. That being said…

@johnny-bit has given a nice answer to that. I will add that you are not completely defenseless if you decide to experiment with modules.

• You can see on the screen what happens
  • You have histogram and the indicators in the image for controlling the gamut.
  • You have soft-proofing option
  • You have option for colors and brightness assessment according to ISO 12646:2008 recommended viewing conditions.

Also, try to work with very good color-calibrated monitor.

With these controls, you have an excellent starting point for experimentation. And I’ll even say - after you’ve familiarized yourself with recommended approaches for a while - try doing what the manual doesn’t recommend to see what kind of artifacts you create when you don’t follow the rules. This way you learn the functionality and limitations of the modules through practical use.

My philosophy is to process the photo directly for each medium. I do not prepare them first. The reason is relatively simple - you always start with the raw file, because you have the largest amount of data at your disposal, which you can adapt to the appropriate medium during processing.
That is, if necessary, I start from scratch.

That is also very reasonable.

However, - and @johnny-bit has also pointed this out - the developers of darktable are aware of the fact that, although some modules and also approaches (such as moving the modules) can break the processing, they are sometimes of great use if you know what you are doing.

They also know that it would be wrong to reduce photography only to a technically “correct” aspects, which could very much limit the creative process.

EDIT:
However, when problems arise in creative use, it must be clear that the rules have been disregarded and that the tool cannot be held responsible.

That is why my videos are not tutorials, but rather demonstrations of what can be achieved with the darktable.

6 Likes

New episode: kodachrome with color balance rgb :camera: :film_strip: :

Please note, this is not a tutorial!

kodachrome style from the video:
Kodachrome.dtstyle (3,3 KB)

24 Likes

Fantastic work man. You really reveal the simplicity embedded in the complexity of DT…IMO

3 Likes

Via a non pixls route of discovery, on Youtube, I ran into a recent video you posted, with the Kodachrome style you created. Will be spending my available time, trawling through your videos.

Very effective ,very effective - excellent tutorial style(even though you state it is NOT a tutorial), and of course the artistry underpinning the changes you made, demonstrate a highly developed “vision” for images.

My immediate thoughts after watching the video were. OMG, the whole world of photographers, will soon be using darktable, if they saw your video.

Demonstrates what darktable is really capable of, by those who know enough about it, and are also clear about the direction in which they wish to “push” their images.

Awesome ideas…!

4 Likes

@s7habo,

I was following this example where you used a 2nd instance of exposure module, placed after filmic-rgb, and then applied muliply reverse blending mode.

Just checked in the 3 versions of dt, on my current computer, which are 3.4.11, 3.5 dev (version I built from sources), and the official Windows version 3.6 - released today.

None of my dt versions, has the multiply reverse mode as an explicit option in the list of blend modes.

However, it appears that there is now a “reverse” button for blend mode, to switch between “multiply” and “multiply reverse”, as the “multiply reverse” is no longer an explicit option in the blend mode options.

More info here—

In my images, when I try to follow your example, there does not seem to be a difference between using “multiply” and reversing it in 3.6, with the reverse icon.

In your example in this video, would the result have been the same if you had used “multiply” instead of “multiply reverse”?

Where is the better place to follow up with our questions - here on pixls - or via Youtube?

Where’s the download? The INSTALL page still downloads 3.4.

Bottom of the page

Or here for all the main Linux distro packages: openSUSE Build Service

1 Like

:+1:

I need to get rid of those links… too many links pointing to the same thing!

3 Likes