Exposure module challange (The fog and the ???)

Hello,

in the filmic FAQ thread the argument was that filmic has two many sliders and there should be just one. Here is a challenge for that!

2019-08-25__7M36616_01.ARW.xmp (31.3 KB)

Allowed is:

• the exposure module + the exposure slider
  • multiple exposure modules
  • blending modes
  • masks

history_stack

The RAW file can be found here:

Show me what you can achieve!

To learn more about blend modes, watch:

4 Likes

Andreas, can you please clarify the bounds of your challenge:

1. Is filmic to be used with one slider only - “dynamic range scaling” maybe - or not at all?
  2. Do you want to direct us to use “none” as the defaults in preferences?

Only exposure module means no filmic or any other module!

I’ve updated the post with a screenshot of my history stack.

OK, thanks …

2019-08-25__7M36616.ARW.xmp (9.4 KB)

1 Like

Nice challenge!

the.fog.and.the.arw.xmp (15.2 KB)

I did chose not to lighten the total image too much. Both from a lightness point of view as well as keeping the noise down. I really like @asn’s edit, but I do think it is too light (my taste/2c…). Going to have a look at his xmp now.

This is one I’m going to be playing with for a while. I think that the horse can be somewhat improved (both mask and white/lightness).

2 Likes

Interesting challenge. No mention was made of white balance or demosaic, so I took the white balance hint from the origin posting and used amaze with full & local average. BTW, I couldn’t figure out a way to make it monochrome using the exposure slider and blend modes. :disappointed:

2019-08-25__7M36616.ARW.xmp (12.1 KB)

1 Like

You can do a lot with blend modes:

3 Likes

Three exposure modules, no drawn mask.

2019-08-25__7M36616.ARW.xmp (7.1 KB)

4 Likes

@sls141:

the.fog.and.the_bw.arw.xmp (18.5 KB)

:nerd_face:

4 Likes

@Jade_NL I would never have figured that one out. Its always nice to learn yet another way to go to monochrome. However the challenge as I read it, was to only move the “exposure slider.”

@asn Am I correct that the “black level correction” slider was off limits?

I interpreted it as using the exposure module,not limited to just the exposure slider.

the exposure module + the exposure slider

Is phrased a bit weird though.

Anyway: If only the exposure slider slider can be used I did not play by the rules (both times).

BTW: Changing black level to 0 and cranking up exposure really high (10 or so) also works to get a B&W rendition.

Me neither :frowning: . Here my version with only using the exposure slider and parametric masks.

2019-08-25__7M36616_01.ARW.xmp (9.1 KB)

4 Likes

Thanks for the interesting Challenge !
Here is my try:

2019-08-25__7M36616_03.ARW.xmp (43.6 KB)

4 Likes

I edited it on my notebook which doesn’t have a calibrated screen and the brightness was low. I recognized it after you mentioned it. It could be a little bit darker but not much. The idea of the challage is that you learn how to use masks and blend modes :wink:

Hi,

interesting, but how does this work with the new recommended scene-referred workflow? AFAIK many of the blending modes are display referred. Or perhaps you avoided those in your edit? Thanks!

Power of exposure! :grinning:

2019-08-25__7M36616_01.ARW.xmp (14,1 KB)

7 Likes

Well, it depends. For dodging and burning you would use the exposure module in mulitply mode :slight_smile:

Multiply assumes that 1.0 is white though… But I may be wrong.
(I have no problem with this btw, I was just curious to know how this plays with the scene-referred/no hardcoded assumptions way of doing things)
Thanks for the reply!

It depends on the blend modes in question and their implementation. I feel that it isn’t a one size fits all; i.e. it depends on the input image (HDR or not? etc.) and what you are trying to do with it. Trouble is with the GUI (display-referred) interface.