Filmulator "Nightly" Builds: Now for Windows and Linux

I have downloaded and used the most recent Appimage version (Filmulator-7c5ddfc-x86_64) this afternoon. I had some problems importing and more annoyingly, saving the images (saving was not possible). I had tried the “forget” function but it did not work. The calendar in the organizer section was also behaving strangely (more on this later). I was about to report the problems here but during my last try, I could import a file and process it easily. Saving the image was no problem in either format! Whatever the hiccup was, it had gone.

Now, I was playing with an earlier Filmulator Appimage and trying to change the settings this morning “with the same problems”!!! So I guess the problem might have something to do with Filmulator’s thumbnail DB (?) which I believe is shared by the Appimage files. Hence, the forget function (which worked finally) made Filmulator operate nicely again).

However, a strange thing still happens (always, repeatedly, consistently) when I click on the calendar at the Organize part. Filmulator ALWAYS selects the next day of the month when I click on a date. If I click on 9, 10 is selected; if I click on 28, 29th is selected and so on. I wonder if this is happening only on my system. Could that be so?

Regarding the database: all installs should use the same database, however you shouldn’t use older versions of the AppImage with databases touched by the newer AppImage. The latest AppImage should save a duplicate of the database prior to changing the schema, however.

I had a similar problem on my system prior to the 2019-10-07 version, but I have zero problems at the moment.

Could you elaborate on this?

If I click on 9, 10 is selected

If you click on 9 in the calendar, which day becomes highlighted in the calendar? Which day becomes highlighted in the Date Histogram (you can find this from the tooltip you get if you hover over a day)

If you click on 9 in the Date Histogram, what day is highlighted in the calendar? In the Date Histogram?

Does the number of photos you can see match the number in the date histogram tooltip?

If you restart the application, is the same day still selected?

Click 9 (on the calendar) —> 10 is highlighted on the calendar / 9 (correct) is seen on the histogram.

Click 9 (on the histogram) —> 10 is highlighted on the calendar

YES

!!! Both (Calendar and Histogram) move 1 day forward!

The only thing I can think of to fix the behavior causes them to move backwards by one day on restarting for me (while all the other behavior I asked you about continues to work perfectly fine for me both before and now).

Time to do more experimentation.

What are your time zones set to in both Import and Organize? There should be three separate ones.

It should have been UTC +3
However, I did not set it yet (anywhere) because I did not realize it might be relevant for my present work.
(Now I tried setting them all and they remained as I defined them after restart. No problem).

Regarding the thumbnail DB issue, I may well have tried the recent version improperly.

Thank you for responses, by the way… :slight_smile:

Now with icons! (see the quarantine dev log)

I ditched the deletion feature because I couldn’t decide on the right way to implement it.

2 Likes

I got the Windows build working again, so here’s a glimpse into the lens correction feature implementation as it stands now.

When you load the program, go to the Settings tab and in the second column, press the Update button to download the Lensfun database for Filmulator. Then restart the program (this may change in the future) and try searching for lenses in the Filmulate tab to see what there is.

It doesn’t actually do anything to the photos yet, but the UI is coming together.

EDIT: the Windows build is missing some DLLs. Hold on for a few minutes for a new build.

1 Like

The Windows build should be working now.

1 Like

Actually, it wasn’t for my sister… here’s another attempt…

At the request of my friend I plumbed the Auto CA Correct to enable multiple iterations.

2 Likes

2020-04-30:

You can now try out Filmulator with lens corrections for distortion, CA (most helpful on Fuji X-Trans), and vignetting!

Start the application, go to the Settings tab, update the database, and restart the program.

When using a lens that needs correction, begin editing an image from that lens, select the lens corrections (including Auto Ca Correct and the three profiled corrections) you want applied, make sure the selected lens model in the search box at the top matches the lens you actually used, and click “Remember preferred lens” at the bottom of the lens search box. All future photos shot with that camera and lens combination will default to using those corrections. If you change your mind, you can either clear that preference using “Forget preferred lens” or you can change it and overwrite the preferences by using “Remember preferred lens” again.

1 Like

I got the Windows build working again, finally.

2 Likes

I’ve replaced the heartbeat warning flashing with error icons, because in Windows they were taking too much idle CPU power. I’m not sure if this’ll deal with the reported Mac CPU idle usage, though, because it occurred regardless of whether the heartbeat was visible or not.

1 Like

An old coding pattern I made years ago turned into a performance regression that somehow became more noticeable just recently. I’m not sure why, I don’t think it had to do with different Qt versions.

Anyway, I fixed it.

3 Likes

FYI - Post major Windows update this Tuesday, new windows build processes RX100 raw correctly. However, Android DNG files that process before now are monochrome with moire.

Can you post an example? I will have to check the various different properties to figure out how to distinguish them from real monochrome raws.

Sure - here you go. BTW - The new app won’t run without admin privileges.

20200522_172506.dng (17.7 MB)

Thanks for the report; I fixed that issue (and an issue with displaying the shutter speed for that image).

What do you mean by “won’t run without admin privileges”? Does it request admin permission every time it’s started? Do you need to right click and “run as admin” for it to work?

I ask because that’s never happened in testing on my Windows laptop.

The app runs fine for me now. I’m unsure what the admin privilege thing is. I do have a small 8 gig Ram machine, and I have to exit Chrome to load Filmulator. Regardless, I’m quite happy with your work. Thanks so much.

2 Likes

I fixed a pair of bugs that occurred when you try to load an image that has been moved or gone missing.

It’s gotten to the point where it’s pretty stable, and I’ve added a lot of features, so I’m calling this v0.9.0rc1.