G'MIC 2.5 on Linux Mint

Hi.
I’m using GIMP and G’MIC for a long time.
My source is ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp.
In this version, G’MIC is 2.4.5.
I try to manually install last version in Linux (it’s OK on Windows), but I can’t.
Any idea ? Any method ?

Thank you for your support and for this work.
Sorry for my poor english. :wink:

@Krol Welcome to the forum!

What did you try?

Did you download from https://gmic.eu/download.shtml?

I try :

• download zip archive (2nd line) : it gives me a gmic_gimp_qt file, and I put it in my .config plug-ins folder. Failed
  • install the .deb package for Bionic. Failed
  • compile from sources with instructions on the page. Failed (files missing)

Try the GIMP AppImage. It should include the latest G’MIC. See GIMP AppImage (continuous integration) and Community-built software.

Well… :frowning:
I purge all my install from PPA, GIMP…
I download the AppImg. It’s OK. But…
NO G’MIC !!!

I took this file : https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-appimage/releases/download/continuous/GIMP_AppImage-release-2.10.8-withplugins-x86_64.AppImage

I really don’t understand…

It is a QT issue. Both zips from www.gmic.eu (Debian sid / 'buntu-cosmic) require a more recent QT than is available.

gmic_gimp_qt needs to be compiled against an older QT5.

This works in a Mint 19 VM Gimp 2.10.8 from the otto-kesselgulasch/gimp PPA.
However plenty compiler warnings about cimgz expansion and the file size is suspiciously small at 7.7MB

The usual: uninstall the old gmic_gimp, unpack the zip, put gmic_gimp_qt-mint19 in ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/plug-ins, check the permissions.

In addition, I would be inclined to rename the old gmic profile ~/.config/gmic as a back-up and start afresh.

1 Like

It works PERFECT !!!
Thank you very much, Master…

Which Linux version are you using?

This is ok. Could you start the AppImage from the terminal, and post the output?

There should be no need to manually install G’MIC, it is bundled in the AppImage already…

Same problem with G’MIC 2.5.6

:frowning:

@Krol Could you try to run the latest GIMP 2.10.10 AppImage, and install the latest G’MIC plugin following the instructions from here?

This is now the recommended method to use G’MIC with the GIMP AppImage.

Let me know how it goes, and I will be happy to help you further.

Perfect !!!

Thank you very much…