Good boy Mr Shakes

On a few occasions, I mentioned that I had a dachshund. His name is Mr Shakes :slight_smile:. He is resting after his first long walk of the season (it’s warmer now), with a little anxiety from the camera (he is a little shy).

If you have a dog or pet, do share a recent photo :wink:. If not, flowers and gardens are welcome too.

10 Likes

Sweet one. Here’s a picture of one of our twos (the younger one):

Edit: His name is Felix

6 Likes

Here’s a picture of ‘Grille’, she’s 15 years old:
D700_20160112_7323

Edit: @Morgan_Hardwood made a really nice picture of ‘Grille’ last year, but I don’t have the raw. @Morgan_Hardwood, please post it here :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Grille looks like a Muppet!

1 Like

:frowning: That may happen also to you at that age…

1 Like

This is Bailey. He and eight of his brothers and sisters were found abandoned in a box at a couple of weeks of age.

7 Likes

I hope I look like Beaker!

1 Like

Since you mentioned flowers, this is from a couple of weeks ago.

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Keep them coming :wink:.

So much for long walks: heavy ice pellets for the next few days!

I keep my photography enthusiasm running by taking flower photos! Here is one taken a few days back.

9 Likes

I’ve probably posted pictures of these before, but they just keep coming back, and looking nice in the light:

Edit: another, more aggressively edited:

7 Likes

@sls141 @ggbutcher Compared to my shots, yours are quite detailed. What should I consider when photographing flowers?

Up close and personal. I’ve developed a habit of tight cropping in all my photography, to the point where my family had to implore me not to cut off the tops of their heads so much.

All the ones I’ve posted were shot with a zoom lens racked out to the upper focal length. Even then, I can only focus so close, so I usually crop in post. Edit: @Thomas_Do’s parrot tulip is a beautiful example, much better than any of mine.

The only other thing I think is worth pointing out is that I resize and sharpen specifically for the web post. I don’t upload full-sized, and leave my image to the whims of the 19-year-old programmer who chose the resize algorithm for the web server or browser… :smile:

That shot never should have happened. It was a sunny, warm day and I noticed the crocus blossoms had opened up while on the way from my car and back into the house. I was getting ready to leave and didn’t have much time. My Nikkor 200-500mm f5.6 was on my D7100 so, it was that setup or nothing. I set the aperture to f11 and laid on the ground and took a few shots. Looking at the raw histogram, I see that I managed to expose to the right and not clip any highlights. I was surprised that the direct sunlight actually gave me that result. Hope this helps.

My cats: Tito (black) and Rhodesia (white).
Their names are like those of cookies here in Argentina.

8 Likes

I wish I had a fur baby, but all I have are these flowers.

4 Likes

Here’s a picture of ‘Grille’, she’s 15 years old:
D700_20160112_7323

We had to let her go to happy dachshounds hunting ground 3 days ago :cry:

8 Likes

Yesterday, I decided to carry the camera while walking Mr Shakes. He is an active one, twisting and turning and never stopping even when taking a rest. I could not get a good shot, being inexperienced and all. I was about to give up. I decided to take one more, and voila, one that I could share! I had to be patient, waiting for the right moment. It was a closeup. I had to sit in the middle of the park pathway. It would have been better if I could get some of the park in the background but every time I got up or moved back he would follow me because he wanted to sit next to me.

Sunny day at the park. Boy are we thirsty!

11 Likes

Peggy, which isn’t really mine, but my nephew’s:

(the left ear is occasionally erect, too)

9 Likes

Get closer… :slight_smile:

3 Likes