Happy little doggy with some crazy contrast

Maybe someone likes a high-contrast-challenge. There’s not only direct sunlight, but the doggy is also pretty contrasty itself.

I look forward to seeing how other people will process this. Always appreciate new input and ideas.

My edit in Darktable 3.6

DSC_1291.NEF (25.8 MB)
DSC_1291.NEF.xmp (25.6 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.

3 Likes

Happy little doggy with some crazy contrast_DSC_1291.NEF.xmp (14.1 KB)

nice picture

3 Likes

Great capture!

joyous-dog-DSC_1291_01.NEF.xmp (11.7 KB)
dt 3.6

dog.contrast.pp3 (21.1 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 Latest development

Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

Thanks for your edits so far, I will catch up them later.

Although I like warm colors on sunny pictures, I have just slightly turned down the white balance.

DSC_1291.NEF.xmp (28.0 KB)

Thanks for posting
darktable 3.6
DSC_1291_02.NEF.xmp (35.5 KB)

3 Likes

DSC_1291.NEF.xmp (11.3 KB)

what a cute dog, here is my try in RT 5.8-2983-g3f58095b6:

DSC_1291.jpg.out.pp3 (23,9 KB)

viewing this pic at 100 % you will see a strong noise in his right eye.
I tried to apply denoising as a second tool on the same local spot but was not successful…seems a bug stopped me:

With the pp3 above, you will find the denoising as a second tool of the local spot switched off. Please try yourself by switching on and save/export.

I am not able to reproduce this on another picture but this :frowning: even applying the pp3 to another pic will not create this blue circle. May be one of the devs can give me an idea, whats going wrong here?

@marter : Have you tried using a newer RT version?

I’m not able to reproduce this using 2 different, but newer compared to you, RT versions: The 5.8-2995 appimage and the latest, self build RawTherapee (5.8-3055 incl. poor man’s dehaze).

EDIT: If I remember correctly you are on windows; RTW64NightlyBuilds is rather up-to-date (5.8-3014 at the moment of writing).

Looks like I’m the only one who prefers warm colors :grin:

I think @Suki2019 and @Jade_NL are a little bit dark in the shadows.
@Thomas_Do seems to have a greenish tint and there’s also some crazy stuff going on in the background, done by the tone equalizer.
@Soupy In terms of brightness and contrast similar to mine, just colder. The JPG shows some artifact on the snout, but it doesn’t show up und DT when I open your xmp.

Just my impressions base on my taste. I don’t claim to be right :upside_down_face:

Thanks for showing your edits. Hop for more to come.

Hi @Jade_NL , thanks for your answer, yes i am on windows.

what i did: first i tried to reproduce this on a different computer with the same dev-Version and found this blue eye again. then following your advice, i downloaded the newest build, loaded the happy little dog and applied the existing pp3: blue eye again in a little different shape.

Then i applied the pp3 to the playRaw Dublin Bay Rose, up close. and found the blue circle again:

Both are NEF-files, but i cannot reproduce on other NEF-files.
Now, since i cannot reproduce on other pics, i dont have any idea, how to create an issue on github…

RawTherapee_dev_5.8-3014-g94b5f7232_W64_znver2_210727

I can confirm this “bug?”…

@Jade_NL

Shure you activated “Blur/Grain & Denoise”? It’s off in the pp3.
grafik

Yes, the background is problematic. Below I did an edit masking out the background. Looks better to me now. @apostel338, I can not see, or measure a greenish tint. If anything, I see more of a red cast. Where do you see this green?

DSC_1291.NEF.xmp (17.0 KB)

1 Like

Interesting…

Just to be absolutely sure I re-downloaded the RAW from this topic, the Dublin Bay Rose RAW and your pp3. This time I loaded them into my RT version that I use for personal stuff (version 5.8-3050). I shoot with Nikon so I also tried them out on a Z6II, D750 and D700 NEF file, same result.

I do see that denoise is happening when I turn it on/off, but no blue artefact. Tried with and without setting a neutral profile before loading your pp3.

I’m not able to reproduce this.

EDIT: @apostel338 : Yep, turned it on. Also tried removing and turning on/off the other 2.

Have you exported? It’s doesn’t show in RT.

I did with the previous 2 versions. Let me try with 5.8-3050:

@apostel338 @marter What settings are you using to export?

@Jade_NL , yes, i downloaded both fies from this topic. Did you save the file to disk? The blue will not show in RT, only after export.
Edit:
I tried with export to external editor, but also by save the file. No difference.

@marter : You should file a bug report. If more people are able to reproduce this and even if it turns out to be a quality/subsampling settings issue, this should not happen.

As you can see in my previous reply I’m not able to reproduce, but I’m no RT authority, maintainer or developer. I’m just lucky I guess :laughing:

@Jade_NL ok, i will try thank you very much!

@Thomas_Do Yes, better. I think there’s just some tricking to my eyes. You’re right, in fact, there’s no tint on the dog.